14 day cruise and only 5 ports now not 8!!!!!!! Not cool

caddykid12

I have read this comment repeatedly on these boards. Not one single person on this board or any of the other boards would wish on their worst enemy what these islands have gone through. It is truly devastating and beyond imaginable. However, that doesn't automatically exclude another person from feeling some sort of disappointment or frustration. We are all still entitled to feel whatever emotion we may feel on any given day without being made to feel small for it and without having it belittled. As much as all of us wish we could rewrite history (this being so very true for this past week), it can't be done. Can we at least please stop trying to make others feel small for having honest and completely human emotion?

Disappointment is a valid emotion. However, too often it’s “they took away our ports” which implies a) the cruise line did it on purpose and b) holds no sympathy whatsoever for people whose lives were devastated. That is not disappointment. That is whining.

I’m very disappointed that I won’t get to see Dominica, San Juan or any of the other ports that made us choose our Christmas cruise this year. However, I’m not going to accuse the cruise line of deliberately ruining my vacation by waiting to tell me where we are going and skipping ports that were devastated by a hurricane.

That’s what annoys people.

This is both a human tragedy and a logistical nightmare. It is not a chance for NCL to add more sea days to make money.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm sorry, I'm tired of all these "You should just be happy to sail" posts. No one books a specific cruise itinerary in the hopes it will be changed dramatically...can it happen? Especially during hurricane season? Sure, but all of you who claim you would be happy no matter where you go are most likely, not in this position, or have tons of disposable cash and vacation days. I didn't sign up for the itinerary I will be sailing in a couple of weeks. I am trying to make the best of it, but I know this won't be my only vacation this year so it's a little easier to swallow. Try to have some compassion for those frustrated by the changes. Is it life threatening? Is it a worse fate than those actually physically effected by the hurricanes? Of course not...but this a board frequented by cruisers...put yourself in their position and either sympathize, or move on. #rantover

Disappointment is a valid emotion. However, too often it’s “they took away our ports” which implies a) the cruise line did it on purpose and b) holds no sympathy whatsoever for people whose lives were devastated. That is not disappointment. That is whining.

I’m very disappointed that I won’t get to see Dominica, San Juan or any of the other ports that made us choose our Christmas cruise this year. However, I’m not going to accuse the cruise line of deliberately ruining my vacation by waiting to tell me where we are going and skipping ports that were devastated by a hurricane.

That’s what annoys people.

This is both a human tragedy and a logistical nightmare. It is not a chance for NCL to add more sea days to make money.

Exactly! Some act like the cruise lines are just switching things around willy nilly for some hidden agenda or purpose of their own. No mention at all that there have been 3 back to back hurricanes that have caused havoc to cruise schedules, not to mention horrible destruction.

Yes, I can understand disappointment. I was looking forward to visiting St Thomas/St John, Tortola/Jost VanDyck and St Maarten on our cruise in March. We may or may not make those ports and even if we do they aren’t going to be what they were. Knowing that, I’m fine we sea days or substitute ports.

And I’ve never cruised on NCL so I’m no cheerleader. I’m just following what the different lines are doing in the face of chaos.

Two thoughts:

1, If I were booked on this cruise I surely would have canceled; I am genuinely puzzled why so many who are seemingly selective about ports didn't simply cancel and reassess.

2, Nevertheless it would be a nice PR move if NCL were to extend free cancellation deadline for a few days.

Edited by genegri

I'm sorry, I'm tired of all these "You should just be happy to sail" posts. No one books a specific cruise itinerary in the hopes it will be changed dramatically...can it happen? Especially during hurricane season? Sure, but all of you who claim you would be happy no matter where you go are most likely, not in this position, or have tons of disposable cash and vacation days. I didn't sign up for the itinerary I will be sailing in a couple of weeks. I am trying to make the best of it, but I know this won't be my only vacation this year so it's a little easier to swallow. Try to have some compassion for those frustrated by the changes. Is it life threatening? Is it a worse fate than those actually physically effected by the hurricanes? Of course not...but this a board frequented by cruisers...put yourself in their position and either sympathize, or move on. #rantover

I *am* in this position. My itinerary on the Jade for Christmas completely changed. We’re not even calling on the islands that weren’t damaged. So, I think I can speak to this.

