Celebrity management ignores Puerto Rico warnings....just of bunch of CLOWNS!

CruiseZZ1956

CruiseZZ1956,

You still ignore all posts stating that Celebrity is not the only cruise line departing from San Juan. RCI´s Adventure of the Seas was the first ship resuming the departures from San Juan last weekend. The Carnival Fascination will follow on Sunday.

Clearly OP has an anti Celebrity Agenda.

Paulras was specifically commenting on cancel for any reason insurance which is more expensive and typically only covers 75% of the cruise fare. The Celebrity policy covers 75% in the form of credit on a future cruise which, at least in the past, had to be used within a year.

The best cancel for any reason is HAL’s cruse protection which covers 95% back on your credit card at 31 days (and 90% back at 30 days up to 24 hours) prior to departure. That can work for some traveling on that line who already have medical they can use out of network.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

j - Okay, I missed that in the posting, my apologies.

Yet, I sometimes wrestle with this when purchasing third (3rd) party insurance. I always, and without ever a question further, do not purchase CFNR as I cannot think fo any reason to purchase it at the time.

I need to make sure that if there were ANY reason before, during and after the cruise if anything happens which prevents me from boarding, missing or be taken home during the sailing due to an emergency.

While I, personally, have not been able to justify CFAR policies, I have friends who do and believe me, I question it, but ultimate it is their travel $ and they feel good about that purchase.

From my perspective, the OP and several others, chose a policy or no policy and want to cancel for no good reason, except that they 'believe' X and other lines should not sail 'from' PR... Not a good reason. You fly in, go to ship, sail, fly out, go home and hopefully enjoyed your sailing.

For those of us who believe that CFAR is too expensive to purchase, when a situation arises like this arises we have to evaluate he loss of $ vs. taking the sailing vs the insurance we have in place, rather that be 3rd party, cruise line, CC etc... There are a few 3rd party policies which come very close to CFAR, believe it or not.

Were the OP and others traveling to PR during a hurricane hit to the island, totally legit concern and reason to contact X about cancelling, in my opine.

For some of us, cruise line insurance is too restrictive or does not offer enough coverage for our taste, yet still something rather than nothing.

I was raised that you always have to look out for yourself...Celebrity cruises is sure not going to do that for you. They are too busy looking at and sitting on their fat wallets...IE always follow the money trail to find out the rest of the story. Since you don't trust the Canadians when you get a chance check the US state department as well Zika warnings PR AVOID!

Risk level(s)

Puerto Rico - AVOID ALL TRAVEL

Global Affairs Canada advises against all travel to Puerto Rico due to damage caused by Hurricanes Irma and Maria. See Natural disasters and climate and Hurricanes Irma and Maria for more information

Were you not taught, in addition, research for yourself? If so, that means you would have taken into consideration that during this time of year is 'hurricane season', this is historical and not a one time event.

You still reference about X and their wallets, you still ignore that X has far more liability in this than a few individuals who do not want to travel due to 'perceived' challenges with a departure port which does not prevent ships from sailing. Either you are going to be on the ship or you are not, by personal choice and for no other reason. Personal for sure and your call.

How did you not think about that? Just a question and not an attack lest you think it be one.

bon voyage

Were you not taught, in addition, research for yourself? If so, that means you would have taken into consideration that during this time of year is 'hurricane season', this is historical and not a one time event.

You still reference about X and their wallets, you still ignore that X has far more liability in this than a few individuals who do not want to travel due to 'perceived' challenges with a departure port which does not prevent ships from sailing. Either you are going to be on the ship or you are not, by personal choice and for no other reason. Personal for sure and your call.

How did you not think about that? Just a question and not an attack lest you think it be one.

bon voyage

Perfectly stated, Bo.

zz1956 seems to be another one of those common “angry“ posters not taking responsibility for his own grown-up decisions [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are traveling on the summit on 10/28/2017. I am traveling with my Father who is 87 and his friend who is also 87 and my sister. Puerto Rico Now is publishing hotels that will open on certain days and when I call these hotels they are not accepting reservations. I have had 6 different reservations and all have cancelled. I can't ask my father to sleep in the airport. American Airlines won't refund our money either and they have no flights the day of. This is ridiculous and greedy of this company to act like everything is great. No electricity, damage, water issues, gas issue and on and on. They are putting their customers in harms way unless they choose to loose thousands of dollars. We will never sail with them again.

Try the Olive Boutique Hotel. According to their Facebook page they are open with power and water but their phones are down so you need to book on line.

