Local ships such as P&O may be squeezed out of White Bay

More scare-mongering.

1) White bay has ample capacity, being filled up on very few days through the year - <10 I suspect without checking.

2) Given the growth in efficiencies and trend towards larger ships by P&O, it is they who will reduce capacity at white Bay - e.g. when they add Golden Princess she will not be able to berth at White Bay anyway being too large, and if they remove another ship as is expected e.g. Pacific Jewel it will increase availability at White Bay.

Sydney at least has 2 terminals with Newcastle also coming on line to open up the Hunter. Melbourne has a pier that should have been condemned 30 years ago and Pollies who do not know that a cruise industry exists. If an industry is not connected to sport in Victoria our it goes, no ball no bucks. .

More scare-mongering.

1) White bay has ample capacity, being filled up on very few days through the year - <10 I suspect without checking.

2) Given the growth in efficiencies and trend towards larger ships by P&O, it is they who will reduce capacity at white Bay - e.g. when they add Golden Princess she will not be able to berth at White Bay anyway being too large, and if they remove another ship as is expected e.g. Pacific Jewel it will increase availability at White Bay.

I agree.

Unlikely. I travel to Sydney regularly and it is rare to see two ships at White Bay at once.

If the cruise lines only want to bring large ships to Sydney during peak cruise season, they should consider nearby ports, such as Newcastle and Woolongong. What is the transit time from these cities to Sydney? Think of all the ports 2 - 3 hours away from a well known tourist city.

I agree.

Unlikely. I travel to Sydney regularly and it is rare to see two ships at White Bay at once.

If the cruise lines only want to bring large ships to Sydney during peak cruise season, they should consider nearby ports, such as Newcastle and Woolongong. What is the transit time from these cities to Sydney? Think of all the ports 2 - 3 hours away from a well known tourist city.

Transit time by train from Central station is 2.5Hrs or add 15 mins if from Sydney Airport. Newcastle airport (has flights from all over Australia & NZ) to The Harbour is 15Mins. The harbour is very busy as it's the worlds largest Coal port. but people could come in a day early & experience The Hunter Valley or Port Stephens. It would save at least 6 hours on a cruise to the islands too..

• 3 weeks later...
:')

Certainly do. White Bay is safe - for the smaller ships.

I just read a couple of cruising magazines at the library and there is going to be a growth in smaller ships (in addition to a lot of bigger ship new builds). I did not take notes, but noticed some names new to the industry.

I suspect they have identified that there are passengers who prefer to cruise on smaller ships and are happy to pay the higher cost over mega ships in mass market cruise lines.

I just read a couple of cruising magazines at the library and there is going to be a growth in smaller ships (in addition to a lot of bigger ship new builds). I did not take notes, but noticed some names new to the industry.

I suspect they have identified that there are passengers who prefer to cruise on smaller ships and are happy to pay the higher cost over mega ships in mass market cruise lines.

I know for a fact plenty of people like the smaller ships however, for the majority of these people, they will not pay the prices that go along with them and will continue to cruise on their preferred lines despite the ships being sent here being larger and also with a possibility on the others that offer good priced bargain cruises.

I know for a fact plenty of people like the smaller ships however, for the majority of these people, they will not pay the prices that go along with them and will continue to cruise on their preferred lines despite the ships being sent here being larger and also with a possibility on the others that offer good priced bargain cruises.

Not me. I have recently decided to cruise less often, so that I can cruise on small ships which have itineraries which excite me.

Ritz Carlton is one of the new cruiselines building small ships.

For instance look at the per diem prices on Pacific Princess, 650 capacity vessel, double the price of the large Princess ships like Ruby or Royal. Same with Adonia compared to say Brittannia.:evilsmile: Many with the coin want to cruise on these 'boutique ships.'

For instance look at the per diem prices on Pacific Princess, 650 capacity vessel, double the price of the large Princess ships like Ruby or Royal. Same with Adonia compared to say Brittannia.:evilsmile: Many with the coin want to cruise on these 'boutique ships.'

Poorer people, like me, go for the itinerary and the ease of disembarkation from small ships at ports of call. Ocean Princess was my favourite cruise ship for its itinerary, on both occasions.

Poorer people, like me, go for the itinerary and the ease of disembarkation from small ships at ports of call. Ocean Princess was my favourite cruise ship for its itinerary, on both occasions.

Agree with you Marion, hence my booking the 18 nighter and 16 nighter on Adonia next year, up the rivers, overnight stops. Alas, no more.:evilsmile: Azamara is out of my league as is Oceana. Been on Pacific Princess twice some years ago, liked the size and country club atmosphere. It is a wonder that Carnival have not put Pacific Princess on the market.:rolleyes:

Not me. I have recently decided to cruise less often, so that I can cruise on small ships which have itineraries which excite me.

I was referring to my cruise friends that like the smaller ships but will take what they can get when a deal is offered as they feel a cruise is better than no cruise.