Royal Caribbean class action lawsuit

wbggirl

"Instead of allowing would-be vacationers to reschedule in light of the category 4 storm, a federal lawsuit alleges, the cruise line forced families to choose between traveling into the path of the hurricane for an Aug. 27 ship departure or forfeiting all the money shelled out for the pricey trip."

I believe if a state of emergency or disaster goes into effect for a departure port and travel to that port not possible, that cruise lines should be offering a refund in those situations. Plural. Heck "All".

I always travel with insurance and I read the contracts, but to me these are extenuating circumstances and RC waited too long to make a decision.

This will be settled out fairly quietly.

They must not have had insurance or common sense or both combined.

Even though RC did not do the right thing when they should have it seems even worse to take your 6 and 3 year into the storm. Especially when travelling all the way from Canada. That part makes no sense.

I'd say people fire up the popcorn machines, get out the bags sunflower seeds and peanuts. This is gonna be one of those threads.

They must not have had insurance or common sense or both combined.

For those who are going to post that they should have had insurance, read this article to see what having insurance did for them:

""The insurance company told us that, if the cruise didn't cancel the trip, then weather wasn't bad enough, it didn't classify adverse weather unless that boat cancelled that trip,” she said."

http://kfor.com/2017/08/27/they-had-no-consideration-for-safety-oklahoma-family-says-cruise-delayed-cancellation-during-harvey-storm/

For those who are going to post that they should have had insurance, read this article to see what having insurance did for them:

""The insurance company told us that, if the cruise didn't cancel the trip, then weather wasn't bad enough, it didn't classify adverse weather unless that boat cancelled that trip,” she said."

http://kfor.com/2017/08/27/they-had-no-consideration-for-safety-oklahoma-family-says-cruise-delayed-cancellation-during-harvey-storm/

I did read the article but did missed the part you quoted. In all honesty, sorry. I also stated that RC should have done the right thing quicker.

However I still hold to the common sense portion. Why risk life to travel from Canada into a Hurricane. Be damned the cruise cost.

Edit to add: I have no problem with the lawsuit, it is their choice.

This is why cancel for any reason insurance is always a good idea.

The cruise line handled this sailing very poorly, but there is no way I would have flown into that area knowing that a huge hurricane was coming.

People are stupid.

They should never have gone there. They should have not gone and worried about fighting with their insurance company and royal after the fact.

Why people put themselves in these situations is beyond me. And the money excuse doesn't fly. It's not like your getting any money back by going. You've already spent it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have used Travel Guard insurance as my travel insurance, mainly because I can purchase it at the time of my cruise through my TA . I have purchased it in the past because of my aging mothers health and the distinct possibility we would have to cancel because of that. She went to "her glory" a couple of weeks ago, so my focus on coverage has shifted. With all of this said, can someone help me know which travel insurance actually covers everything, if such a thing even exist. I would really appreciate helpful input.

I have used Travel Guard insurance as my travel insurance, mainly because I can purchase it at the time of my cruise through my TA . I have purchased it in the past because of my aging mothers health and the distinct possibility we would have to cancel because of that. She went to "her glory" a couple of weeks ago, so my focus on coverage has shifted. With all of this said, can someone help me know which travel insurance actually covers everything, if such a thing even exist. I would really appreciate helpful input.

Without just reading what each policy offers, it is almost impossible. Websites like insuremytrip let you choose to filter by things you want covered, but just using a ta (or insurance person) you trust would probably help.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

One of the cruisers had the RC insurance. When the cruise was canceled, her insurance was canceled too, so she was out all the money she had to pay while stranded in Houston.

Everyone says ‘serves them right for not having insurance’ but they wouldn’t have been covered unless they had cancel for any reason, and even then they would have only got 70-75% back. One family had spent $14k on this trip. I can’t imagine many of us can afford to walk away from that kind of money.

And the truth is that RC’s insistence that the cruise was going to sail on time and the assertions from RC’s chief meteorologist that the weather was not that bad, led some people to believe that the news was just hyping things up and that it was going to be OK.

I expect that this will be settled quickly anyway, all they really needed to do was reimburse people for the out of pocket expenses.

As with most class action law suits the attorneys will be the ones that make out on this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While true, hopefully it'll be painful enough to RCL to teach them to handle these situations better in the future.