My wife and I watched helplessly as one by one, our Christmas cruise ports were washed away. We don’t have tons of disposable cash, so we have been waiting, like so many others, to find out where we were going.

We really wanted to do our original itinerary, but we realized that was highly unlikely. At that point, we just wanted our annual Christmas cruise, and we trusted NCL would come up with something relatively reasonable.

We’re going to Grand Cayman (been there, done that), Falmouth, Jamaica (our fourth or fifth visit to Jamaica, ho-hum) and the ABCs (all three, so Bonaire is new for us.)

Am I happy? Well, we get to see one new island instead of two. So it goes. So, no, I’m not really happy.

Am I freaking out? No, there were two major hurricanes through the area. I am shallow enough to admit while I am happy to donate what I can to help recovery, I don’t need to spend my vacation in an area trying to rebuild. So, we’re going somewhere else. Life happens.

We did not accuse NCL of deliberately waiting to announce where we were going. I’ve been in IT for 35 years, and I almost understand the amount of variables involved in multiple cruise lines rescheduling multiple ships of different capacities with multiple cruise lengths, leaving from different ports, given a subset of ports of call available, and knowing that some ships cannot dock in some ports.

I can be disappointed without immediately lapsing into conspiracy theories that the cruise lines are making sure nobody can cancel, or blaming the cruise line for avoiding hurricane-ravaged islands.

I’ve actually read the cruise contract terms and conditions, so I know ports can change for a vast number of reasons and I understand that a Cat 5 hurricane is a good freakin’ reason.

So, I can understand people are disappointed - I am - but there is a limit before it just becomes whining, and blaming NCL for changing itineraries when weather destroyed some of the most popular ports is a bit much.

Am I happy? Not really. There were islands I had never visited on our original itinerary, which is hard to find. Am I still getting a 10-day cruise? Yes. Am I going to sail with a positive attitude? I plan to do so.

I didn't sign up for the itinerary I will be sailing in a couple of weeks.

If NCL followed the original itinerary, people would complain.

If NCL changed the original itinerary, people would complain.

It's a no-win situation.

Try to have some compassion for those frustrated by the changes.
Most people were trying to be positive. The alternative would be to reply with "...that itinerary sucks...you should stay home..."

...put yourself in their position and either sympathize, or move on. #rantover
How is it that you can ask others to feel a certain way but it is wrong for others to ask the OP to feel a certain way? Sympathy isn't guaranteed.

Suggesting that people should "move on" if they feel differently doesn't work if you are unwilling to do the same.

Too bad they couldn't fit in Bonaire but overnight in Aruba is nice. I would have preferred to have both Aruba overnight and Bonaire but take away Antigua, but then it might not work time wise.

I do believe NCL tried their best though. Considering the ship sails from NY, I can't quite imagine an itinerary that would have more islands, unless you want to have Freeport, Nassau, GSC, Port Canaveral in the mix.

Could have done GSC day 3. Then head to aruba.

Bonire in the middle rather thsn leave at noon. Thats practically another sea day to make 8 sea days

We have just been sent the same and I am not happy

I fully understand that some of the ports were destroyed but Barbados was not one of them

We are flying from the uk to nyc and have been told that the flights are non refundable so we are now £3000 out of pocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't sign up for the itinerary I will be sailing in a couple of weeks. I am trying to make the best of it, but I know this won't be my only vacation this year so it's a little easier to swallow.

Stay strong and carry on through this dark hour! Visiting those horrible islands in the southern caribbean in the winter is awful!

Now, if only the cruise line had emailed you a warning that itineraries were changing three weeks ago, you could have made an informed decision!

If only....

If you haven't been you're going to LOVE Curacao! And overnight in Aruba.... shoot, I'll take your place!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is Curacao like my wife is worried that it may not be safe

What is Curacao like my wife is worried that it may not be safe

I didn't feel unsafe AT ALL! We ported at an old fort full of shops you walk through and then you head across the floating bridge to the city. All the colorful buildings.... all I did was walk around, shop, and take a ride on the floating bridge as it opened for ships and it's one of my all time favorite ports.

