Tips for a foodie?

DIVERSA

Going on my first celebrity cruise this December, 7 day on the Equinox. As someone who's always loved rotating between the gym and the lido buffet, this seems like a few large steps up from the typical Carnival cruise.

Are sea day brunches still a thing? I haven't been able to find any information regarding them.

I read on the celebrity website that concierge class gets "afternoon savories", what should I expect?

What food is worth paying for?

Any tips/good food recommendations are appreciated.

Going on my first celebrity cruise this December, 7 day on the Equinox. As someone who's always loved rotating between the gym and the lido buffet, this seems like a few large steps up from the typical Carnival cruise.

Are sea day brunches still a thing? I haven't been able to find any information regarding them.

I read on the celebrity website that concierge class gets "afternoon savories", what should I expect?

What food is worth paying for?

Any tips/good food recommendations are appreciated.

Brunch seems long gone.

There were a few option with the concierge nibblies, to be honest I can’t remember them all, but we placed a standing order for the cheese and fruit plate and asked fo4 it to go in the fridge if we weren’t there.

The nibbles aren't much good (even in suites) but you can ask for alternatives like cheese or fruit.

In our opinion the best of the 'pay for' restaurants is Murano's. We find the food and service equal to a quality shoreside restaurant. They do some table side preparation which adds to the theatre. They offer a five course food and wine pairing option too.

They also offer a chefs table event on some cruises (usually about 10/12 guests). This is a taster menu with wine pairing. It is several years since we did this now, perhaps someone who has done it recently could comment on price and venue.

There is also a food shopping experience offered in some ports where you are accompanied by a chef and served a special lunch later. Not done this but if you are interested you could ask further questions about this excursion.

In terms of food things not to miss with no additional cost ...

We do enjoy the buffets on S class. They are easy to navigate and if you can't find something to enjoy you must be hard to please! We will often at lunch get an eclectic mix and take it out of the back of the restaurant into the fresh air to enjoy. The Indian selection we find very good.

The pastries in cafe el bachio are really good (you do not have to order a coffee).

Cruise before last we used room service a few days and found the speed and quality of food much better than expected. You can also have MDR food delivered to your room during opening hours...

Our favourite foodie tip is to research our ports (especially when cruising in the Med). Using trip advisor and port guides we will often find a quiet little local bar just off the main tourist area offering tapas or local fresh caught fish, maybe a jug of Sangria.....foodie cruising is not just about the food on board.

Hope you have a great cruise. We have cruised Equinox twice and really enjoyed!

Some comments from another foodie....

as pointed out, ask for the cheese and crackers as your afternoon canapes....the standard canapes are (choose your word).

Agree murano's is the best specialty restaurant....silk harvest, IMHO, is the worst (if it's on your ship). I disagree with the other poster on Tuscan grill steaks...you can get better steaks at home from Costco. We enjoy Qsine for it's presentation of food...worth trying.

You will find that almost all soups served are essentially broths with a little something added....don't expect clam chowder filled with clams or even a vegetable soup filled with vegetables.

Onion soup is widely praised...try it...you'll likely find it salty and the amount of onions varies from nothing to a bowl of soup with no broth (yes, I've actually been served both)...but I actually like it (note: I like salt so I'm prejudiced).

Lamb dishes are almost always good. Fish is variable...depends on who's cooking, I guess because sometimes it's great and other times its dry. Breadsticks are wonderful! Again, as a salt lover, you can always get a caesar salad WITH anchovies :)

At the buffet, try the "ethnic" dishes...they are usually quite good. Pasta bar is also a good bet. For breakfast, find the poached egg area in the buffet and order what you want....or find the made to order omelettes area where you can also order a fried egg, etc. Don't miss the smoked salmon but unfortunately the bagels aren't great (essentially rolls with holes in the middle).

Best hamburgers are at the mast grill....make sure you ask for one directly off the grill...not one that's been sitting half (or fully) cooked in a vat that they reheat.

Best desserts are at Cafe Baccio and they are no cost. Cafe Baccio does charge for coffee, but you can just go up to the counter and ask for one of the desserts.

There are many threads on recommended dishes, etc. Search for onion soup or escargot and you'll easily find more information and opinions than you want.

