Really?

grandgeezer

December 21, Twelve days on the Eclipse, pricing: Xciting deal:

All pricing per person as of about 30 minutes ago.

Balcony: $1399 base price for a guarantee. Plus $800 for two perks.

Concierge: $1499 base price for a guarantee. Plus $1800 (no typo) for two perks.

Aqua: 1599 base price for a guarantee. Plus $1800 (again, no typo) for two perks.

If you take the two most common perks, Classic drink package and prepaid gratuities, and pay for them onboard, they would cost $828.

And they have your best interest at heart? Most people would catch this, but what about the newbies and elderly?

An obvious yield management strategy. The $1800 for two perks is merely to make sure that the market segment interested in the cheaper guarantee fare is clearly separated from the market segment that is willing to pay $3400 or more for a regular cabin with the two included perks.

I hate to ruin a good story...

Appear classic goes for $55/dy per person plus 18% at checkout. As a perk both occupants get it.

That costs $1,557.60.

Grats for AQ/CC are $14/dy per person. That's $336.

Add them up and you're over $1,800 by a few US$.

Basically, you pay full price for perks in AQ/CC and pay a discounted price for a balcony.

Seems like a way to sell balcony's as perhaps the other classes are in higher demand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One has to realize that the "base" price of all cruises with Celebrity (except transoceanic and repositioning cruises) IS the GoBig/Better/Best pricing (on oceanview and higher). Under the current "The World is Open" promotion GoBetter is being offered at the base GoBig price. Any other fares such as Senior rates, Residency discounts and "Exciting Deal" fares are "tactical" discounts offered only for a limited time period and/or may not be available to all passengers. When taking the extra discount the passenger forfeits the perks afforded in the base fare. If the extra discount is available it is important to compare the true value of the perks you would get use from to the amount of the discount to ensure you are getting the best value. If the perks have no value to you, or have a relative value less than the amount of the discount, then the discounted fare may better, when available.

I think one must realize, as well, if you do not want a beverage package or any other perk, then all is well... there are a few posters who do not beverage pkgs, so there is a savings.

Have not checked what the cost is for one (1) perk, but there may be an additional savings pending on which is selected.

Generally, I would not recommend trying to get a 'bargain' including perks from the weekly deals listing. X has to make up some of the discounting some how, where possible.

If one is looking for a discount and have a few perks included, then look to TA's who book groups, as I understand it to some degree, they will come close to the weekly deals and throw in a perk or two pending the sailing. And no, I do not know who these agents are... ;-)

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

I think one must realize, as well, if you do not want a beverage package or any other perk, then all is well... there are a few posters who do not beverage pkgs, so there is a savings.

Have not checked what the cost is for one (1) perk, but there may be an additional savings pending on which is selected.

Generally, I would not recommend trying to get a 'bargain' including perks from the weekly deals listing. X has to make up some of the discounting some how, where possible.

If one is looking for a discount and have a few perks included, then look to TA's who book groups, as I understand it to some degree, they will come close to the weekly deals and throw in a perk or two pending the sailing. And no, I do not know who these agents are... ;-)

bon voyage

Travel Agent "blocked" promotional group space that is unsold is generally "returned" to the cruise line at final payment date (generally 90 days prior to departure), sometimes earlier if a sailing is heavily booked. Therefore if booking sub 90 days the travel agents may no longer have that "price advantage" of being able to combine the group rate with the current base booking offer.

What about it? Everyone is born with a brain. Is it not?

That may be true, too much evidence to the contrary. However it's like saying everyone has common sense.

It's not what we are born with but how we use it.

I hate to ruin a good story...

Appear classic goes for $55/dy per person plus 18% at checkout. As a perk both occupants get it.

That costs $1,557.60.

Grats for AQ/CC are $14/dy per person. That's $336.

Add them up and you're over $1,800 by a few US$.

Basically, you pay full price for perks in AQ/CC and pay a discounted price for a balcony.

Seems like a way to sell balcony's as perhaps the other classes are in higher demand?

The prices quoted are PER PERSON not per room. You are paying an extra $3600 for those $1800 worth of perks. Doesn't sound like a great deal to me, but maybe I'm just old.

Maybe someone already noticed this, but those prices are Guarantee room rates for that cruise. If you want the same 2 perks as if you booked a specific room but at the guarantee price, the price would be about the same, less $50 or so. I think it's smart of X to offer a cheap holiday rate for those that don't drink and just want to go for a cruise over the holidays.

