Celebrity management ignores Puerto Rico warnings....just of bunch of CLOWNS!

CruiseZZ1956

I am also unclear on this. Zika is a now a well known risk, also being present in Aruba, when sailing in the Caribbean ... with or without hurricane damage. Thus, at the time of booking, I would imagine people would have not only recognized those risks but taken precautions to prevent the infection (eg: bug spray and proper clothing).

To switch embarkation ports, when others have all planned their flights to PR, would create a logistical nightmare for a large percentage of the passengers. I don't know for sure, but don't think Aruba is even set up for embarkation / debarkation procedures.

Short of allowing passengers to cancel without charge, which isn't a good business practice to engage in, not sure what else they really could do to make the OP feel safe.

What this is about is that OP doesn’t want to go, doesn’t have cancel for any reason insurance or any insurance for that matter and doesn’t want to take the loss. They want Celebrity to take the loss.

I feel for OP as I have a Royal Caribbean cruise booked the same week out of San Juan and I have conflicted feelings about the cruise, I would rather go out of a different port, they won’t allow changes to another sailing, so I get where they are coming from, but I don’t think Celebrity or Royal Caribbean are compromising my safety. The stress and conflicted feelings I have is not about safety. It is that my flights were canceled and my hotel the day before is uncertain. So I have the logistical nightmare although it might very well work out as there are a number of weeks before the sail date, it is stressful. I think a better business practice would have been to allow changing the sailing.

Edited by Charles4515

Allowing changes to a different sailing would result in empty ships, so they're obviously not going to do that.

Not having insurance as a traveler means that you're self-insuring the trip. If something happens, you're on the hook for the costs. Simple as that. You knew the terms of booking before you made the commitment, including the final payment date and associated penalties. The cruise is still happening. Not really much else to say beyond that.

p - Thank you for your post. I will venture to suggest that since you have been in the insurance business, you know that most insurers have several policies in their portfolio which can be purchased.

The OP suggested that they never purchase insurance, which I accept and proffered up that CFAR was expensive, which I know and never purchase as well.

I would go so far as to state that the cruise line insurance is not expensive compared to CFAR or 3rd party, yet the OP complained (or stated) that the maximum return on the investment was only going to be 75% or their outlay, if they were to cancel and apparently that was not good enough.

The OP never indicated in any way, shape or form that they could not afford the insurance, only that it was expensive, which is very true for most of us. Yet there are insurance policies which will cover most of the issues without going the CFAR route.

The OP additionally continued to rant about how X is placing passengers in danger, which is patently untrue, as it was pointed out to them on several occasions, to no avail. Again, does anyone really, really deep down in their heart of hearts believe that X would put passengers and crew in harms way? I, personally, telieve this is a gross mis-characterization of X and its' policies in this case.

Now, you having been in the insurance industry can appreciate that when individuals or companies choose not to insure against a peril, they essentially choose to self-insure. Self-inusres means 'the individual/company understands that if there are damages or perils, seen or unseen, there is no coverage for same and they will be responsible for taking the loss. Who do they go to, maybe besides Government, to get some type of reimbursement for their loss?

I laud you for trying to come to the OP's defense, it does not mean much to many of us here who have witnessed the rants and over the top accusations, in this forum and at least one other. No sympathy.

The bottom line: the OP wanted out of the contract for any reason (CFAR) without the requisite coverage, X said no as they plan on sailing as scheduled and will do so under the CoC which the OP agreed to upon making final payment. Rather the CoC is fair or not, is a different issue altogether and not under discussion at this time.

bon voyage

Thank you so much, Bo, for so clearly and politely putting this into perspective.

I think most posters have sympathy for the uncertainty of cruising from San Juan. I know I would be upset if I couldn't be sure of flights and hotel accommodations. But I also think things will be better in time for the OP's cruise.

Do I think San Juan unsafe? No. Uncomfortable, probably, life threatening, no. Zika? What part of of the Caribbean doesn't have cases?

I hope the OP finds a solution that works, either taking the cruise or cancelling. But I think you hit the nail on the head here.

Allowing changes to a different sailing would result in empty ships, so they're obviously not going to do that.

Not having insurance as a traveler means that you're self-insuring the trip. If something happens, you're on the hook for the costs. Simple as that. You knew the terms of booking before you made the commitment, including the final payment date and associated penalties. The cruise is still happening. Not really much else to say beyond that.

