14 day cruise and only 5 ports now not 8!!!!!!! Not cool

caddykid12

Well that sucks!:mad:

The insurance won't cover changes caused from the damages from the previous storms/hurricanes or those that are already on the way. It only covers if you had the insurance before any of them were even a threat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.... I don't understand the NCL representative telling me there would be no refunds for port charges, when there are fewer ports. It's poo-ey. Yes, it's within the cruise line's rights.....but it leaves me with an icky feeling....!

There is a long standing court ruling that port fees and taxes must be refunded if the port is skipped.

And how do you know there is a “plethora of available ports?” Do you have access to the scheduling nightmare that ALL the cruise lines are dealing with right now?

That’s something many seem to be ignoring. These ARE facts - facts all cruise lines are facing in the wake of these devastating storms. Four ports- at least 3 of them major - have been knocked out for the next month or two, at the very least. Several others were damaged - not as badly, but the storms may have damaged piers and port infrastructure that must still be repaired. Perhaps they could take 2 ships before, and now can only take one.

Most other ports were probably booked to capacity, months ago. Many others probably only have limited capacity - maybe for only one or 2 more ships. This is definitely going to be first come, first served and I suspect the cruise ports will want to cater to their regular visitors first, regardless of which line inquired first.

Take Bermuda, for instance, they can only port 2 ships at a time unless a ship is small like HAL Veendam, or the new Viking ocean ships that can dock in Hamilton. Those 2 piers that can handle larger ships are booked solid for the entire season. So if a line was looking to put a ship in there, forget it.

Another factor the lines have to consider is how far they can travel within the limits of a set number of cruise days. Ships leaving from FL have more ports to pick from than a ship leaving from NY, NJ, Boston or Baltimore simply because of distance. So you get less ports and more sea days. It’s simply logistics.

So that kind of dilutes that “plethora” of yours.

Then say that some ports whose piers are full, allow tendering to those ships with limited slots that are seeking any port in a storm. The line now has to take into consideration how many guests will whine about tendering, and moan that the ports are so crowded. What about excursions? A port that accepts more ships than they can handle is likely not to have any desirable excursions left for the line or even individuals to book.

Can the port handle transporting an additional 3000, 4000, or 5000 people to get them to beaches, shopping areas or activities? Or are you all going to spend your time in that port standing on line (and probably whinging about that too).

The cruise lines are doing their best to give their guests a nice vacation in the face of a daunting task. That’s a fact, and you either have to accept that or cancel and take your lumps - even if you do have insurance. Stuff happens. Happens all the time.

I don’t like it when my plans get messed up,either, but I’m a realist and I understand it happens. I can’t change that stuff happens, I can only control my reaction to it. I look at my options, pick one and move forward making the best of it. Maybe I’ll grumble to let off steam, but in reality I know, no one will care [emoji13]

These ARE the facts and the only disparaging I’ve seen has been directed to those who lack common sense. It’s an asset that is often scarce.

I have no idea where my March cruise is going. It may be as planned or it may not. All I know is that I plan to enjoy every minute!

Plethora is correct and factual. Within easyt sailing of any itinerary that includes Aruba there is Bonnair, Curacao, Grenada, Cartegena, Trinada & Tobaggo, St Lucia, and Martinique. On the way there from NYC there are several stops in the Bahamas, Jamaica, Grand Caymen. True these potential ports may be busier than normal. Possibly piers are full, but tendering is gernerally always possible.

And the argument that a port should be dropped because some may complain about tendering borders on silly. It certainly is reaching for an argument to justify a cruise line that can do no wrong is some eys.

It may surprise some, but many are able to do their own thing in a port of call, easing demand on excursions. The thought that a port should be dropped in favor of a sea day because an island may have difficulty meeting demand is self serving. Ask the locals, I suspect they would rather deal with an abundance of customers than not.

FYI there is no such thing as "common sense". If there were, we would all agree on pretty much everything. Peoples experiences differ and thus the lessons learned are varied. What seems sensible to you may seem ridiculous to others. Disparaging those who disagree with a point of view simply invites a reciprocal response. It contributes nothing positive to a discussion.