I believe that there is an increasing propensity to blame others when our decisons or actions turn out to be not what we expected.

People need to take responsibility for their actions. Sitting on the sidewalk yelling and screaming about how your problem is the fault of everyone else will not resolve the situation.

PR is recovering. The OP is not the only person in this situation. The difference is that others are taking a more informed and measured approach to the challenge and figuring out how to make it work for them. Silent majority are just getting on with it.

bon voyage

Have done research and taken plenty of cruises during hurricane season just about every year and have been involved in several unexpected itinerary changes while on cruises all of which were done by the cruise lines by reason of keeping their passengers safe and ensuring they have a stress free relaxing vacation. All of which I never complained once or even thought of complaining because the cruise lines were absolutely doing the right thing. I have no vendetta against Celebrity it is just they are doing the exact opposite in my opinion by not changing home port or canceling San Juan they are putting their customers into a potentially dangerous and stress filled situation full of uncertainty. Think you have to agree this season was historic and damages to several islands was like nothing seen before in recent times and the Celebrity response if you get any at all has been lacking with untimely misleading and questionable information. The real truth on what is what will become evident in the coming weeks once the Summit gets to PR and starts its sailing schedule. I am sure the OCT/early Nov Summit cruisers will let us know the rest of the story. I hope all goes well and Celebrity has their act together. On the subject of cruise insurance..never buy it never will. 75% return if your lucky to get that is a bad investment in my opinion.My so called rant is not about the $$$ I may lose it is about decisions being made by Celebrity with $$$$ in mind taking priority over people's safety and doing what is right in response to this historic disaster. Have a great evening and hope we all get to ENJOY this cruise!

Have done research and taken plenty of cruises during hurricane season just about every year and have been involved in several unexpected itinerary changes while on cruises all of which were done by the cruise lines by reason of keeping their passengers safe and ensuring they have a stress free relaxing vacation. All of which I never complained once or even thought of complaining because the cruise lines were absolutely doing the right thing. I have no vendetta against Celebrity it is just they are doing the exact opposite in my opinion by not changing home port or canceling San Juan they are putting their customers into a potentially dangerous and stress filled situation full of uncertainty. Think you have to agree this season was historic and damages to several islands was like nothing seen before in recent times and the Celebrity response if you get any at all has been lacking with untimely misleading and questionable information. The real truth on what is what will become evident in the coming weeks once the Summit gets to PR and starts its sailing schedule. I am sure the OCT/early Nov Summit cruisers will let us know the rest of the story. I hope all goes well and Celebrity has their act together. On the subject of cruise insurance..never buy it never will. 75% return if your lucky to get that is a bad investment in my opinion.My so called rant is not about the $$$ I may lose it is about decisions being made by Celebrity with $$$$ in mind taking priority over people's safety and doing what is right in response to this historic disaster. Have a great evening and hope we all get to ENJOY this cruise!

So exactly how should Celebrity have handled this? Details please.

So exactly how should Celebrity have handled this? Details please.

1- Make customers safety their top priority when making decisions.

2- Post updates daily on website (just like RCL is doing) instead of every 3-4 weeks.

3- Move port from SJ to any safe port. Aruba, FLL, Miami to name just a few. Cruise lines brag about working together etc....just did not show it in this instance.

4- Cancel the cruise.

Options 3 and 4 cost $$$$ so doing nothing and ignoring #1 and #2 was the solution.

1- Make customers safety their top priority when making decisions.

2- Post updates daily on website (just like RCL is doing) instead of every 3-4 weeks.

3- Move port from SJ to any safe port. Aruba, FLL, Miami to name just a few. Cruise lines brag about working together etc....just did not show it in this instance.

4- Cancel the cruise.

Options 3 and 4 cost $$$$ so doing nothing and ignoring #1 and #2 was the solution.

Forgot one...allow customers to rebook on a alternative Celebrity cruise within 6 months and really do something for PR and wave the penalty with a 100.00 customer donation to San Juan relief support?

They have had a month to come up with many options...

Forgot one...allow customers to rebook on a alternative Celebrity cruise within 6 months and really do something for PR and wave the penalty with a 100.00 customer donation to San Juan relief support?

They have had a month to come up with many options...

The real option for X, that really matters, is their CoC and how they adhere to it.

Your option is to challenge them in court about a violation of the CoC's, if you believe you have a case or an attorney will take it.