I understand that cruise lines are not consumer friendly, but a good business does not want a bad reputation and ill will. What has occured is not a normal situation.

Personally I have insurance and if I can not get flights I will collect on it but if that happens they won’t know about it until the very last minute so they won’t be able to rebook the cabin.

Edited by Charles4515

Is this the Bunch you are thinking about. ?????

BunchOfClowns.jpg

Hey looks great. Corporate smiling clowns not aware of what is going in in PR and the stress they are giving us common folk...Oh and they are smiling cause they are counting their $$$$ while they ignore us at the same time too! Thanks!

Thank you so much, Bo, for so clearly and politely putting this into perspective.

I think most posters have sympathy for the uncertainty of cruising from San Juan. I know I would be upset if I couldn't be sure of flights and hotel accommodations. But I also think things will be better in time for the OP's cruise.

Do I think San Juan unsafe? No. Uncomfortable, probably, life threatening, no. Zika? What part of of the Caribbean doesn't have cases?

I hope the OP finds a solution that works, either taking the cruise or cancelling. But I think you hit the nail on the head here.

Still active as of Oct 12th..while some here don't think is unsafe that's your decision and good luck with that... however the country of Canada has a different opinion. And ALL TRAVEL includes ALL TRAVEL. Just sayn

Risk level(s)

Puerto Rico - AVOID ALL TRAVEL

Global Affairs Canada advises against all travel to Puerto Rico due to damage caused by Hurricanes Irma and Maria. See Natural disasters and climate and Hurricanes Irma and Maria for more information.

Travel Health Notice - Zika virus

The Public Health Agency of Canada has issued advice for travellers on the Zika virus, recommending that Canadians practice special health precautions while travelling in affected countries. Pregnant women and those considering becoming pregnant should avoid travel to Puerto Rico. See Health for more information.

Safety and security

Safety and security

Canadians rarely encounter safety and security problems, but normal safety precautions should be taken due to an increase in violent crime. Petty crime and robberies are prevalent. Ensure that your personal belongings are secure at all times.

Air travel

The Government of Canada does not assess foreign domestic airlines’ compliance with international aviation safety standards. See Foreign domestic airlines for more information.

Entry/exit requirements

Entry/exit requirements

It is the sole prerogative of every country or territory to determine who is allowed to enter or exit. Canadian consular officials cannot intervene on your behalf if you do not meet entry or exit requirements. The following information has been obtained from the authorities of the United States (U.S.) and is subject to change at any time. The country- or territory-specific entry/exit requirements are provided on this page for information purposes only. While every effort is made to provide accurate information, information contained here is provided on an "as is" basis without warranty of any kind, express or implied. The Government of Canada assumes no responsibility, and shall not be liable for any damages in connection to the information provided. It is your responsibility to check with the Embassy of the United States of America or one of its consulates for up-to-date information.

Official (special and diplomatic) passport holders must consult the Official Travel page, as they may be subject to different entry requirements.

Passport

Canadians travelling to a U.S. overseas territory must present a passport, which must be valid until the date of expected departure from the territory, even if travelling from the continental United States. Before you leave, ask your transportation company about its requirements related to passport validity, which may be more stringent than the country's entry rules.

Temporary passport holders may be subject to different entry requirements. Check with diplomatic representatives for up-to-date information.

Visas

Canadian citizens generally do not require a visa to enter a U.S. overseas territory for the purposes of visiting or studying.

Consult the Travel Advice and Advisories for the United States for information on the Executive Order Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States.

Providing additional information at borders

Travellers entering the U.S. by air or by sea are required to provide additional information, such as their address while in the U.S., including U.S. territories. They may also be asked for evidence of residential, employment or educational ties to Canada, proof that the trip is for a legitimate purpose and is of a reasonable length, and proof of financial support while in the country.

More information on border security programs currently in force in the U.S. is available from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Dual citizenship

Some Canadians may have U.S. as well as Canadian citizenship through birth in the U.S. or through naturalization or descent. Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport to enter or re-enter the U.S. by air. Although U.S. authorities do not formally require dual nationals to carry both a U.S. and a Canadian passport, carrying both documents as proof of citizenship may facilitate both entry into the U.S. and returning to Canada. Consult Laws and Culture for more information.

Canadian retirees/snowbirds

Canadian retirees seeking to winter in warmer climates will likely receive a maximum admission period of six months. Those who wish to stay longer may apply for an extension with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services before their authorized stay expires.

