Celebrity management ignores Puerto Rico warnings....just of bunch of CLOWNS!

CruiseZZ1956

I as well recently booked B2B Summit sailings in December. I plan to fly in/out day of cruise starting and ending, flying from south Florida makes this very easy especially with the scheduled 8:30pm departures. I don't think the San Juan is necessarily ready for visitors staying for long periods in their hotels but I see no reason to not use the city as a port of embarkation. I sail in approximately 2 months and I'm being optimistic that the island will recover. The prices are outstanding on the December sailings.

Agree with what you're saying. My thoughts are that things will have improved by the time we fly in. I also agree with the poster above that the last thing the locals want is tourists staying away from the Caribbean island affected by the recent hurricanes. The situation might not be ideal, but all holidays are what you make of them and even with the recent problems these sailings still have the potential to be a lot of fun. :)

Called the clown$ again today (1.5 hour wait to get thru on 800#...mmm wonder why?) and low and behold got the same offer to rebook onto any celebrity cruise within 6 months with NO PENALTY!...Celebrity clown$ must be waking up and getting the message finally and or getting tired of the social media firestorm. So now that they have shifted gears I will move on from this #$%^ mess and book something that has a chance of going smoothly.

OP was booked on the same cruise as us. Hallelujah. My prayers have been answered. Lord have mercy on the innocent folks on the new cruise. Imagine sharing a dinner table.

Sent from my P027 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Mercruiser

Hallelujah. My prayers have been answered. Lord have mercy on the innocent folks on the new cruise.

Sent from my P027 using Forums mobile app

If the greedy Clown$ would have done 3 weeks ago what they are doing today by offering Summit rebooks with NO PENALTY they would have a boat load of future happy customers instead they set themselves up for being badgered, berated and humbled on social media by spewing the lies to disregard the "fake news" of government warnings, hotel and airline cancelations. Plain and clear they are in damage control mode that could have been avoided by making the right decision in the first place.

Nice job and congrats on getting the clown$ to rebook you with no penalty. I asked for this option 3 weeks ago and they would not do without penalty. Called the clown$ again today (1.5 hour wait to get thru on 800#...mmm wonder why?) and low and behold got the same offer to rebook onto any celebrity cruise within 6 months with NO PENALTY!...Celebrity clown$ must be waking up and getting the message finally and or getting tired of the social media firestorm. So now that they have shifted gears I will move on from this #$%^ mess and book something that has a chance of going smoothly.

This shift in being willing to allow canceling on the summit with NO PENALTY this late in the game tells me they are seriously thinking about canceling these sailings out of PR anyway and are looking to save what few customers they have left! Good luck and Bon Voyage in PR to all of the Celebrity kool aid drinkers!

Oh My Gosh. Boy are we lucky that you have canceled your reservation because all of us would like to ban you from our cruise! Dude, your glass isn't just half empty......can you be anymore negative and caustic? I respect everyone's opinion and we are 61, 71 and 88. We are not moving to PR, we are just sailing out of there. And yes we have had to make changes to things as well as flights. Hope you are able to develop perspective on what really matters in life. I also hope that when you go to these islands eventually, you can ignore the imperfections left from Mother Nature. All of us including our home lands have flaws, but I remain open to new adventures and accepting less than perfection. And I look forward to carrying my PR taxi driver $100 worth of D batteries and bug repellent wipes that he can share with his friends on 11/11/17.

Very well said. I'm not engaging with this poster, cause it seems that is what he wants.

Oh My Gosh. Boy are we lucky that you have canceled your reservation because all of us would like to ban you from our cruise! Dude, your glass isn't just half empty......can you be anymore negative and caustic? I respect everyone's opinion and we are 61, 71 and 88. We are not moving to PR, we are just sailing out of there. And yes we have had to make changes to things as well as flights. Hope you are able to develop perspective on what really matters in life. I also hope that when you go to these islands eventually, you can ignore the imperfections left from Mother Nature. All of us including our home lands have flaws, but I remain open to new adventures and accepting less than perfection. And I look forward to carrying my PR taxi driver $100 worth of D batteries and bug repellent wipes that he can share with his friends on 11/11/17.

Very well said. I'm not engaging with this poster, cause it seems that is what he wants.

In a weird kind of way, posters with this mentality present great opportunities for others.

Similar things happened with Western Mediterranean cruises after trouble in Turkey a couple of years ago. People got scared. Prices plummeted to ridiculous levels due to cancellations, while braver souls picked up some real bargains and despite the odd port change, people had great cruises.

Travel insurance becomes null and void in places where there's a government-issued travel advisory, cautions AMA Travel's Nikola Berube.

