Question on dining

OttawaJohn

Hello everyone;

I am looking for some insight into dining with Princess

My wife and I have done a few cruises, but almost all with NCL. We were attracted to the 'freestyle' idea, the ability to eat when we want, alone.

We were not enticed by the idea of having to eat at a set time and with strangers. We like to enjoy our time together when on a cruise and not have to sit with others.

We recently did a Disney cruise, the first time we broke out of the NCL mode, and though the set dining times were annoying, we got used to them.

The key thing was that the line made note of our desire to sit alone and on each meal we were able to do so.

I can't seem to find anything on the Princess website saying if they will do the same. It mentions the set dining times but nothing about privacy options.

Can anyone comment?

Do you have to eat with others, or can they seat a couple privately?

Thanks in advance

Hello everyone;

I am looking for some insight into dining with Princess

My wife and I have done a few cruises, but almost all with NCL. We were attracted to the 'freestyle' idea, the ability to eat when we want, alone.

We were not enticed by the idea of having to eat at a set time and with strangers. We like to enjoy our time together when on a cruise and not have to sit with others.

We recently did a Disney cruise, the first time we broke out of the NCL mode, and though the set dining times were annoying, we got used to them.

The key thing was that the line made note of our desire to sit alone and on each meal we were able to do so.

I can't seem to find anything on the Princess website saying if they will do the same. It mentions the set dining times but nothing about privacy options.

Can anyone comment?

Do you have to eat with others, or can they seat a couple privately?

Thanks in advance

On Princess you can request a table for two at set time dining or anytime dining. Anytime dining allows you to show up to a specified main dining room whenever you want. Depending on table availability you may be seated at your table for two immediately or you may be given a beeper and have a short (5-20min) wait. You can make reservations for anytime dining as well. You can also make reservations for 2 at any if the specialty restaurants.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Being seated privately is not the same on a ship as what you would get a a restaurant at home. The tables for 2 are relatively close together (sometimes 12 inches from each other).

I have been in restaurants (maybe more like bar/grills) on land where tables are that close.

We always do Anytime dining on Princess and almost always ask for a table for two. We very seldom call in for a reserved time. Sometimes we are seated at the tables for two that are very close together, but often it is a table for four for just the two of us.

Normally, little to no wait; however, we don't tend to eat at the most popular times, we usually eat rather late, so that does make a difference. The most we've ever waited is perhaps 10 minutes on a formal night. Often we walk right in.

With set times you can certainly ask for and get a table for two.

I have been in restaurants (maybe more like bar/grills) on land where tables are that close.

I suppose there are some restaurants like that on land but on Princess's ships they are closer than I've even seen elsewhere.

I can live with it since I usually don't generate conversations but some people who have never experienced it before are surprised when they think it's going to be "private".

Book a suite or a "club class" mini. Either way you will be eligible for Club Class Dining. You can eat when you want with no waiting. You get a separate part of the dining room and can always have a table for two. Discuss seating when you board and you will likely be able to have seating that makes you happy.

Princess has two basic dining choices in their main DR's.

Traditional Dining - Same waiter, Same Table, Same Time. You can request you time and table size in the cruise personlizer. In the TD case make certain you visit the maitre'd on boarding day. He has hours in the afternoon. Requested table size is not guaranteed.

Anytime Dining. - Show up when you wish to dine. Request a table for two. You may have to wait. Most Princess ships sailing from U.S. ports have 3 DR's that work this way. Mid ship deck 5 is ATD from 5pm onwards. Mid ship deck 6 is ATD from 7:30pm onwards. Aft deck 6 is TD all evening. If you wish to dine early table for two fill between 5:30 and 6. The next window is about 90 min later. If you wish to dine after 7:30, no problem tables are almost always available. Two ships the Island Princess and Coral Princess only have two DR's. My experience is that these ships do not handle ATD very well.

Here is my suggestion to maximize getting a table for 2 every night.

1. Book TD for second seating and ask for a table for 2.

2. When you board, your cruise card will show which dining room, table and time you are assigned.

3. Go to that dining room and see if it is acceptable.

4. If not, the Maitre'd is available the first afternoon in one of the dining rooms. See Princess Patter for specifics.

5. As MD for a table for two at either TD seating.

6. If all else fails, ask to switch to AD and hope for the best each evening.

You can always go to the buffet, no problem getting a table for 2 there.

Being seated privately is not the same on a ship as what you would get a a restaurant at home. The tables for 2 are relatively close together (sometimes 12 inches from each other).

They seem closer than that.:eek:

Have you guys sailed on the Regal? Although the space between tables has never been an issue for us, I was surprised to see there was considerably more space between the tables for two in the Anytime Dinning Rooms (and we always have a twofer).

Have you guys sailed on the Regal? Although the space between tables has never been an issue for us, I was surprised to see there was considerably more space between the tables for two in the Anytime Dinning Rooms (and we always have a twofer).

I think your correct. They did allow a little more space on that class ship. I do recall some tables in the middle that were roomier.