Criminal record

If you have a criminal record, no matter the severity or the date of the offence, you may be refused entry to the U.S. You may also experience problems when travelling through U.S. airport facilities. A pardon for an offence issued by Canadian authorities is not recognized under U.S. law for the purpose of entry into the U.S. If you have a criminal record, you should contact one of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services ports of entry by telephone or contact the Embassy of the United States of America or one of its consulates well in advance of your departure from Canada. If you are ineligible to enter the U.S., you may apply for a waiver of ineligibility. This will involve completing Form I-192, "Advance Permission to Enter the U.S. as a Non-Immigrant." There is a fee and it may take several months to process your application. Waiver application forms are available from any port of entry to the U.S., any preclearance site in Canada, and the Embassy of the United States of America or one of its consulates in Canada. A list of designated ports of entry that accept filings of waiver applications as well as the application form are available from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

U.S. ports of entry are computerized and connected to a centralized database. Information is readily available on criminal convictions in both Canada and the U.S. Even though you may have entered the U.S. without hindrance in the past, you could run into difficulty if your record shows a criminal conviction or a previous denial of entry. Attempting to gain entry without a waiver could result in several weeks of detention and a permanent bar from entering the U.S.

If you are an American citizen that left the U.S. to avoid military service and have not since regularized your status, there might be an outstanding warrant for your arrest or you might be ineligible for U.S. entry. If in doubt, check with the nearest U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services port of entry. If you need information about regularizing your status with the U.S. military, contact the Embassy of the United States of America.

Children and travel

Children need special documentation to visit certain countries. See Children for more information.

Special cases

If you have an unusual situation concerning entry into the U.S., you should obtain authoritative information from the U.S. authorities immediately before your visit. For more information, consult the Embassy of the United States of America or U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

For more detailed information on entry requirements for the U.S., consult our Travel Advice and Advisories page for the United States.

Yellow fever

See Health to obtain information on this country’s vaccination requirements.

Health

Health

Related Travel Health Notices

Consult a health care provider or visit a travel health clinic preferably six weeks before you travel.

VaccinesRoutine Vaccines

Be sure that your routine vaccines, as per your province or territory, are up-to-date regardless of your travel destination.

Some of these vaccines include: measles-mumps-rubella (MMR), diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, varicella (chickenpox), influenza and others.

Vaccines to Consider

You may be at risk for these vaccine-preventable diseases while travelling in this country. Talk to your travel health provider about which ones are right for you.

Hepatitis A Hepatitis A is a disease of the liver spread through contaminated food and water or contact with an infected person. All those travelling to regions with a risk of hepatitis A infection should get vaccinated.

Hepatitis B Hepatitis B is a disease of the liver spread through blood or other bodily fluids. Travellers who may be exposed (e.g., through sexual contact, medical treatment, sharing needles, tattooing, acupuncture or occupational exposure) should get vaccinated.

Influenza Seasonal influenza occurs worldwide. The flu season usually runs from November to April in the northern hemisphere, between April and October in the southern hemisphere and year round in the tropics. Influenza (flu) is caused by a virus spread from person to person when they cough or sneeze or by touching objects and surfaces that have been contaminated with the virus. Get the flu shot.

Measles Measles is a highly contagious viral disease and is common in most parts of the world. Be sure your measles vaccination is up-to-date regardless of your travel destination.

Yellow Fever - Country Entry Requirements Yellow fever is a disease caused by a flavivirus from the bite of an infected mosquito.

Travellers get vaccinated either because it is required to enter a country or because it is recommended for their protection.

Risk

• There is no risk of yellow fever in this country.

Country Entry Requirement*

• Proof of vaccination is not required to enter this country.

Recommendation

• Vaccination is not recommended.

* It is important to note that country entry requirements may not reflect your risk of yellow fever at your destination. It is recommended that you contact the nearest diplomatic or consular office of the destination(s) you will be visiting to verify any additional entry requirements.

About Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever Vaccination Centres in Canada

Food/WaterFood and Water-borne Diseases

Travellers to any destination in the world can develop travellers' diarrhea from consuming contaminated water or food.

In some areas in the Caribbean, food and water can also carry diseases like cholera, hepatitis A, schistosomiasis and typhoid. Practise safe food and water precautions while travelling in the Caribbean. Remember: Boil it, cook it, peel it, or leave it!