I didn't feel unsafe AT ALL! We ported at an old fort full of shops you walk through and then you head across the floating bridge to the city. All the colorful buildings.... all I did was walk around, shop, and take a ride on the floating bridge as it opened for ships and it's one of my all time favorite ports.

Ok thank you do they offer shore excursions as well ?

Ok thank you do they offer shore excursions as well ?

I'm sure they do, but I didn't do one. You'd have to check out the boards or NCLs website for that. I don't remember seeing private vendors when we got off the ship, but it was a few years back so.

Waited 2 days after Final Payment for ncl to release the new 14 day itinerary and took away 3 ports!!!!

Who does 5 ports and 9 sea days on a 14 day cruise. Deff not on good terms with that

Originally was San Juan. St thomas st maarten tortola dominica barbados st lucia antigua

now we are

Fri New York, New York

Sat At Sea

Sun At Sea

Mon At Sea

Tue Oranjestad, Aruba8:00 Overnight

Wed Oranjestad, Aruba12:00 pm

Thu Willemstad, Curacao8:00 am5:00 Fri At Sea

Sat Bridgetown, Barbados8:00

Sun Castries, St. Lucia8:00 am5:00 Mon St. John's, Antigua8:00 am5:00 TueAt Sea

WedAt Sea

ThuAt Sea

FriNew York City, New York

Very dissapointed. They just want more sea days to re coupe thier loses

seems this same topic only I think it may have been a 10 day cruise was posted and discussed yesterday. What would you have liked them to do, drop you off at a port with a pier that isn't there or barely there and no excursions or shopping available? I am having trouble, as are others understanding how some can be so insensitive to the problems facint these islands and the cruise lines. and what do you mean by: making up their loses by missing 3 islands, what losses? that is a strange statement.

Edited by newmexicoNita

seems this same topic was posted and discussed yesterday. What would you have liked them to do, drop you off at a port with a pier that isn't there or barely there and no excursions or shopping available? I am having trouble, as are others understanding how some can be so insensitive to the problems facint these islands and the cruise lines. and what do you mean by: making up their loses by missing 3 islands, what losses? that is a strange statement.

Not liking the new itinerary is not being insensitive to the devastation. It is not caring for the new itinerary and the timing of the changes in the case of the OP. My situation was well after final payment so timing was not an issue. My issue with the Jade's new itinerary is that not even the two undamaged ports were left. Sun and Dawn got similar cruises to what we booked. We got NO original ports. I would not have spent thousands and two weeks of our time on this itinerary.

We have contributed generously to disaster relief and worry greatly about those who have lost their homes and livlihood such as the private tour provider we'd hired for Domenica.

Yes, changes have to be made. We all know that. The fact is that some ships have been treated better than others in the rescheduling. OP should not be hammered by posters who assume he/she doesn't care. For those who like the new itinerary and love sea days, OP's new itinerary is great. That doesn't mean OP has to like it. He/she didn't book that cruise and the timing in his/her case IS suspect. My DH does not like sea days at all...waste of time in his opinion. He isn't going to be happy we've lost a port and have equal sea days and ports......I'm going to wait and let him find that out onboard, lol, and do my complaining here where only the cheerleaders (and I am normally one for NCL) will blast me. And yes, we'll make the best of it. To the poster concerned about Curacao....don't be. It's beautiful and safe. We've enjoyed our two times there before...just didn't want a third time which is what we got.

Not liking the new itinerary is not being insensitive to the devastation. It is not caring for the new itinerary and the timing of the changes in the case of the OP. My situation was well after final payment so timing was not an issue. My issue with the Jade's new itinerary is that not even the two undamaged ports were left. Sun and Dawn got similar cruises to what we booked. We got NO original ports. I would not have spent thousands and two weeks of our time on this itinerary.

We have contributed generously to disaster relief and worry greatly about those who have lost their homes and livlihood such as the private tour provider we'd hired for Domenica.

