Burned by Cruise Next

NewBCruiser29

Now PTC...get it correct LOL. You got (4) $250 deposits in your account for the $500 you gave them. Guess I just have a pet peeve about being lied to when asking a question. Hey I'm good...darn...I just HAVE to go on 2 cruises in next 4 years not just one. "Same boat as you" with $500 in and $1000 to put towards cruises...sorry couldn't resist.

They were very clear to me, no misunderstandings.,.I know the drill..I bought two extra with the possibility of giving two to my 25 year old Son..this was on the 4-7 Escape sailing recently...

NCL was running a promotion recently where one could apply MORE THAN ONE CruiseNext certificate to a cruise. Perhaps you purchased yours when that promotion was valid. However, now that promotion is over you can only use one at a time.

Have they changed the 6 months out and balcony plus rule for using two certs?

Have they changed the 6 months out and balcony plus rule for using two certs?

I used 2 of my 4 $250 deposits a few weeks ago on a balcony for Jan. 2019. Now I see when they say "Use two deposits ($500 off) when booking Balconies (or higher) six (6) months in advance" ....quoting qword for word and including all their punctuation....it doesn't mean the (2) $250 actual DEPOSITS I gave them I save $500 off my next cruise....it means I take $500 off my next cruise bill with the money I gave them and they will give me $500 for a another cruise. No where have I found in any dictionary or legal definition as a deposit being what the seller gives you; only buyers money is considered a deposit. But the term must exist where NCL can legally call money they kick back a "deposit". I just have not found it yet.

Edited by farmermark

Failure to read the terms does not equate being burned.

Have to agree with you; and split hairs. I agree original poster did not get "burned". But I see several who asked specific questions and that qualifies according to dictionary term.

Have to agree with you; and split hairs. I agree original poster did not get "burned". But I see several who asked specific questions and that qualifies according to dictionary term.

I read several who SAY they asked specific questions but I have never seen anyone ask that question and get an even slightly misleading reply, quite the contrary.

I mean when I read people posting email address of top dog of Cruisenext promotions that tells you complaints have gone all the way to top

The thousands of emails sent to "top dogs" at any cruise lines daily are automatically routed to offshore call centers and are handled by those call center personnel pressing a button to generate form letters back to senders. "Top Dogs" don't read any of the emails sent to their public facing accounts.

The thousands of emails sent to "top dogs" at any cruise lines daily are automatically routed to offshore call centers and are handled by those call center personnel pressing a button to generate form letters back to senders. "Top Dogs" don't read any of the emails sent to their public facing accounts.

Let me emphasize top dogs of "CruiseNext" promotions. Not of the company. This is not the only thread or only website dealing with this issue.

The endlessly looped CruiseNext video on the ship's tv clearly states the rules.

Now lets look at the video. It clearly states deposits cost $250 each...word for word in looped onboard commercial. Yet that is not the case. You give them $500.....you end up with (4) $250 deposits....not (2) $250 deposits you paid and matching free money. You get 4 "deposits" that cost you $125 each. You cant argue math. That is where slight of hand takes root. Showing this commercial and the brochure I was handed under door; 16 people all came up with there would be $1000 toward a balcony with DoubleUp! 2x Free Money: Use two deposits ($500 off) when booking Balconies (or higher) six (6) months in advance" When you end up with 4 "DEPOSITS" for $500; NOT 2 deposits and $500 free money towards "a" cruise. "Enjoy up to 4 years to book a Norwegian cruise of 6 days or longer. It says "a"cruise,,,,not 4 years to book number of cruises required to use up the what they call "depsoits" at end of sale and free money before sale.

Thanks for warm reception Birdtravels. See you have.Total Posts

Total Posts: 10,797

Posts Per Day: 9.53

Hey Farmer, this is the result of commenting on nearly every thread out here, sometimes hours after multiple posts had already provided the CORRECT information/answers. If anyone is going to call someone on replying to an old thread it should be the moderators, don't you agree? Her comments tend to be on the rude side especially if you say anything against NCL.

Hey Farmer, this is the result of commenting on nearly every thread out here, sometimes hours after multiple posts had already provided the CORRECT information/answers. If anyone is going to call someone on replying to an old thread it should be the moderators, don't you agree? Her comments tend to be on the rude side especially if you say anything against NCL.

I had already picked up on "especially if you say anything against NCL" with only being member for one day. Looking at posts listings it is very evident. Actually I really liked Norwegian. Granted I am first time cruiser who has booked 2nd cruise. But liked the value I think I see with NCL. Not a party boat as others are known and not priced as high as others. And I loved freestyle dining with 4 upgrade dinners. Even crazy enough to book the Dawn a 2nd time; because I liked the 8 ports (now 7) it was going to visit next Jan. in S. Caribbean. Fantastic experience all around on first cruise....until asking about program when called over by CruiseNext rep and told wrong when asking question. Like I said; I let it go as soon as I heard them talk about don't worry about 4 $250 credits in the account when they come knowing I had just been bait and switched, I'm going to become a cruiseholic.

Edited by farmermark

• 4 weeks later...