Typhoid Typhoid is a bacterial infection spread by contaminated food or water. Risk is higher for children, travellers going to rural areas, visiting friends and relatives or travelling for a long period of time. Travellers visiting regions with typhoid risk, especially those exposed to places with poor sanitation should speak to a health care provider about vaccination.

InsectsInsects and Illness

In some areas in the Caribbean, certain insects carry and spread diseases like chikungunya, dengue fever, malaria, West Nile virus and Zika virus.

Travellers are advised to take precautions against bites.

Chikungunya There is currently an outbreak of chikungunya in this country. Chikungunya is a viral disease spread through the bite of an infected mosquito that typically causes fever and pain in the joints. Protect yourself from mosquito bites, particularly around sunrise and sunset. There is no vaccine available for chikungunya.

Dengue fever

• Dengue fever occurs in this country. Dengue fever is a viral disease that can cause severe flu-like symptoms. In some cases it leads to dengue haemorrhagic fever, which can be fatal.
  • The risk of dengue is higher during the daytime, particularly at sunrise and sunset.
  • Protect yourself from mosquito bites. There is no vaccine or medication that protects against dengue fever.

Zika virus infection Zika virus infection is a risk in this country. Recent or ongoing cases of Zika virus have been reported in this country.

Travel recommendations:

All travellers should protect themselves from mosquito bites day and night.

Zika virus infection during pregnancy can cause serious birth defects such as abnormally small heads (microcephaly). Zika virus can also be sexually transmitted.

Travellers who are pregnant or planning a pregnancy:

• Should avoid travel to this country
  • If travel cannot be avoided follow strict mosquito bite prevention measures.
  • Talk to your health care professional about the risk of Zika infection in pregnancy.
  • Use condoms or avoid having sex for the duration of the pregnancy, if you are pregnant and your partner has travelled to this country.
  • Female travellers: wait at least 2 months after returning from this country before trying to conceive (get pregnant) to ensure that any possible Zika virus infection has cleared your body.
  • Male travellers: wait 6 months after returning from this country before trying to conceive. Use condoms or avoid having sex during that time.

See travel health notice: Zika virus: Advice for travellers

MalariaMalaria

There is no risk of malaria in this country.

AnimalsAnimals and Illness

Travellers are cautioned to avoid contact with animals, including dogs, monkeys, snakes, rodents, birds, and bats. Some infections found in some areas in the Caribbean, like rabies, can be shared between humans and animals.

Person-to-PersonPerson-to-Person Infections

Crowded conditions can increase your risk of certain illnesses. Remember to wash your hands often and practice proper cough and sneeze etiquette to avoid colds, the flu and other illnesses.

Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and HIV are spread through blood and bodily fluids; practise safer sex.

Medical services and facilities

Keep in Mind...

The decision to travel is the sole responsibility of the traveller. The traveller is also responsible for his or her own personal safety.

Be prepared. Do not expect medical services to be the same as in Canada. Pack a travel health kit, especially if you will be travelling away from major city centres.

Laws and culture

Laws & culture

You are subject to local laws. See Arrest and detention for more information.

Dual citizenship

Dual citizenship is legally recognized in the U.S. However, Canadian officials may be limited in their ability to provide you with consular services if local authorities consider you only as an American citizen. Although U.S. authorities do not formally require dual nationals to carry both a U.S. and a Canadian passport, you should carry both documents as proof of citizenship and present yourself as Canadian to foreign authorities to minimize this risk. Citizenship is determined solely by national laws, and the decision to recognize dual citizenship rests completely with the country in which you are located when seeking consular assistance. See Travelling as a dual citizen for more information.

Natural disasters and climate

Natural disasters & climate

Hurricane season

The hurricane season extends from June to the end of November. The National Hurricane Center provides additional information on weather conditions. Stay informed of regional weather forecasts, and follow the advice and instructions of local authorities.

Hurricanes Maria and Irma

Hurricanes Irma and Maria swept Puerto Rico as major hurricanes on September 6 and 20, 2017 respectively, causing significant damage to the island. Transportation routes and telecommunications services are affected in most areas, and the island’s power system has been destroyed. Other services that are affected include emergency and medical care, as well as water and food supplies. Do not travel to or throughout the island. Follow the instructions of local authorities and respect curfews.

See Assistance if you require emergency consular services.

Assistance

Assistance

Local services

Emergency servicesDial 911 for emergency assistance.