You could be a hero..... :D

bon voyage

Have done research and taken plenty of cruises during hurricane season just about every year and have been involved in several unexpected itinerary changes while on cruises all of which were done by the cruise lines by reason of keeping their passengers safe and ensuring they have a stress free relaxing vacation. -----------------------------

.... and yes, you may have some itinerary changes yet on that sailing. Continue to check X's website to find out if there are any.

X will make any and all changes it deems necessary to keep their passengers and crew safe and sound. Have you or anyone else known them not to? If so, please cite the sailing so we can research further.

If anyone chooses to be stressed while on X, it is by choice and not by chance. X, its' crew and staff will go out of their way to insure everyone is enjoying their sailing and keeping us safe and secure, without fail, in my experience. I Am sure many others believe and understand this as well.

bon voyage

Try the Olive Boutique Hotel. According to their Facebook page they are open with power and water but their phones are down so you need to book on line.

Thank you for the recommendation. I will check it out. It seems that all the hotels on Puerto Rico Now that say they will be open are closed now and not available on 10/27.

So what is unsafe about sailing from SJ? The airport is open. You can fly in. Some hotels in the SJ old town are open. So you can stay a night there if you have to fly in a day early. If you fly in on embarkation day you can directly go to the ship.

I can´t see nothing unsafe... It´s a totally different thing in case you have a regular stop in SJ and want to go on a shore tour. That infrastructure is not yet ready.

steamboats

A week or so ago the following hotel in PR had openings. http://m.verdanzahotel.com/default-en.html

Contact by email only. For those of you who are booked.

Though Day 22 and help slow in arriving. There is hope on the horizon.

Yesterday electrical crews from Jacksonville arrived.

Yes day to day is still rough over there.

I am praying and keeping my fingers crossed that within a month the communications at least via internet may be restored. Gas is now more readily available, food and water however not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OP may have written a bit emotionally in the original post, but after reading most of this thread I think he is getting a lot of insulting responses that I feel are unwarranted.

I am not sure how 'dangerous' it is to travel to PR in a few weeks, but it is definitely difficult to say the least. Anyone who is flying in a day or more before may have much difficulty (not to mention expense) in trying to find a hotel room, restaurant, and transportation. No, this is not the cruise lines fault, but at the same time it is a reality. I am so glad I changed my mind about cruising on Summit this year after Thanksgiving like I have done many times! I suspect most of the flaming posters are not affected by this situation so easily sit on their high horses and place blame (while in the same posts often accusing the OP of placing blame - seems hypocritical to me)

I also don't like the people calling those who do not purchase travel insurance 'cheap'. I never purchase travel insurance (other than for health now that I am on Medicare) as the risk/benefit ratio does not balance well. I have now been on approx. 45 cruises in my lifetime. Even if I had to cancel one cruise, I would have been out thousands of dollars had I been purchasing insurance, particularly one with a cancel for any reason clause. Insurance makes sense for some people. My 30 years of employment in the insurance industry makes me well aware of its value for some. But please spare me your judgment as you do not know everyone's financial situation so you have no way of knowing if making that purchase makes good financial sense for a stranger you have never met.

I also think having a little compassion for people whose very valuable vacations have now been put at risk would not hurt. Are the people on the islands worthy of more of our sympathy? Of course. But this is in fact a big issue many travelers are dealing with, on perhaps a once a year (or less) very important (to them) vacation. A little human kindness would go a long way rather than a thread full of flames. Just sayin'

The OP may have written a bit emotionally in the original post, but after reading most of this thread I think he is getting a lot of insulting responses that I feel are unwarranted.

I am suspect most of the flaming posters are not affected by this situation so easily sit on their high horses and place blame (while in the same posts often accusing the OP of placing blame - seems hypocritical to me)

'

I agree with your point on flaming posters not just here but on the entire CC forum. But I think it’s also hypocritical for a person to start a thread with “inflammatory” click bait accusations against a cruise line designed to post tabloid like remarks. Most Folks here have challenged him on his accusations. He dodges these and continues to focus on how bad Celebrity is. So the flame door swings both ways.

Clearly Celebrity is not alone in its view that San Juan is ready for cruise ops.

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Carnival to resume sailings from San Juan, Puerto Rico on Sunday

https://usat.ly/2kEAELK

I agree with your point on flaming posters not just here but on the entire CC forum. But I think it’s also hypocritical for a person to start a thread with “inflammatory” click bait accusations against a cruise line designed to post tabloid like remarks. Most Folks here have challenged him on his accusations. He dodges these and continues to focus on how bad Celebrity is. So the flame door swings both ways.

