Royal Caribbean class action lawsuit

wbggirl

Most travel insurance policies do not cover cancelling a trip because of weather forecasts, no matter how bad those are. We were booked on this cruise and had RCI's travel insurance, as usual. We cancelled on Aug. 25, filed our claim for the "cancel for any reason" on Aug. 29 and received notice on Sept.8 that RCI would be giving us 75% of unrefundable payments as future cruise credit. All taxes and port fees were refunded back to the credit card by RCI just a few days after we cancelled. Most travel policies do not offer "cancel for any reason". So, unless anyone had this type coverage, travel insurance would have done them no good. Regardless of the positive outcome for us, I do feel that RCI owes something to the folks they demanded to travel or lose their money for hotel, meals and any other travel costs to those who were stranded. I wish them good luck with this suit.

Royal handled this cruise so poorly they deserve to be punished. I hope they lose the court case and the settlement is steep enough to make them act more responsibly next time.

And if there is a HUGE settlement, who do you think will pay?

YOU will, in higher cruise fares and reduced benefits and perks.

It always amazes me when people say that XYZ company should pay.

They are businesses. Hurt them a little, and you pay higher prices. Hurt them a lot, and they go out of business. And with less competition, prices go up.

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to sue. I think RC deserves it and I also hope RC loses.

The majority of people who did have insurance weren't able to cash in on it because the actual cruise wasn't cancelled.

There were a lot of stories from people with insurance being out of luck during the Harvey and Irma disasters, and currently, many people looking at sailings out of Puerto Rico in the next few weeks are also having to wait until the last minute to see if Royal will cancel.

Without "Cancel for any reason" insurance, people got really screwed by Royal choosing to change the sail date and shorten those cruises rather than cancelling them outright. People had to scramble to make new flight and hotel arrangements, knowing that the hotels and airports would likely be damaged or closed and unable to accommodate those reservations once they got there.

I don't think people who did not have any insurance at all have as much of a leg to stand on, because they knew they were taking a risk of losing their money, but I think people who bought insurance and got screwed over by Royal making all those sail date alterations should sue, and win.

I wonder what happened to that man who was flying in from Europe the night before the Florida hurricane hit. He had a pre-cruise Miami vacation planned before the cruise. His flight hadn't been cancelled because there was no damage yet, but he knew he was going to be stuck in a hurricane with nowhere to go as soon as he arrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

On the afternoon of Saturday, Aug. 26, according to legal filings, the cruise line's chief meteorologist tweeted: "Weather looking favorable tonight and tomorrow."

As of Sunday Aug.27, we had already received 12 of the 45 inches of rain our area received from Harvey. Sorry RC you need a new meteorologist.

Good luck cruisers, I hope you win this one big time!!!!

Going on vacation and suing for lost wages?

Lawyers getting richer, more they sue for more they get. Some get 40-50% of settlement. I was in class action suit 20 yrs ago against Royal. Back then you missed a port Royal never gave the Port Tax back. Settlement was $7 million everyone got $7 back for every port missed. I got $28 that had to be used for a Royal cruise within a yr.

Royal handled this cruise so poorly they deserve to be punished. I hope they lose the court case and the settlement is steep enough to make them act more responsibly next time.
People on Facebook are PRAYING for Royal Caribbean and calling the plaintiffs bloodsuckers

This is why cancel for any reason insurance is always a good idea.

The cruise line handled this sailing very poorly, but there is no way I would have flown into that area knowing that a huge hurricane was coming.

And have Good Insurance! Was in car accident in 1999, out work 2 yrs & had neck fusion. 4 kids in car with me but none hurt. Other driver hit me from behind at 45 mph while at standstill. I sued, she only had 50000 auto insurance, which my lawyer got 30%. At time I carried 50000/100000 then and since carry 500,000/500,000, so that I'm covered in case others aren't...

This is why cancel for any reason insurance is always a good idea.

The cruise line handled this sailing very poorly, but there is no way I would have flown into that area knowing that a huge hurricane was coming.

What would be the reason? Bad weather? Not covered. There was only a tropical storm warning, not a hurricane warning and the cruise wasn't cancelled.

?????

It's not cancel for "no reason"... it is cancel for any of the hundred listed reasons like lost a job, or got sick, or went bankrupt...

Bad weather wasnt covered.

The cruise wasn't cancelled.

What would be the covered reason in the cancel for any reason insurance?