I'm on this sailing (January 5th) and booked with a TA and have gotten all other correspondence directly from NCL, such as the email stating that we would know any itinerary changes within 2 weeks. I saw the changed itinerary online, but received nothing.

I emailed NCL because I had not received the updated itinerary. The VP of Passenger Services emailed me back and said they sent it to me and my TA and included the date and email address it was sent to. The issue is that they sent it to a completely wrong email address. It isn't the email address set up with my TA or NCL. I have no idea who they sent this email to, but I was wondering what personal info was sent on this email? Will someone know the dates we will be gone and my name and address? Was any other info on this email? This has me concerned. I emailed back yesterday, but haven't received a response.

so once again we have people posting that A. you are insensitive to the island people. B. you should be grateful no matter where you go, C. Their sailing is worse off than yours...blah blah blah. Hey it's ok to be upset, I leave Nov 3rd and still have no itinerary posted..LOL

I am listening to you and I care. :D

Donna

Good luck Donna. Hope it works out for you. :cool:

I'd be thrilled with this itinerary. The December 3 (originally Eastern) itinerary that we got goes to Port Canaveral, GSC, Nassau, Ocho Rios, etc. This is my first time back to NCL after many years. I probably won't be back after this. I feel like they didn't put any effort into trying to find a similiar itinerary for us. I have been paying attention to other cruise lines and their revised itineraries. Other cruise lines have done much better. To the OP: I'd happily take more sea days and get better ports. Just my 2 cents.

Nationwide cruise insurance does. The best plan pays 1,250 per person if itinerary changes prior to embarkation date. I happen to have that insurance, so it looks like I will get 2,500 back.

Do you get that only if you cancel inside final payment, or is it paid even if you cruise?

Do you get that only if you cancel inside final payment, or is it paid even if you cruise?

They cover it only if you cruise, but the insurance won't cover changes caused from the damages from the previous storms/hurricanes or those that are already on the way. It only covers if you had the insurance before any of them were even a threat.

The total cost was 179.78 to insure 3,000. Medical coverage is 150k and med evac is 1 million. They first gave me a quote of 206, but a message told me the price dropped, and it ended up being 179. This was without CFAR coverage.

Is it a Cancel by Any Reason plan? If so, it's a good deal. Oh and did you have to add it at the time of initial payment?

They cover it only if you cruise, but the insurance won't cover changes caused from the damages from the previous storms/hurricanes or those that are already on the way. It only covers if you had the insurance before any of them were even a threat.

Wait a minute, do you mean it is an insurance for change of ports, not cancellation?

One of my cruises from NYC had a total itinerary changed while we we cruising along the south, original ports were san juan, st thomas, tortola and another eastern port. Hurricane diverted us to port canavral, nassau and freeport. Was pissed off for a few days got over it and enjoyed what we had. Was refunded one port tax and cabin was given $25 OBC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is it a Cancel by Any Reason plan? If so, it's a good deal. Oh and did you have to add it at the time of initial payment?

Wait a minute, do you mean it is an insurance for change of ports, not cancellation?

It depends on the plan you purchase. Search Nationwide Insurance and you will see the coverages offered for their 3 plans offered. They have insurance to cancel, depending on the reason. They also payout different amounts depending on if the port is changed prior to sailing, during sailing, etc.

It depends on the plan you purchase. Search Nationwide Insurance and you will see the coverages offered for their 3 plans offered. They have insurance to cancel, depending on the reason. They also payout different amounts depending on if the port is changed prior to sailing, during sailing, etc.

Thank you!

Plethora is correct and factual. Within easyt sailing of any itinerary that includes Aruba there is Bonnair, Curacao, Grenada, Cartegena, Trinada & Tobaggo, St Lucia, and Martinique. On the way there from NYC there are several stops in the Bahamas, Jamaica, Grand Caymen. True these potential ports may be busier than normal. Possibly piers are full, but tendering is gernerally always possible.

No “plethora” is your opinion, not fact unless you are actually working with all the cruise lines to work out all of these changes. You can’t possibly know which ports are available and reachable within the time constraints. Sorry, no one who is not involved with the scheduling can know this.

And you do know, I presume, that it takes far longer to get to those islands from NY or north eastern ports and if you stop in some of the closer ports you run out of other ports you can reach, thus decreasing the number of islands available. You are simply not being realistic. The logistics limit what you can do. That is a fact. Period.