You won't leave your cruise hungry :)

Can't believe no one mentioned the Aquaspa Cafe. In the solarium and only open for breakfast and lunch. Just grab some pre-made plates of healthy but tasty foods. Most don't realize that you can also ask for soups or special plates like chicken or salmon that aren't pre-made. Takes 5 or 10 minutes to come out. I love the mushroom soup. Nice to grab a few plates to enjoy while sitting at the solarium pool. And they make healthy smoothies too.

Also finger sandwiches and other "afternoon tea" goodies at the buffet at 3pm.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Edited by Paulras

Can't believe no one mentioned the Aquaspa Cafe. In the solarium and only open for breakfast and lunch. Just grab some pre-made plates of healthy but tasty foods. Most don't realize that you can also ask for soups or special plates like chicken or salmon that aren't pre-made. Takes 5 or 10 minutes to come out. I love the mushroom soup. Nice to grab a few plates to enjoy while sitting at the solarium pool. And they make healthy smoothies too.

Also finger sandwiches and other "afternoon tea" goodies at the buffet at 3pm.

I think you're thinking about the "old" aqua spa cafe. Today, those small plates are gone....replaced by essentially a salad bar and there are a couple of hot choices each day but I think they've eliminated the soup as well. It used to be one of our favorite "secret" places, but we rarely go there anymore.

I think you're thinking about the "old" aqua spa cafe. Today, those small plates are gone....replaced by essentially a salad bar and there are a couple of hot choices each day but I think they've eliminated the soup as well. It used to be one of our favorite "secret" places, but we rarely go there anymore.
When did that change?

Some comments from another foodie....

as pointed out, ask for the cheese and crackers as your afternoon canapes....the standard canapes are (choose your word).

Agree murano's is the best specialty restaurant....silk harvest, IMHO, is the worst (if it's on your ship). I disagree with the other poster on Tuscan grill steaks...you can get better steaks at home from Costco. We enjoy Qsine for it's presentation of food...worth trying.

You will find that almost all soups served are essentially broths with a little something added....don't expect clam chowder filled with clams or even a vegetable soup filled with vegetables.

Onion soup is widely praised...try it...you'll likely find it salty and the amount of onions varies from nothing to a bowl of soup with no broth (yes, I've actually been served both)...but I actually like it (note: I like salt so I'm prejudiced).

Lamb dishes are almost always good. Fish is variable...depends on who's cooking, I guess because sometimes it's great and other times its dry. Breadsticks are wonderful! Again, as a salt lover, you can always get a caesar salad WITH anchovies :)

At the buffet, try the "ethnic" dishes...they are usually quite good. Pasta bar is also a good bet. For breakfast, find the poached egg area in the buffet and order what you want....or find the made to order omelettes area where you can also order a fried egg, etc. Don't miss the smoked salmon but unfortunately the bagels aren't great (essentially rolls with holes in the middle).

Best hamburgers are at the mast grill....make sure you ask for one directly off the grill...not one that's been sitting half (or fully) cooked in a vat that they reheat.

Best desserts are at Cafe Baccio and they are no cost. Cafe Baccio does charge for coffee, but you can just go up to the counter and ask for one of the desserts.

There are many threads on recommended dishes, etc. Search for onion soup or escargot and you'll easily find more information and opinions than you want.

You won't leave your cruise hungry :)

Thank you and everyone else so much for all the information!!!

The cakes at cafe baccio look amazing!!! Is this place the same on all cruises & can I expect different desserts at different times?

And the onion soup is served at the normal dine in dinner, correct? I'll definitely be giving it a try!

Wife and I ate in Murano's last week, we had a couple of foodie items. If you like it for an appetizer I had a goat cheese soufflé. We had Chateaubriand for Two, really good. Two excellent deserts are Dark Chocolate soufflé and the Grand Marnier Soufflé.

Also, Aqua spa cafe has pretty good real Oatmeal in the morning, has fruit in it.

Although the chateaubriand is listed for two, they may, on request, make it for one if you ask nicely :). I should also suggest that you request steak Diane which is no longer on the menu but the maitre d’ may agree to make it for you...but you must, repeat must, ask the day before.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you and everyone else so much for all the information!!!

The cakes at cafe baccio look amazing!!! Is this place the same on all cruises & can I expect different desserts at different times?

The cakes look much better than they taste. Mediocre at best and I am being polite.

The berliners and the gooey cinnamon buns are real probably my favorites there. What you see there is often available at the buffet during various times. The selections do change during the cruise at the Cafe.