Farmer, I am a bargain hunter/lover just like many ones. I am also a newbie cruiser and a newbie to NCL. Yours truly will be going on the Escape in 3 days; have also booked a February 2020 cruise on the Bliss. So, yea, I dig NCL and think that cruising is the ideal vacation for me (I had done many land-based travels to many places here in U.S. and abroad in the previous decades.) So it's not unlikely that I would consider "Cruise Next" offers.

I do appreciate your calling out the lies and misrepresentations made by NCL reps and helping to clarify the deal, and alerting people who could be potentially misled.

As for the others' comments for and against this matter, I see it as a matter of expectation and whether that expectation is being met. Of course, expectations are formed by information fed to us, and HOW it was fed to us ... the right information gives us the right expectation; the wrong information leads us to the wrong expectation!

I relate to the feeling of being deceived. I was told I could put down $250 and get $125 obc or I could put down $500 and get two $250 deposits for free. It was very confusing in the moment, but it ends up either way that you are paying $125 for each $250 certificate. So I go with the $250 w $125 obc so I don’t overbuy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I relate to the feeling of being deceived. I was told I could put down $250 and get $125 obc or I could put down $500 and get two $250 deposits for free. It was very confusing in the moment, but it ends up either way that you are paying $125 for each $250 certificate. So I go with the $250 w $125 obc so I don’t overbuy.]

You must buy at least 2 certificates to get the 50% discount. Never underbuy just one, cuz you cut your discount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went on a cruise this July with my mom and while onboard they did their CruiseNext credit pitch. We decided to take advantage and each put down $500... they left out telling us the part where you can only apply 1 $250 credit per room otherwise we would have never done this because it makes no sense. We were under the impression that we were each putting down a $500 deposit for our next cruise fare and thus almost paying half advance. We just found this 1 credit per room rule out when we booked our next cruise and tried to apply our credits. Has anyone had a similar experience and/or successfully fought NCL on this? Obviously looking now, it's in the fine print, I just think it's deceptive that they don't tell you this outright. I know our chances of fighting them on it are slim but I figure it's worth a shot, right?

There is no 'fine print'. The T&C are in the same print as everything else. Failure to read T&C does not mean it is deceptive. Also, on every cruise I have been on, I have always heard the cruise net team tell the potential purchaser that you can use up to two per cabin on a balcony or higher (BTW that is permanent now per the cruise next team). You did not get burned in any sense of the word. You paid $500 and got $500 worth of certificates plus a $250 OBC. You MADE $250. There is absolutely nothing to fight.

I went on a cruise this July with my mom and while onboard they did their CruiseNext credit pitch. We decided to take advantage and each put down $500... they left out telling us the part where you can only apply 1 $250 credit per room otherwise we would have never done this because it makes no sense. We were under the impression that we were each putting down a $500 deposit for our next cruise fare and thus almost paying half advance. We just found this 1 credit per room rule out when we booked our next cruise and tried to apply our credits. Has anyone had a similar experience and/or successfully fought NCL on this? Obviously looking now, it's in the fine print, I just think it's deceptive that they don't tell you this outright. I know our chances of fighting them on it are slim but I figure it's worth a shot, right?

just realized poster posted 8 months ago and never returned. I always find this interesting.

Edited by newmexicoNita

We have used cruise next certificates and usually purchase 2 or 4 when cruising. They’re a good deal. Having said that I always feel like I’m talking to some film flam artist when purchasing them. [emoji849]. I use them, understand how they work but leave confused after talking to them. Probably just me.

I hate to go off topic, but I was curious if these certificates can be used even if you put a deposit on a future cruise. I have a few in the future that I only put down the $50 deposit. I will be leaving in a few weeks and was considering purchasing some.

TIA

They can only be used at the time of booking. They can’t be applied as a credit later.

They can only be used at the time of booking. They can’t be applied as a credit later.

This is incorrect. I have used them on cruises that I have already had booked. In fact I even used one on a cruise in which I was already past final payment and was paid in full. They refunded $250 back to my credit card.

This is incorrect. I have used them on cruises that I have already had booked. In fact I even used one on a cruise in which I was already past final payment and was paid in full. They refunded $250 back to my credit card.

Totally agree as I just used one for a cruise that I booked back at the beginning of the year. Funny thing is when I bought these in April on the Escape I was only going to buy one and the CN guy told me that I should buy two of them. I'm so glad that he talked me into that as I have already applied both certificates to two separate cruises. Also because I had OBC that I hadn't used I used that money to buy these certificates so I got $500 worth of certificates for a total of $133. Win win for me!!

The first time we bought them, we did not notice, get told or read the fine print. They also made it seem to us that you could always use two. However, it was just the current promotion when we purchased them. It has just given us a reason to cruise more :). But like other posters has said, some cruises still take two, you have several years to use them or sell one. They are transferable, and even selling it under the face value you still profit.

NCL often has cruises you can use 2 of the certificates at a time; or even promos to use 2 on any cruise. We used 2 of ours for the cruise we are taking in a couple of weeks. We still have 2 more. This cruise it's me, DH, my mom and a friend; our next cruise will be just me and DH so even if we use one we are okay with that.

I was also able to do that. However, both my cruises are not yet within final payment.