Clearly Celebrity is not alone in its view that San Juan is ready for cruise ops.

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Carnival to resume sailings from San Juan, Puerto Rico on Sunday

https://usat.ly/2kEAELK

The Carnival Fascination has cancelled all sailings until late February so FEMA can use the ship for relief worker housing.

=========================

I suspect most of the flaming posters are not affected by this situation so easily sit on their high horses and place blame (while in the same posts often accusing the OP of placing blame - seems hypocritical to me)

I also don't like the people calling those who do not purchase travel insurance 'cheap'. I never purchase travel insurance (other than for health now that I am on Medicare) as the risk/benefit ratio does not balance well. I have now been on approx. 45 cruises in my lifetime. Even if I had to cancel one cruise, I would have been out thousands of dollars had I been purchasing insurance, particularly one with a cancel for any reason clause. Insurance makes sense for some people. My 30 years of employment in the insurance industry makes me well aware of its value for some. But please spare me your judgment as you do not know everyone's financial situation so you have no way of knowing if making that purchase makes good financial sense for a stranger you have never met.

I also think having a little compassion for people whose very valuable vacations have now been put at risk would not hurt. Are the people on the islands worthy of more of our sympathy? Of course. But this is in fact a big issue many travelers are dealing with, on perhaps a once a year (or less) very important (to them) vacation. A little human kindness would go a long way rather than a thread full of flames. Just sayin'

p - Thank you for your post. I will venture to suggest that since you have been in the insurance business, you know that most insurers have several policies in their portfolio which can be purchased.

The OP suggested that they never purchase insurance, which I accept and proffered up that CFAR was expensive, which I know and never purchase as well.

I would go so far as to state that the cruise line insurance is not expensive compared to CFAR or 3rd party, yet the OP complained (or stated) that the maximum return on the investment was only going to be 75% or their outlay, if they were to cancel and apparently that was not good enough.

The OP never indicated in any way, shape or form that they could not afford the insurance, only that it was expensive, which is very true for most of us. Yet there are insurance policies which will cover most of the issues without going the CFAR route.

The OP additionally continued to rant about how X is placing passengers in danger, which is patently untrue, as it was pointed out to them on several occasions, to no avail. Again, does anyone really, really deep down in their heart of hearts believe that X would put passengers and crew in harms way? I, personally, telieve this is a gross mis-characterization of X and its' policies in this case.

Now, you having been in the insurance industry can appreciate that when individuals or companies choose not to insure against a peril, they essentially choose to self-insure. Self-inusres means 'the individual/company understands that if there are damages or perils, seen or unseen, there is no coverage for same and they will be responsible for taking the loss. Who do they go to, maybe besides Government, to get some type of reimbursement for their loss?

I laud you for trying to come to the OP's defense, it does not mean much to many of us here who have witnessed the rants and over the top accusations, in this forum and at least one other. No sympathy.

The bottom line: the OP wanted out of the contract for any reason (CFAR) without the requisite coverage, X said no as they plan on sailing as scheduled and will do so under the CoC which the OP agreed to upon making final payment. Rather the CoC is fair or not, is a different issue altogether and not under discussion at this time.

bon voyage

It is unclear to me exactly how Celebrity is putting people at risk.

You booked a cruise that leaves from SJ in early Dec. Celebrity will be there for you and off you will go on a great cruise. I have no doubt that your airline of choice will get you there.

Exactly how is that putting you at risk or ripping you off? Or is the bottom line really that you would just like to cancel, possibly rebook at a lower price, but cannot because you are inside the final payment window?

Really, I do not understand what the issue is. It is always a treat to deal with the public.

It is unclear to me exactly how Celebrity is putting people at risk.

I am also unclear on this. Zika is a now a well known risk, also being present in Aruba, when sailing in the Caribbean ... with or without hurricane damage. Thus, at the time of booking, I would imagine people would have not only recognized those risks but taken precautions to prevent the infection (eg: bug spray and proper clothing).

To switch embarkation ports, when others have all planned their flights to PR, would create a logistical nightmare for a large percentage of the passengers. I don't know for sure, but don't think Aruba is even set up for embarkation / debarkation procedures.

Short of allowing passengers to cancel without charge, which isn't a good business practice to engage in, not sure what else they really could do to make the OP feel safe.

Would those who are excessively worried being encasied in a copious amount of bubble wrap work?

LOL, how about they just consent to never cruising, no matter how romantic they believe it is!

bon voyage