Consular assistance

San Juan - Consulate of CanadaStreet AddressHato Rey Center, 268 Ponce de Leon, Suite 1111, San Juan (Hato Rey), Puerto Rico, U.S.A., 00918Telephone(787) 759-6629Fax(787) 294-1205FacebookConsulate General of Canada in MiamiTwitter@CanCGMiami

Miami - Consulate General of CanadaStreet Address200 South Biscayne Boulevard, Suite 1600, Miami, Florida, U.S.A., 33131Telephone1-844-880-6519Fax(305) 374-6774Emailccs.scc@international.gc.caInternethttps://www.canada.ca/Canada-In-MiamiFacebookConsulate General of Canada in MiamiTwitter@CanCGMiamiConsular districtFlorida, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands

For emergency consular assistance, call the Consulate General of Canada in Miami and follow the instructions. At any time, you may also contact the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa.

You may call the Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa toll-free at +1 888 949 9993.

Risk Levels

Exercise normal security precautions There are no significant safety and security concerns. The overall safety and security situation is similar to that of Canada. You should take normal security precautions.

Exercise a high degree of caution There are identifiable safety and security concerns or the safety and security situation could change with little notice. You should exercise a high degree of caution at all times, monitor local media and follow the instructions of local authorities.

IMPORTANT: The two levels below are official Government of Canada Travel Advisories and are issued when the safety and security of Canadians travelling or living in the country may be compromised.

Avoid non-essential travel There are specific safety and security concerns that could put you at risk. You should reconsider your need to travel to the country, territory or region. If you are already in the country, territory or region, you should reconsider whether or not you really need to be there. If not, you should consider leaving while it is still safe to do so. It is up to you to decide what “non-essential travel” means, based on family or business requirements, knowledge of or familiarity with a country, territory or region, and other factors.

Avoid all travel There is an extreme risk to your personal safety and security. You should not travel to this country, territory or region. If you are already in the country, territory or region, you should consider leaving if it is safe to do so.

The decision to travel is your choice and you are responsible for your personal safety abroad. The Government of Canada takes the safety and security of Canadians abroad very seriously and provides credible and timely information in its Travel Advice to enable you to make well-informed decisions regarding your travel abroad. In the event of a large-scale emergency, every effort will be made to provide assistance. However, there may be constraints that will limit the ability of the Government of Canada to provide services.

If you are so concerned, cancel the cruise already!!!! Enough!!! You know that if you go, you will be miserable!

, and probably spread your venom to as many passengers as possible, thus ruining their cruise too.

How long can this rant go on???

Posted TODAY by United Airlines:

Travel to and from Puerto Rico affected by the aftermath of Hurricane Maria

Travel to and from Puerto Rico continues to be affected by the aftermath of Hurricane Maria. While United is now operating flights to and from San Juan, we recommend postponing your travel until conditions improve. The island is still experiencing a lack of power, limited transportation options and no hotel room availability. Road conditions near the airport and around the island are also very poor, making it difficult to get around.

Smart and the absolute right move by CARNIVAL Management....$$$$ should not rule..TAKE NOTES CELEBRITY CORPORATE CLOWNS.

Itinerary Updates 10/11/2017 – 7:00PM (EDT)

Carnival Fascination – Southern Caribbean Cruises

Earlier this week, we communicated that we were ready to resume our operation from San Juan on Carnival Fascination, with our first cruise departing this Sunday. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has since asked us to support the relief and rebuilding efforts and Carnival Fascination has been chartered to provide housing for relief workers in the U.S. Virgin Islands. This means the ship’s departures from October 15, 2017 through January 28, 2018 will be cancelled. Carnival Fascination will return to year-round service from San Juan beginning February 18, 2018.

The best post on this thread!!! My hope is that all will be able to settle back and relax and make their up coming cruises a blessing just to be on. I know this is exactly the attitude hubby and I have. We don't leave out of PR until Jan. 13, 2018 but we usually pick mid Sept. to mid Oct. to cruise knowing the chances as well and have never had a problem in 12 years. Dumb luck was on our side this time when we chose to cruise with friends this year in Jan. Praying that all will be able to choose to make the best time out of the 'not so best' circumstances that has hit the Caribbean this fall.

