Canadian Passport-6 Month validity required

Just booked the Allure Nov 5/17, passport expired end of April/18

Have not read any clear answers weather passport will be an issue

Thanks....

Not sure about Canada, but USA for closed loop Caribbean not including Cuba, that rule is only for flying into, not cruising

Also agree to just renew it right now. If you go to a Service Canada office it takes longer, as the application is mailed to Toronto. If you go to a Passport Office it is a quicker turnaround time. My husband used a Service Canada office and it was still very quick, about 3 weeks.

Also agree to just renew it right now. If you go to a Service Canada office it takes longer, as the application is mailed to Toronto. If you go to a Passport Office it is a quicker turnaround time. My husband used a Service Canada office and it was still very quick, about 3 weeks.

Why? Is it a different requirement than USA? No reason AT ALL to renew if it is

Why? Is it a different requirement than USA? No reason AT ALL to renew if it is

Yes we have different rules then the US. You need a passport for the US as a Canadian citizen.

OP I believe you do not require it to be valid for 6 months for travel to the US. Just valid past date of return. Not sure what requirement are for any other countries you may be visiting.

But honestly I would just go and get a 10 year one now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A couple of the Caribbean islands we are visiting require passports to have 6 months left before expiry for entrance to their countries. We would only have 5 months left when visiting so have to bite the bullet and renew early...would hate to be barred from boarding ship because of that!

A couple of the Caribbean islands we are visiting require passports to have 6 months left before expiry for entrance to their countries. We would only have 5 months left when visiting so have to bite the bullet and renew early...would hate to be barred from boarding ship because of that!

Check to see if that rule applies to cruise ships.... the rules are often different if you're flying in for a vacation stay versus if you're just popping in for a half-day cruise ship visit.

Thanks....

Better to be safe than sorry. Renew your passport before the cruise.

I was in the same boat last year. I didn't get a clear cut answer. Just renew it now

you got lots of time.160$ 10 yr. cheapest place to get your picture done was at Costco

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check to see if that rule applies to cruise ships.... the rules are often different if you're flying in for a vacation stay versus if you're just popping in for a half-day cruise ship visit.

It is not so much a matter of what the to be visited countries require, as what the cruise line insists on.

I think to renew makes sence...after more reserch I belive for closed loop cruies back to the same port its not required but better to be safe...thanks...

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/canadian-travel-documentation

Here in Calgary, I just renewed for 10yrs and I received my passport in 6 days. Didn't even ask for a rush.

So, renewal is the best thing to do.

Only 6 days. Quick. Takes much longer to renew in USA.

Thanks....

I sailed Febuary 2017 and my passport had 2 months before expiring no problem but that was febuary do not know if requirements have changed.

But you are not entering these countries as you will not go through immigration. You will be considered as "in transit" guests.

Thanks! I was just going off the government website but didn't see anything mentioned about cruises...

In the final analysis it really doesn't matter what the countries being visited require because the cruise line will not let you on the ship if you don't meet its requirements. You may want to read https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/q...-documentation.

In the final analysis it really doesn't matter what the countries being visited require because the cruise line will not let you on the ship if you don't meet its requirements. You may want to read https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/q...-documentation.

This is quite true. Their ship, their rules. I would not take the chance, I would renew and get a ten year passport. It did annoy me when I renewed mine that the new Canadian passport runs out ten years from the date of issue. Our UK passports last ten years from the expiry of the old ones, so effectively ten years and six months.

Ditto the above about it not mattering which countries. Just faced that with Diamond Princess in August when our 10 year old's passport was 12 days shy of the 6 months post-disembarkation rule (cruise originating outside the US). We booked it within ten days of flying out and had checked the countries.... paid for cruise.... then immediately did online checkin. Called Princess when it wouldn't accept her passport and learned then, so did in-person expediting for a renewal. We were trying to time it with her birthday so only one more renewal before adult passport at 16 but that messed this up now with the 6 months rule lol (kids are every 5 years until 16 but Global Entry card rules just like for adults)

However in June on Holland America hubby was 2 months shy for a Vancouver to Seward northbound cruise and HAL was fine with that. I called in advance since we knew we would clear customs before boarding ship at Canada Place and rest of ports were US (and Canada validity required only for time of travel). HAL said no problem and online checkin accepted it as well no problem (he had 4 months post-cruise validity)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I went on a cruise with a Canadian friend last year who had only 30 days left on his passport. Not a word was said about it. Was a closed looped Caribbean cruise on RCCL that did not involve Cuba.