Royal Diamond on MSC Diviana: Where Status Recognition is Non-Existent!

gkbiiii

I wonder if some of the different experiences of MSC are anything to do with where it is sailing? The Caribbean or Europe. On our recent trip in Europe we didn’t like it. I have posted our experiences on other threads so am not going into them again. However I agree that some of the crew were unfriendly and rude. Our dining room waiter and asst waiter were lovely. We hardly saw the cabin steward. The staff in the coffee shop, where we spent quite a bit of time, were hit and miss. Other staff, no, not friendly or even polite. Hardly saw any officers around either.

Based on our experience I would not risk paying for YC. It is still the same ship after all.

OP wrote: 6. There is a total lack of Tier Recognition of the Black Card Status and unless you are YC, you count for nothing!

I would like some examples of what you were looking for? I am not a high level on any line, but have been treated very nice my all of them. We are Black on MSC due to a hotel club match and have sailed on the Divina twice. I am serious about what type of treatment you are getting on other lines that you did not get with MSC.

Personally I have noted better treatment as a Diamond at Royal at Bars, Main Dining Room, Supervisors, Ship Reception, etc. This does matter on Royal and have tangible service benefits. I talked with a group of four Royal couples going to one of the Divian's parties: 1 Pinnacle & 3 Diamond Plus Couples. All agreed that they were unhappy with the overall service and total lack of recognition. I only met one Diamond couple, who had booked (on-board) another MSC cruise, though it was in YC.

Note, I did pre-book the "4" dining package and with the two Black Card comped dinners for two. I had pre-spent over $400 in extras, to get the very best of Divina, non-YC. If one takes out "Service & Hospitality" out of the equation, MSC has a First Class product. Yet, "Service & Hospitality", are the benchmark for this Hospitality based industry.

In many ways, MSC is like, if FEDEX or UPS ran an airline! At the end of the day, passengers aren't parcels or cargo!

In many ways, MSC is like, if FEDEX or UPS ran an airline! At the end of the day, passengers aren't parcels or cargo!

I bet you can finds some folks who felt like cargo on some commercial flights but didn't mind it considering the cost.

Personally I have noted better treatment as a Diamond at Royal at Bars, Main Dining Room, Supervisors, Ship Reception, etc. This does matter on Royal and have tangible service benefits. I talked with a group of four Royal couples going to one of the Divian's parties: 1 Pinnacle & 3 Diamond Plus Couples. All agreed that they were unhappy with the overall service and total lack of recognition. I only met one Diamond couple, who had booked (on-board) another MSC cruise, though it was in YC.

BETTER treatment? Or just that they mentioned your status?

I did notice some high status RCI and Princess cruisers grumble about THIS wasn't like Princess, or THAT wasn't like Royal. I did not hear anything from anyone regarding service or treatment. It sounds like you are talking about some sort of "special recognition" due to your status; you know how staff on some ships greet you in a sing song, sugary sweet way "Oh so niiiiiiiiice to see you back" with an almost impossible smile, that stuff doesn't really happen on MSC. To me the service is more professional. Pleasant, prompt, usually good, but not IN YOUR FACE Siiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrr style.

Of course if you have a rapport with handfuls of staff on other ships that you visit frequently, that will be absent. But I never felt less than anyone else on Divina regardless of room or loyalty status. The Black card events that were held were nice and the Captain was out frequently and attended many events, as did officers, all approachable.

I think some people simply can not handle any deviation from the norm. They like certain ships, they know the way certain things happen, and a handful of the staff remember them when they come back multiple times per year, no big changes is A-OK for them. They get a set of perks to try a new line; when things aren't the same they grumble, and in a way even if things were stellar they are afraid to admit it because it might take some sheen off their preferred choice. That's only natural.

I think high tier cruisers have a different perspective and may be a bit more married to THEIR perks than they may care to admit, and again, that change sort of scares them. A long time RCI cruiser might feel as alienated trying NCL, Princess, HAL, etc., I have a very hard time believing rude or unprofessional staff and poor service. No they won't pretend to be your BFF for a week because of your card.

Considering the Black Card, is well black on the back; I would think the card would mean something, as it does on Royal Caribbean.

It means your card is black. Are you expecting them to show preferential treatment to you because of the physical card?

This is not a commentary on your review but a few years ago UPS was doing weekend charters. Best flight and crew we've ever had. All the flight attendants were retired working part time. They actually showed an in-flight video of how they flipped the planes from cargo to passenger in short order. Flying as never been the same for us since.

This is not a commentary on your review but a few years ago UPS was doing weekend charters. Best flight and crew we've ever had. All the flight attendants were retired working part time. They actually showed an in-flight video of how they flipped the planes from cargo to passenger in short order. Flying as never been the same for us since.

How'd they do it? Seats affixed to modular units that affixed to cargo tie downs? Was the inside of the plane more industrial than commercial?

Maxwell, I left you a review of Hal, not sure you read it.

Yes I did read it. I'd only try one of the three newer/larger ships currently sailing. I almost did a special 4 day on NA in December but it was right after a drydock and that's a recipe for disaster. Their older ships have no appeal to me and even the most loyal speak of issues.

Yes I did read it. I'd only try one of the three newer/larger ships currently sailing. I almost did a special 4 day on NA in December but it was right after a drydock and that's a recipe for disaster. Their older ships have no appeal to me and even the most loyal speak of issues.

Our cruise was on the Maasdam :*:*

Personally I have noted better treatment as a Diamond at Royal at Bars, Main Dining Room, Supervisors, Ship Reception, etc. This does matter on Royal and have tangible service benefits.

Note, I did pre-book the "4" dining package and with the two Black Card comped dinners for two. I had pre-spent over $400 in extras, to get the very best of Divina, non-YC. If one takes out "Service & Hospitality" out of the equation, MSC has a First Class product. Yet, "Service & Hospitality", are the benchmark for this Hospitality based industry.

!

You just aren't telling us what you wanted and did not get. Mumbling about better treatment doesn't tell me anything. Do want them to call you by name? Do you want them to serve you before they serve a non-black card member? Do you want to have long drawn out conversations with them? Do you want phone calls asking if you need things? Freebies sent to the cabin? Dinner with the Captain? Details is what some of us need to better understand.

Based on your posting it seems you had more positives for MSC than Negatives. Your major complain or dissatisfaction was the lack of recognition of Black status. Really, what did you expect as it is given out based on NOT the number of times you cruised MSC, but on other cruise line status. As Diamond+, Elite+ and Elite on the other cruise lines I don't get anything as special recognition other than some perks. We don't even go to the cruise parties that are now held during the day and over crowed with people rushing to get a free drink. Maybe I am missing the extra recognition from those other lines? Enlighten me as to what you missed compare to other cruise lines.

I have to agree with this. When cruising RCI who knows what my status is unless I am actually inside a lounge or have my seapass out to pay for something or taking advantage of one of my perks? I don't know what type of recognition was being looked for.

Maybe they were looking for things like some chocolate strawberries being delivered to your room. I know I appreciate all this little things we get.

You get that with the black card. In fact, each black card member gets their own plate.

Perhaps you should read my live review of my experience on Preziosa.

More “free stuff” delivered today.....

The chocolate strawberries we got were huge, succulent and delicious and in fact nicer ( because the chocolate is better) than the ones on RCI.

bf70a91a3241fc22c6ce0decb7d60012.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did get everything but the bag, as our room attendant really did not service the room much during the week. Simply put, I have found the supervisory level of crew to be much more accommodating and friendly, than what I just experienced on Divina.