If you have cancel for any reason insurance, you may be in luck. Call your provider to find out if you will be reimbursed by the insurance provider due to the Canadian government advisory. If not, could you rearrange your flight so that you stay on the mainland the day before and fly into PR the morning of the cruise? There may not even be a penalty because of the unusual circumstances. I understand that shuttles have been arranged by Celebrity to get you from the airport to the cruiseport. My guess is that those other cruise lines were treating PR as a port of call, rather than a home base. You won't be the first ones out of that port, so hopefully Celebrity will have time to work out the bugs.

Now, the Zika virus is not a brand new thing that started during this hurricane season. I believe the Zika advisories started about a year ago and cover all of the Caribbean. I knew about it when I booked my Thanksgiving cruise back in March. My plan is to use mosquito repellent-always a good idea when traveling in a warm, humid climate. I'm past pregnancy planning stage of my life, but if I was trying to get pregnant, I would cancel and take my penalty whatever it might be. It would not be worth the risk. That is a personal choice.

When I booked our cruise during hurricane season, I knew I was taking my chances. Most times, it pays off. This time it didn't. But we are going to make the best of it, even though our perfect itinerary has been changed to one I wouldn't have chosen. Who knows? Those islands that aren't my first choice may offer some unexpected delights. If not, we will be on a lovely cruise ship, with comfortablle accommodations, pools, all inclusive beverage packages, dining available 24/7, shows, some hokey and some pretty good, a casino, live music and we hope we'll have the pleasure of company from our fun loving and always kind neighbors to the north. WE may finally go on the galley tour and catch up on some reading.

I don't blame you for feeling disappointed, most of us are, but we can choose to have fun and relaxation, even though our itineraries are out of our control. Best wishes with your decision.

Avoid all travel There is an extreme risk to your personal safety and security. You should not travel to this country, territory or region. If you are already in the country, territory or region, you should consider leaving if it is safe to do so.

Dude, no one is making you go. No one is holding a gun to your head and making you board that plane. If you feel it's unsafe then cancel. You took a risk not having cancel for any reason now live with it. Man up for heavens sake. You don't go until Thanksgiving, a lot can change.

Edited by Cruise Junky

OP, I'm sorry, but it looks like you have made up your mind. Your reasons matter to you, you have every right to your opinions about the safety of cruising from San Juan. Many might agree, but many of us don't.

Much of what you reference definitely applies outside of San Juan. DH has family on the west side of the island. We know wkat's going on in towns like San German and Mayaguez. Frankly, the pictures don't do the damage justice. It's worse.

San Juan is in much better shape. You may disagree and not want to travel. Fine. Celebrity and other cruise lines are coming back. Do you really think they want the liability of sending thousands of passengers into danger? I had a stop in Istanbul cancelled last year because of the possibility of an incident. Again we can disagree on what constitutes danger. But cruise lines tend to be notoriously conservative.

I really hope things work out for you, I just don't think Celebrity should or will indemnify your position.

Smart and the absolute right move by CARNIVAL Management....$$$$ should not rule..TAKE NOTES CELEBRITY CORPORATE CLOWNS.

Earlier this week, we communicated that we were ready to resume our operation from San Juan on Carnival Fascination, with our first cruise departing this Sunday. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has since asked us to support the relief and rebuilding efforts and Carnival Fascination has been chartered to provide housing for relief workers in the U.S. Virgin Islands. This means the ship’s departures from October 15, 2017 through January 28, 2018 will be cancelled. Carnival Fascination will return to year-round service from San Juan beginning February 18, 2018.

Are you kidding? $$$$ are definately ruling Carnival. They have a FULLY BOOKED ship through the end of January FULLY paid for by the U.S. taxpayer's Government and they don't even have to leave the dock.

Dude< have you even taken a cruise before?

And this from the Celebrity web site.

San Juan

This US territory suffered greatly from hurricanes Irma and Maria. The damage to the entire island was extensive. Recent reports indicate that cruise facilities were not as badly damaged as initially thought, and power has been restored to both cruise terminals.

Island officials have cleared the island to use gangways on the piers for cruise embarkation and debarkation until the covered cruise terminals are fully back in order. The airport is operational, and most airlines have resumed flights to San Juan.

If you have flights reserved, check with your airline to confirm your flights. Assessments of the tourist venues are ongoing.

We plan to sail from Puerto Rico aboard Celebrity Summit® beginning on October 28. We plan to visit San Juan as a port of call on November 21 aboard Celebrity Silhouette®.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Wonder if op would feel differently if he / she had instead booked Fascination and was now stuck with no cruise, non-refundable air and no travel insurance.