"That's one of the stipulations of travel insurance, you can't knowingly travel into an area that is not recommended for travel by the government," she said.

"And so places like St. Maarten and St. Thomas and San Juan — that are still under a government-issued travel advisory — we don't recommend that you go there at this time."

This is from an article I read this weekend. While we don't buy travel insurance from this company, it would be wise to check with your insurance company before you go.

In a weird kind of way, posters with this mentality present great opportunities for others.

Similar things happened with Western Mediterranean cruises after trouble in Turkey a couple of years ago. People got scared. Prices plummeted to ridiculous levels due to cancellations, while braver souls picked up some real bargains and despite the odd port change, people had great cruises.

Very true. We picked up an extra week in the Med. last summer on Azamara at a bargain basement price. We had a great time, as I expect we will in the Caribbean in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone

Travel insurance becomes null and void in places where there's a government-issued travel advisory, cautions AMA Travel's Nikola Berube.

"That's one of the stipulations of travel insurance, you can't knowingly travel into an area that is not recommended for travel by the government," she said.

"And so places like St. Maarten and St. Thomas and San Juan — that are still under a government-issued travel advisory — we don't recommend that you go there at this time."

This is from an article I read this weekend. While we don't buy travel insurance from this company, it would be wise to check with your insurance company before you go.

I believe it depends on if it's an Alert or a Warning - I don't think they automatically void travel insurance as no one would be going to Mexico right now.

I just chatted with the PRTC online chat support, Eduardo said airport is 100% capacity, taxis are working. Currently there is a curfew between 12am-5am. It is fine to walk around now, as the city and expressway are cleared. Morro and San Cristobal forts are closed until further notice. We have 2 full days in old town! :)

I am currently sitting in the Casa Blanca Hotel in Old San Juan, reading this thread on their Wi-Fi. We were in the October 7-14 Adventure of the Seas sailing and it was a fantastic trip! We flew in on Friday with no issues at the airport, departed the ship yesterday at 8am and were at the hotel by taxi before 8:45am. Although many places are closed, we have had a wonderful time walking the city, it is beautiful and the people are friendly and helpful. They are also thrilled that we are here and everyone has thanked us for coming. Restaurants are open, we have eaten well! Choco Bar has an amazing breakfast, Barranchina, delicious Puerto Rican food and tonight pizza! Taking a taxi to the airport in the morning and back to AZ. Things are not perfect, our Yunque and bio baybtoir was cancelled, but it is what it is. An Adventure!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I as well recently booked B2B Summit sailings in December. I plan to fly in/out day of cruise starting and ending, flying from south Florida makes this very easy especially with the scheduled 8:30pm departures. I don't think the San Juan is necessarily ready for visitors staying for long periods in their hotels but I see no reason to not use the city as a port of embarkation. I sail in approximately 2 months and I'm being optimistic that the island will recover. The prices are outstanding on the December sailings.

We are doing the Summit repo from NJ to SJ next week. We decided to return home the day we dock since our hotel has some power isssues but we will return. The airport if functioning 100%, the roads in the area are clear, the port, airport and much of SJ are back on the grid, there is cell service and plenty of taxis. We never thought of cancelling on our own. PR needs more than our thoughts and prayers. It needs our business and support so people can go back to work, earn a living and reclaim their lives. Happy to see that others feel the same.

Called guest relations yesterday and was shocked they have zero answers to questions on conditions in San Juan. So my impression can only be they don't seem to be concerned about what happens to passengers other than at the cruise port and the airport? I'm arriving 10/28 on Summit repo from Cape Liberty and have plans to stay 3 days.

Called guest relations yesterday and was shocked they have zero answers to questions on conditions in San Juan. So my impression can only be they don't seem to be concerned about what happens to passengers other than at the cruise port and the airport? I'm arriving 10/28 on Summit repo from Cape Liberty and have plans to stay 3 days.

If you read the more recent posts on this thread, you will see that San Juan is getting back to normal with the airport being open and plenty of taxis available. If you are staying at a hotel, you should try to confirm your reservation and make any necessary changes.

Please see #163, she is probably still in San Juan and seems pretty happy about the island

I suggest changing the three days to none. There might not be much to do yet by 10/28.

From the cruise lines point of view their concern would be that you can get from the ship to the airport. From what I read that is safely possible. Cruise lines including Celebrity have canceled San Juan from itineraries as an intermediate port stop. That tells you the condition of San Juan. Not surprised that whoever you called has zero answers on conditions in San Juan. Conditions are poor still but improved every day. I doubt though that they will be up to what you intended when you booked the three days.