Yes, changes have to be made. We all know that. The fact is that some ships have been treated better than others in the rescheduling. OP should not be hammered by posters who assume he/she doesn't care. For those who like the new itinerary and love sea days, OP's new itinerary is great. That doesn't mean OP has to like it. He/she didn't book that cruise and the timing in his/her case IS suspect. My DH does not like sea days at all...waste of time in his opinion. He isn't going to be happy we've lost a port and have equal sea days and ports......I'm going to wait and let him find that out onboard, lol, and do my complaining here where only the cheerleaders (and I am normally one for NCL) will blast me. And yes, we'll make the best of it. To the poster concerned about Curacao....don't be. It's beautiful and safe. We've enjoyed our two times there before...just didn't want a third time which is what we got.

I agree we seem to be a little better off then some but I cannot understand why they have changed ports that are open

Coming from the uk to cruise costs a small fortune if we cancel we will lose £5000 which i can not afford to do an we are traveling with friends who are worried as well

Our final payment is not due until December so at least we have time to try and plan but we have already booked hotels in New York which we cannot cancel now

Could have done GSC day 3. Then head to aruba.

Bonire in the middle rather thsn leave at noon. Thats practically another sea day to make 8 sea days

I suppose you have access to the schedules of ALL the other dozens or more of ships in the areas at the same time you are sailing? And I suppose you have the port info of ALL the various ports available in the area you are going? Sure would like to know where you get that info!

Remember all the cruiselines and many ports are affected, not just yours. It has to be a logistic nightmare for the cruise companies and ports to figure this all out.

I just returned from a 11 night southern Caribbean last Friday. We were WAY past the final payment when the hurricanes came through. Half our ports remained the same and 3 new ones were added. We had a wonderful time. So don't think I'm coming from a position unlike yours. But, You could have canceled had you been too worried ahead of time, many didn't even have that option at all. You took the gamble and, in your opinion lost.

Waited 2 days after Final Payment for ncl to release the new 14 day itinerary and took away 3 ports!!!!

Who does 5 ports and 9 sea days on a 14 day cruise. Deff not on good terms with that

Originally was San Juan. St thomas st maarten tortola dominica barbados st lucia antigua

now we are

Fri New York, New York

Sat At Sea

Sun At Sea

Mon At Sea

WedAt Sea

ThuAt Sea

We are doing the same 14 day a month later (Feb 2nd) We got 6 ports:D Its not my dream cruise and yes we can cancel but we think its pretty good. I'm not big on sea days, I'll be bouncing off the walls at the end of the third day at sea.

FriNew York, New York3:00 pm

SatAt Sea

SunAt Sea

MonAt Sea

TueOranjestad, Aruba8:00 am5:00 pm

WedWillimstad, Curacao8:00 am5:00 pm

ThuKralendijk, Bonaire8:00 am4:00 pm

FriAt Sea

SatFort-de-France, Martinique8:00 am5:00 pm

SunCastries, St. Lucia8:00 am5:00 pm

MonBassettere, St. Kitts8:00 am5:00 pm

TueAt Sea

WedAt Sea

ThuAt Sea

FriNew York City, New York8:00 am

My sister and brother in law live on Tortola. They have been without power for over five weeks. The island resembles Hiroshima after the blast. St. Maarten just as bad, if not worse. I know a lot of people are upset about changed itineraries, and rightfully so, but you are still visiting some beautiful places on a beautiful ship. I've even heard people who are booked on western caribbean cruises complaining about crowded ports now that many lines have moved their cruises there. So,my advice is to check in, get your card, drop off your bags, grab a drink and some food, meet the crew and some fellow passengers, and have a great time.

now we are

Fri New York, New York

Sat At Sea

Sun At Sea

Mon At Sea

WedAt Sea

ThuAt Sea

While i understand the frustration about the route change after final payment, that can be considered a bit dirty on the cruise lines part.

I do understand that they needed to make the change. I'm on this cruise and i like the schedule they made it a more Southern cruise, never been to Aruba or Curacao. Would have like to see Bonair on that list, instead of wasting a half day at Aruba that could be becaus Bonair peirs are already filled up, but for the most part i think its not a bad change at all.

As far as sea days verses port days, for us not a big deal, we kinda like it getting broken up a bit.

I do have one question thoough, should we be getting any kind of credit (port fee's and taxes) see that we will be visiting less ports? Anybody have experience with this?