One has to realize that the "base" price of all cruises with Celebrity (except transoceanic and repositioning cruises) IS the GoBig/Better/Best pricing (on oceanview and higher). Under the current "The World is Open" promotion GoBetter is being offered at the base GoBig price. Any other fares such as Senior rates, Residency discounts and "Exciting Deal" fares are "tactical" discounts offered only for a limited time period and/or may not be available to all passengers. When taking the extra discount the passenger forfeits the perks afforded in the base fare. If the extra discount is available it is important to compare the true value of the perks you would get use from to the amount of the discount to ensure you are getting the best value. If the perks have no value to you, or have a relative value less than the amount of the discount, then the discounted fare may better, when available.

The OP's posting has nothing to do with Senior or Residential rates - the information in the posting is specifically for the selection of a guarantee cabin. For the selection of a guarantee AQ cabin $1599 is the current base price, Go Better is another $1800 and Go Best is another $2340!

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

Maybe someone already noticed this, but those prices are Guarantee room rates for that cruise. If you want the same 2 perks as if you booked a specific room but at the guarantee price, the price would be about the same, less $50 or so. I think it's smart of X to offer a cheap holiday rate for those that don't drink and just want to go for a cruise over the holidays.

Actually the current rate for a specific A2 cabin is $3699 pp which is $300 greater than the Guarantee with 2 perks ($1599 + $1800 = $3399)

The prices quoted are PER PERSON not per room. You are paying an extra $3600 for those $1800 worth of perks. Doesn't sound like a great deal to me, but maybe I'm just old.

I stand corrected!

Seems as though travelers are paying a high premium to select a room with perks versus the 'base' rate of a guarantee room and then purchasing a drink package and gratuities.

Celebrity does not offer the guarantee rate as the "base" rate - it is a tactical discount (with or without perks varies) that is used to fill the last few unsold cabins. The OP SPECIFICALLY noted the rates in their example as being part of Celebrity's "exciting deal" promotion (typically only offered for a limited timeframe on sailings within the penalty period with a significant amount of unsold inventory) - which IS a tactical rate, does not include perks, and is being used to sell rooms that otherwise might go unoccupied.

The amount of discount of any tactical rates has ZERO bearing as to the "base" rate, or the perceived value of any perks associated with the GoBig/Better/Best pricing structure. It is entirely related to what historical sales patterns, combined with the number of unsold cabins at any given date prior to departure, predict the market will pay to fill the rooms on a bare bones fare. In essence it is a "sale" in the truest sense - only offered to help clear inventory and only for a limited time and/or a limited pool of buyers (which is also the case when they offer residency or senior DISCOUNTS further out from sailing).

The large differential in fare between booking a room on the "exciting deal" offer as a category gty, vs selecting a specific room with 2 inclusive perks on the 12 night 12/21/17 Eclipse cruise is related the number of unsold rooms for this specific departure date as there are MANY open cabins in all categories including suites. This is one of the deepest discounts I have seen from Celebrity in some time (>$1000pp in most cases).

ALL the cruise use similar strategies when ships are below revenue/occupany goals within the penalty period for a given sailing.

Let me quote two sentences from the world is open advertising on Celebrity's web site.

Each of the first two guests in a qualifying ocean view, veranda, Concierge Class, or AquaClass stateroom are eligible to receive two complimentary amenities:

Offer is not combinable with Book & Go Packages, Exciting Deals, Interline, senior, loyalty, resident, net, travel agent, and employee rates.

If you book a guaranteed balcony, you are booking a qualifying cabin......note: there is no mention in that sentence of a qualifying fare!

The guaranteed rate is not noted as any of the listed exclusion rates...it is a guarantee rate...and that isn't excluded in the T&C's

I didn't write the T&C's....they are Celebrity's....and the fares shown for the cabin are the current official price.

The offer is not "get two perks when you book "good""....in fact it doesn't mention good/better/best anywhere in the T&C's.

I'm not doing anything with the above other than highlighting...but read the T&C's for the offers and you can either say....oh, I know what they mean...or oh, it's just another web error.....but if this ever arrived in a legal setting, the words speak...not your understanding of what they probably meant. False advertising....you decide.

Let me quote two sentences from the world is open advertising on Celebrity's web site.

Each of the first two guests in a qualifying ocean view, veranda, Concierge Class, or AquaClass stateroom are eligible to receive two complimentary amenities:

Offer is not combinable with Book & Go Packages, Exciting Deals, Interline, senior, loyalty, resident, net, travel agent, and employee rates.

If you book a guaranteed balcony, you are booking a qualifying cabin......note: there is no mention in that sentence of a qualifying fare!