Although, I’m quite sure that NCL and the other cruise lines would welcome your scheduling expertise. Since you clearly think you know how to do it better.

And the argument that a port should be dropped because some may complain about tendering borders on silly. It certainly is reaching for an argument to justify a cruise line that can do no wrong is some eys.

Silly? Perhaps you’d like to man the Guest Services desk for all these cruises.

I’m guessing you are not seeing a harbor teeming with ships, and tender boats (ships will have to use their own because the ports won’t have enough) all jockeying for position at limited dock space to unload. And probably with little space to unload because there isn’t enough ground transportation to move the crowds away from the dock.

And moored ships need room at anchor for the ship to move with the tide and currents, so you can’t exactly pack them in. Some are going to have a long ride.

Logistics.

And I could care less about NCL, so I have no reason, nor desire to justify what they do. I just think people need to grasp the enormity of the task at hand, and far too many have failed to be realistic.

It may surprise some, but many are able to do their own thing in a port of call, easing demand on excursions. The thought that a port should be dropped in favor of a sea day because an island may have difficulty meeting demand is self serving. Ask the locals, I suspect they would rather deal with an abundance of customers than not.

Doesn’t surprise me at all. I have done so many times, but not in a port that has more ships in port,and therefore more people in port than it can handle.

I’m quite sure that the locals would love an abundance of customers, as long as those customers are not stuck at the dock with no way to get to them, or floating around in tenders waiting for a space to dock, or stuck in traffic on roads that weren’t built to handle this volume.

Logistics.

Again using Bermuda as an example because it’s a place I am extremely familiar with ... 2 big cruise ships in port with 4000 maybe more passengers getting off pretty much at the same time. I’ve seen it. I’ve experienced it.

Everyone wants to go to Horseshoe Bay. There is no convincing anyone that there are plenty of other beaches. Horseshoe is the one they want because it has facilities. Heaven forbid you have to sit on the sand. Gotta have a chair and an umbrella.

There is the public bus. It makes all the stops because it’s a bus the Bermudians use. It’s generally crowded with Bermudians going about their business. Ship guests can’t get on.

They started a shuttle bus. There are only so many and they share the road with the other buses and trucks and Bermudians in their cars. The road is narrow, winding and there’s no place to pass. Throw some cabs and scooters in the mix and you have a spectacular traffic jam. No one is happy. It’s why they wisely built only 2 docks. I’m positive most other islands have similar situations.

Logistics

n.

FYI there is no such thing as "common sense". If there were, we would all agree on pretty much everything. Peoples experiences differ and thus the lessons learned are varied. What seems sensible to you may seem ridiculous to others. Disparaging those who disagree with a point of view simply invites a reciprocal response. It contributes nothing positive to a discussion.

Well, despite what you think there is such a thing as common sense and it has nothing to do with agreeing and everything to do with logic (the root word for logistics). Problem is that it’s not common. Einstein said that, “Common sense isn’t.”

People only want to see what affects them, personally. Some are incapable of seeing the big picture. Some choose not to. And there is a difference between disagreeing with a point of view and refusing to accept facts. And you can’t have your own facts. A fact has to be provable. An opinion does not. Logistics are factual.

I have no dog in this fight. I have never sailed on NCL and I don’t care if people say bad things about them. I have no cruise booked at all until March, by which time, I hope things are straightened out. If not, I will go with the currents.

I’m just trying to get people to see the big picture for their own benefit so they can stop stressing over things they have no control over, and relax and enjoy a wonderful cruise.

I’m out. I see no point in continuing this. Namaste

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They did ask for the date of initial payment, and since I didn't insure right away the cancel for any reason was not available.

It appears that the Nationwide, what I'll refer to as special cruise, policy is not the panacea for situations like the plethora of hurricanes recently experienced some folks make it seem. That line is not referring to those that provided facts about the coverages available.

And, the pricing, as with all policies I looked at varies considerably with age as well as cost of the cruise. At my age, the coverage that vinceg described was double the price - ymmv.

snip

And I could care less about NCL, so I have no reason, nor desire to justify what they do. I just think people need to grasp the enormity of the task at hand, and far too many have failed to be realistic.

snip

I have no dog in this fight. I have never sailed on NCL and I don’t care if people say bad things about them. I have no cruise booked at all until March, by which time, I hope things are straightened out. If not, I will go with the currents.