Beg to differ. As the OP will be on the Equinox which I have sailed on numerous times including three times this year, you most certainly will not be appalled. Good grief. I realize food is subjective but if you are going to make that assertion you need to give some empirical information.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tough meat, my favorite escargot devoid of flavor, soggy potatoes. It’s my opinion. Luminae is quite good. Everything else is sub par. The buffet is a zoo

Even I do not agree with Briton....in fact I think the exclusivity factor of luminae may be a bit of a halo around their food.

Anyone can eat a served breakfast or lunch in the MDR if the buffet doesn’t suit. I can’t speak to the escargot but most are prepared identically with garlic and more garlic....not something my foodie craves. Best French fries are those that come directly from the fryer at the mast grill. I would say overall, the food is pretty good...but you aren’t on Oceania, crystal, regent, etc. compared to its rivals..princess, Hal, rcl....celebrity food shines. You have to compare apples to apples.

Tough meat, my favorite escargot devoid of flavor, soggy potatoes. It’s my opinion. Luminae is quite good. Everything else is sub par. The buffet is a zoo

On the Reflection this summer, I found the cuts of steak served in MDR exceptionally tender and tasty.

I do realize food is subjective, but I certainly don't believe the food on X is sub par.

Even I do not agree with Briton....in fact I think the exclusivity factor of luminae may be a bit of a halo around their food.

Anyone can eat a served breakfast or lunch in the MDR if the buffet doesn’t suit. I can’t speak to the escargot but most are prepared identically with garlic and more garlic....not something my foodie craves. Best French fries are those that come directly from the fryer at the mast grill. I would say overall, the food is pretty good...but you aren’t on Oceania, crystal, regent, etc. compared to its rivals..princess, Hal, rcl....celebrity food shines. You have to compare apples to apples.

Although we primarily sail oceania or luxury lines we are elite on celebrity so we know what to expect and we do not expect the same quality as oceAnia

The food imo is not good. It has decreased in quality substantially. I don’t think there is any halo around luminae. It is really good. We are with two other couples who primarily sail regent and oceania. It is their first time in luminae and they give it high marks

No one wins this argument. Everyone has an opinion. Judge for yourself.

This is probably our last celebrity cruise. There are many aspects that don’t meet our (lowered) expectations for celebrity

Although we primarily sail oceania or luxury lines we are elite on celebrity so we know what to expect and we do not expect the same quality as oceAnia

The food imo is not good. It has decreased in quality substantially. I don’t think there is any halo around luminae. It is really good. We are with two other couples who primarily sail regent and oceania. It is their first time in luminae and they give it high marks

No one wins this argument. Everyone has an opinion. Judge for yourself.

This is probably our last celebrity cruise. There are many aspects that don’t meet our (lowered) expectations for celebrity

For some perspective, I've only been on 4 carnival cruises in the past. As long as its better than carnival, I will be greatly satisfied

Normally I don't mention that we are Elite Plus, but since bitob brought it up I will. Sailed on, in order, Infinity, Mercury, Century, Millennium and the all the Solstice Class ships. Again, food is subjective but I want to assure the OP they will not be "appalled."

Normally I don't mention that we are Elite Plus, but since bitob brought it up I will. Sailed on, in order, Infinity, Mercury, Century, Millennium and the all the Solstice Class ships. Again, food is subjective but I want to assure the OP they will not be "appalled."

hh - Thank You for this perspective. Unfortunately, many of the 'foodies' who provide poor marks on X's food and evolution of same, continue to either sail or if not, continue to post on the topic here, of which they all have the right to do so.

They do forget that food is very subjective and X is catering, as best it can, to the whole realm of desires, restrictions, allergies and diets.... plus.

Are they always 100% on with taste, presentation, or preparation? Of course not, neither are many of the land based restaurants I frequent are either, but that does not make them bad places to visit or patronize, IMO.

Some posters allude to lines which cater to upwards of 1,200 passengers, while X is catering to upwards of 3,000. Guess which one has the greater opportunity to hit it right all of the time for a particular passenger demographic foodie?? I do not hate them for it either...

d, the OP, the only other 'marginal' topic of divisiveness on the board is X's website, IMO.

I Am sure we all can find something which another line does 'better', yet overall, I personally believe that we receive great value, great food and great service on X.

No drama posts to complain, no drama posts to say we will never sail X again, no drama posts after leaving to prove some long past disappointment(s). Post once with constructive criticism and be satisfied or not.

Thanks again hh - much appreciated.

bon voyage