The guaranteed rate is not noted as any of the listed exclusion rates...it is a guarantee rate...and that isn't excluded in the T&C's

I didn't write the T&C's....they are Celebrity's....and the fares shown for the cabin are the current official price.

The offer is not "get two perks when you book "good""....in fact it doesn't mention good/better/best anywhere in the T&C's.

I'm not doing anything with the above other than highlighting...but read the T&C's for the offers and you can either say....oh, I know what they mean...or oh, it's just another web error.....but if this ever arrived in a legal setting, the words speak...not your understanding of what they probably meant. False advertising....you decide.

The category guarantee rates are typically not combineable with GoBig/Better/Best (The World is Open promo IS in essence GoBetter under a different name as there is no World is Open fare code). Celebrity consider category guarantee rates (W - Suite, XA - Aqua, XC - Concierge, X - Veranda, Y - Oceanview, Z - Interior) as promotional (i.e. Tactical) discount rates akin to any other discounted rated (Senior, Resident, Exciting Deals, etc.

It appears that you have omitted any reference to the T&C's for 'Guaranteed Rates', as I Am sure there are a few.

Some of which may be applicable to your post or possibly not.

I Am not looking to challenge X in court over something like this, if there is someone (including yourself) who would like to, I trust the plaintiffs would prevail in court.

This is quite similar to the quasi-threats that several UK residents present over grievances, some have with X's T&C's as applied in the UK. To date, I Am not aware of any successful or un-successful actions taken by passengers or potential passengers against X due to T&C's.

Go for it, if you consider it a legitimate issue and can be proved.

bon voyage

The category guarantee rates are typically not combineable with GoBig/Better/Best (The World is Open promo IS in essence GoBetter under a different name as there is no World is Open fare code). Celebrity consider category guarantee rates (W - Suite, XA - Aqua, XC - Concierge, X - Veranda, Y - Oceanview, Z - Interior) as promotional (i.e. Tactical) discount rates akin to any other discounted rated (Senior, Resident, Exciting Deals, etc.

There is no "in essence" or promotional fare or tactical rate....none of which is excluded from "the world is open" advertising.

Bo....I have no intention of doing anything legal....I'm just pointing out that the words are the words that govern the contract and the words are what are taken into account if some state wishes to push a false advertising claim. In essence, IMHO, Celebrity HQ legal and or marketing staff appears to have not done a very thorough job (being kind).

There is no "in essence" or promotional fare or tactical rate....none of which is excluded from "the world is open" advertising.

Bo....I have no intention of doing anything legal....I'm just pointing out that the words are the words that govern the contract and the words are what are taken into account if some state wishes to push a false advertising claim. In essence, IMHO, Celebrity HQ legal and or marketing staff appears to have not done a very thorough job (being kind).

Okay g - I take you at your word. My only question, still, what is the value of bringing this to our attention, on other occasions by others, again?

Fortunately X has been doing business in the U.S. for some time and, I believe, understands what they can or cannot do as far as marketing/advertizing goes.

If there are individuals who do not understand or accept this or want to challenge it, I say go for it, once again.

Are you aware of or have you complained to your State's AG about X's advertizing? Sounds like you are very bothered by it and I, again, support your need to complain at least to the AG instead of bringing a law suit.

Most of us would rather enjoy hearing how it turns out, again, hopefully in your favour after going through motions of bringing the issues to your AG's attention for further investigation and/or warning to X about this 'issue' or rejection of the complaint as it meets the standards set by the state.

The reason I Am pushing you to do this, that way it can be put to bed and tied up one way or another and others can point to the response from your AG as the final arbiter of what is or is not considered legal advertizing OR use of words in their adverts in your state and possibly others.

The UK citizens who point to a British consumer law they believe X is breaking there, and none, as far as I know or have seen posted, pursued this with the board(s) which governs such areas.

The other thing to consider is to challenge X directly on this issue and book the fare and then the additional programs you seek. Quite possible that someone up the ladder will relent and give you what you point out or not.

You surely can let us know how this approach goes????

bon voyage

Just checked prices for this cruise in the UK. Weird. They appear to be for example (prices for two), Guaranteed Concierge cost £4298 (no drinks), or, get this, choose your own cabin from those available eg C1 £3758 (including classic drinks for both passengers). Clearly noone would pay an extra £540 for an unkown cabin and no drinks so whats the point here ?

Currently £4298 = $5649.

On the December 2 Equinox cruise you will be taking, we were offered all four perks for $650. We'll have access to some booze as an Elite+ plus 240 internet minutes each, more than enough for us on a seven day trip. We would get $150 OBC each and gratuities. Obviously, the perks are not a benefit for us.