I’m just trying to get people to see the big picture for their own benefit so they can stop stressing over things they have no control over, and relax and enjoy a wonderful cruise.

I’m out. I see no point in continuing this. Namaste

Most people get the enormity of the task facing all the lines. Some are total satisfied with their trip, others are OK with it, and others very dissatisfied. Customer satisfaction really isn't going to be changed by explanations about a task that is obviously too big to satisfy everyone.

I have not gone other cruise line boards to see what they are doing in this mess. Frankly, I don't care about other lines now. I'm in the "well the itinerary is acceptable" camp. Not thrilled, but hey it's OK . . . beats two weeks in the cold NE.

But I still have the option to cancel. And I think anyone advised of a change this major who is inside final should be allowed to cancel.

Assuming you were informed of the new ports after final payment, would you think better of NCL if they allowed you to cancel? Would you have cancelled?

Allowing me to cancel wouldn’t have made much difference in my opinion of NCL because I understood what they were up against. While I was disappointed we couldn’t call on the islands scheduled, I followed the news and there was no way we could get there, and if we could, it probably wouldn’t be much fun.

The calendar drives this cruise decision - I have no desire to be at home for the holidays. We chose our original cruise because there were new ports for us and it was over Christmas, on a Jewel-Class ship. The ports are all changed but we will still be on a ship and not at home. (I am silently thankful we’re not going to Cozumel again.)

I’m one of the ones who tried to figure out where they could send us, and told my wife I thought we could do the ABCs, but not with Barbados and St Lucia (the two ports still open on our original itinerary.) So, we’re doing the ABCs, Grand Cayman and Jamaica. I was close.

I’m still a bit baffled, because that itinerary is the very best! I dream of itineraries like that! Lol! Seriously. Just enjoy! ABC islands are far better than what you had cancelled, and all those sea days of fun and relaxation! I’m envious!

One of my cruises from NYC had a total itinerary changed while we we cruising along the south, original ports were san juan, st thomas, tortola and another eastern port. Hurricane diverted us to port canavral, nassau and freeport. Was pissed off for a few days got over it and enjoyed what we had. Was refunded one port tax and cabin was given $25 OBC.

That's ridiculously low OBC for that kind of change. IMO should have been at least $200/per person

I agree that NCL should have released this itinerary before final payment for those who did not like the new itinerary. Personally I wouldn't mind this itinerary.

I agree that the release of the changed itinerary should have been made in order for those that wanted to cancel to do so.....but from where I am sitting? Try TWO B2B Western Caribbean itineraries...which is what we are faced with...and also within full payment period so no alternative. It is disappointing to the OP but even more so to some of us others out here who have received worse options.....and I agree that I would not mind this revised itinerary at all!

I agree that the release of the changed itinerary should have been made in order for those that wanted to cancel to do so.....but from where I am sitting? Try TWO B2B Western Caribbean itineraries...which is what we are faced with...and also within full payment period so no alternative. It is disappointing to the OP but even more so to some of us others out here who have received worse options.....and I agree that I would not mind this revised itinerary at all!

Compared to yours x2, it's spectacular! Opportunities to cancel would have created a lot of good will. The ship that just got Florida ports is even worse than a switch to Western. At least ours is only half western.

That is a different situation. I'm glad your captain kept you out of harm's way (unlike a commercial ship that sailed into a hurricane and sank last year). Glad you had a good time anyway.

The complaint was not that the itinerary changed. In fact the change was anticipated. As a careful reading of the OP will reveal, the dropping of almost half of the port days was not anticipated. For any who enjoy port days more than sea days this would be upsetting. Given the plethora of available ports, it is also puzzling.

Apparently disparaging posters takes precedence over facts.

+1 for you. Thank you for being competent. I knew change was coming i predicted the itinerary. But how do you call this new one comparable to the old one. Miss 3 ports and those fees are not refunded to you. Corporate said no compensation at all for any Altered sailings

Now im waiting to see the price when they re list it online that will be a huge slap in thr face if its significantly lower and worse if they wont let you rebook and price save