Child proof balcony doors?

Is there a way to child proof the balcony doors so that small kids 7-2 can't somehow get out on to the balcony. I ask because we're looking at adjoining rooms but I'm paranoid and afraid my kids are going to get on the balcony at night and give me a heart attack.

I've googled and found some really old threads - one said there might be a secondary lock at the top of the door that kids can't reach?

Liberty & Vision of the Seas by the way.

Thanks!

A two year old would not be able to open the slider.

I believe there are child locks on the upper part of the slider, but I suspect a seven year old would be able to move a chair near the door, climb up, and release the lock.

Liberty has a very few connecting staterooms where one is a balcony and the other is either an inside or oceanview. Check out the forward and aft ends of deck 9.

The latches are difficult to open but not impossible. It is more than a typical handle where just push down and it opens at 90 degrees...you basically have to turn it 180 degrees or more.

My youngest was 3 when we first started cruising and that was a concern. Our rule was that the kids could never open the balcony...I understand that may be too much for the 2 year old to understand but not the 7 year old. They also aren't allowed to go outside on the balcony without us. That being said hopefully you can get the connecting rooms of a balcony to interior.

Keep the door between rooms open, so you can hear if the door is opened....maybe close the drapes and pin some bells to the top...the 4 year old can't open the door. And think about it...has the 4 year old ever jumped off some sort of high railing before? Kids have amazing self--preservation skills. They will be fine.

A two year old would not be able to open the slider.

I believe there are child locks on the upper part of the slider, but I suspect a seven year old would be able to move a chair near the door, climb up, and release the lock.

Liberty has a very few connecting staterooms where one is a balcony and the other is either an inside or oceanview. Check out the forward and aft ends of deck 9.

These are already booked :( It would have been an excellent option though!

Keep the door between rooms open, so you can hear if the door is opened....maybe close the drapes and pin some bells to the top...the 4 year old can't open the door. And think about it...has the 4 year old ever jumped off some sort of high railing before? Kids have amazing self--preservation skills. They will be fine.

So the adjoining door stays open easily? You have a point... though she does tend to jump off the couch despite our best efforts to have her NOT do that. :rolleyes:

So the adjoining door stays open easily? You have a point... though she does tend to jump off the couch despite our best efforts to have her NOT do that. :rolleyes:

You can always put a chair or piece of luggage against the door to keep it open.

The slider on those ships does indeed have a child proof lock....I would think it would be difficult for a 4 year old to have anything tall enough to stand on and reach that hard to open lock. I have a bit of experience cruising with toddler grandchildren ;)

And think about it...has the 4 year old ever jumped off some sort of high railing before? Kids have amazing self--preservation skills. They will be fine.

I see this in international building codes. For one cycle, there was a requirement that railings in residences had to be non-climbable. It was removed, because they did some research and found that kids aren't THAT stupid. :)

They climb up, look over at the drop, and go, "UUUHHHH, NO."

Issues happen when furniture is placed near a railing and the child is bouncing or playing on the furniture and accidentally flips over the railing.

The sliding doors are heavy and the mechanisms are stiff - probably too stiff for little fingers to easily open. I am a smallish adult and have found in certain cabins that I had to really use my whole weight to get the door to start to slide, and really push on the handle to get it to open or close completely. I think with the connecting door open you'll hear your kids struggling with it before they are actually able to open it.

On the Harmony both my wife and I thought there was something wrong with our patio door. It was SOOOO hard to slide open. I finally figured out we were not turning the handle far enough. So if a 54 year old and a 49 year old have problems ya'll should be ok. We both felt a little silly. HA. Heavy doors too.