I got hung up in this in April. Cancel for any reason still has the reasons listed on some policies.

ETA: it has every reason you can think of BUT "I changed my mind and don't want to go" is not a covered reason. "It is raining hard" is not a covered reason.

It's not cancel for "no reason"... it is cancel for any of the hundred listed reasons like lost a job, or got sick, or went bankrupt...

Bad weather wasnt covered.

The cruise wasn't cancelled.

What would be the covered reason in the cancel for any reason insurance?

I got hung up in this in April. Cancel for any reason still has the reasons listed on some policies.

ETA: it has every reason you can think of BUT "I changed my mind and don't want to go" is not a covered reason. "It is raining hard" is not a covered reason.

What you described is not cancel for any reason insurance. Cancel for any reason insurance will allow you to cancel just because. Royal Caribbean's cancel for any reason insurance gives you a 75% future cruise credit.

What insurance did you have?

Allianz. I thought it was cancel for any reason, but it truly was cancel for 1,000 different reasons but changing your mind and not wanting to go is not a reason. Every other reason. Not that one reason.

This is what some people got hung up with. They had great trip insurance that covered everything they could think of, but because the cruise wasn't cancelled and there was not a hurricane warning, their policies "fell through the cracks" of coverage. If there was a hurricane warning, they would have been covered. If RC cancelled, they would have been covered.

Some people had trip insurance and still couldn't use it because of how RC handled it.

So they went to Houston. The rc meteorologist said it was good to go.

Then they got stuck in Houston and couldn't get home and it was a giant waste of time and money for them. Because of RC

Just to add: that was my 6th cruise (we had a good time and were glad we went)... and I had always bought and shopped around and researched trip insurance. So I had a brain fart and thought I bought a cancel for any reason policy. My fault. I screwed up, and learned the nuances of the policies. Plus, there are 5 of us, so I also had to weigh cost of policies.

It can happen where you get caught in a non covered reason... and thinking you had a policy that covers all reasons you can think of...

Didn't vote, because the choice is one extreme or the other. And there's alot in between. Yes I do care who the cruise director is now that I've sailed with a couple of superb ones. I would follow them on any ship they sailed, but then I would be giving up too much of everything else I consider when booking cruises. So therefore I don't. A cruise director that can host a good party and is friendly and engaged makes a cruise for me much more enjoyable. That said - the cost, destination, and time of year will always be my primary deciding factors.

Best advice ever. 1st thing we tell all new employees, get 100k, 300k or more auto. Lol. Work for large PI law firm in Connecticut. We might be insurance capital of the U.S., but can drive with 20k, 40k. Always pay extra for any reason trip insurance. But I do work with insurance companies every day.

And have Good Insurance! Was in car accident in 1999, out work 2 yrs & had neck fusion. 4 kids in car with me but none hurt. Other driver hit me from behind at 45 mph while at standstill. I sued, she only had 50000 auto insurance, which my lawyer got 30%. At time I carried 50000/100000 then and since carry 500,000/500,000, so that I'm covered in case others aren't...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Best advice ever. 1st thing we tell all new employees, get 100k, 300k or more auto. Lol. Work for large PI law firm in Connecticut. We might be insurance capital of the U.S., but can drive with 20k, 40k. Always pay extra for any reason trip insurance. But I do work with insurance companies every day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Lol That is a good trick, Kevin. You multi-quoted from two different threads, in two different forums. I was looking at your post thinking, what poll?;p:D

There must be different types of Cancel For Any Reason Insurance because I had that for a cruise I just decided I didn't want to go on and I got 80% of my expenses back. Yes, one must read the fine print or just ask the agent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I mean people make real world mistakes with trip insurance.

Going on vacation and suing for lost wages?

So your vacation time isn't worth anything to you? Considering these people had to use their vacation time to sit in a hotel, stranded with no food and no ability to leave, I think this is a completely fair thing to ask for.

People on Facebook are PRAYING for Royal Caribbean and calling the plaintiffs bloodsuckers

Never underestimate corporation worship in the US. Whole cities hosted Prayer Vigils for Blue Bell Ice Cream after they killed people, due to gross negligence and misconduct. (They hid test results that showed their plants where infected, stopped testing, hid information that showed they had made people sick, hid information on the infected test results in their plants after people died, etc).

As with most class action law suits the attorneys will be the ones that make out on this.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If they win, which is debateable, the lawyers will win millions and the dumb class people will win a voucher good for $25 if they meet several conditions...

JC