Nonrefundable clarification

iiramos

I'll have to remember that.:)

I was also surprised because the original booking date was probably a year ago (booked on board). Then I switched it to one of those well priced OA sailings for early December which was after final payment date and they still honored the 24 hour cancel policy

Darn, I am past that. Oh well, my fault. Like someone else said, I played against the house and lost! I was 100% positive that I was going on this trip, final payment is in 8 days, and just like that, one phone call changed everything!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was also surprised because the original booking date was probably a year ago (booked on board). Then I switched it to one of those well priced OA sailings for early December which was after final payment date and they still honored the 24 hour cancel policy

Not sure I understand, was this a Next Cruise certificate?

Not sure I understand, was this a Next Cruise certificate?

It was a booking I made on board a long time for a specific sailing in 2018, that I changed to the OA.12/3/17. I had thought that they might not honor the 24 hour cancel since I changed it less than 24 hours ago but the original booking date was a long time ago.

It was a booking I made on board a long time for a specific sailing in 2018, that I changed to the OA.12/3/17. I had thought that they might not honor the 24 hour cancel since I changed it less than 24 hours ago but the original booking date was a long time ago.

Surprising, I think someone at RC made a mistake, but good for you!

What service did RCI supply for the "service fee"? I'm the one sitting at the computer doing the research and making my own reservation on line. Maybe I should get on on-line booking discount.

Most of the time you can get a better bargain by booking your cruise through a travel agent. The cruise company itself cannot sell a cruise for less than they offer it to travel agents to sell. Granted, some TA may charge you more for their service, but often they are able to give you some OBC (on board credit) that booking through the cruise line itself will not.

Another example: Looking at July 2018, specific ship, specific date. We don't book-and-hold cruises; if we book one, we're going on it. My question is, if I go the nonrefundable route and book a cabin for 4 people, pay the deposit, and then it turns out the 4th person can't go, can his deposit go toward our remaining balance?

Another example: Looking at July 2018, specific ship, specific date. We don't book-and-hold cruises; if we book one, we're going on it. My question is, if I go the nonrefundable route and book a cabin for 4 people, pay the deposit, and then it turns out the 4th person can't go, can his deposit go toward our remaining balance?

I am pretty sure the non-refundable is only on the first 2, I think you get the others back.

What service did RCI supply for the "service fee"? I'm the one sitting at the computer doing the research and making my own reservation on line. Maybe I should get on on-line booking discount.

Yes! Doesn't this stuff bug you? Even worse is the airlines (with exception of Southwest and JetBlue) that charge you a large amount per ticket if you change your flight if you booked using miles. We are the ones doing all the changing and re-booking online!

I am not happy with the forced non refundable fee on suites

If you need to change ship or date you are screwed. Changes come up...and you just want to change. I don’t feel that I am a suite hog and feel that it penalizes me for booking one...just a turn off for sure

I booked a cruise with a refundable deposit. Am I right in assuming I can change it to a NRD before final payment? I'd like to keep my refundable deposit option until I'm 100% sure we are going (which will be sometime before final payment). If we'd save money by switching to NRD, I'd like to do that closer to final payment date.

My mom successfully did this a few days ago and saved $268.00. An RCL agent allowed her to switch from refundable to non-refundable at final payment.

I am not happy with the forced non refundable fee on suites

If you need to change ship or date you are screwed. Changes come up...and you just want to change. I don’t feel that I am a suite hog and feel that it penalizes me for booking one...just a turn off for sure

As always, some people ruined it for others.

But then again, if you get mad and don't book a suite at all, there are more for those of us who will. :)

Ya this is frustrating, I could see RC point if you were cancelling to go on other cruiseline or not vacationing at all, but we were just looking to switch ships and were grtting charged the change fee... which with 6 is pretty expensive.

They are still getting our vacation dollars, whats the point? Now we are just staying on the original ship.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Forums mobile app

Ya this is frustrating, I could see RC point if you were cancelling to go on other cruiseline or not vacationing at all, but we were just looking to switch ships and were grtting charged the change fee... which with 6 is pretty expensive.

They are still getting our vacation dollars, whats the point? Now we are just staying on the original ship.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Forums mobile app

The point is that now they have to sell the room you are in, potentially at a lower cost. The big thing here is unless you booked a suite, you had a choice between a nrd and a refundable rate. The nrd is cheaper, (usually by way more than the $100 change fee), so you are still ahead if you switch once.

The point is that now they have to sell the room you are in, potentially at a lower cost. The big thing here is unless you booked a suite, you had a choice between a nrd and a refundable rate. The nrd is cheaper, (usually by way more than the $100 change fee), so you are still ahead if you switch once.

It is also possible that now RCI would get to sell the room for a higher price.

It is also possible that now RCI would get to sell the room for a higher price.

That is always a possibility, but the risk is on them. Many people cancel right before final payment, after holding lots of rooms, meaning they have to heavily discount the rate to sell the room normally. While it may not be lower in every case, it doesn't matter. They put this in place to get people to either stop changing so often and get a discount, or pay a little more for the cruise.

That is always a possibility, but the risk is on them. Many people cancel right before final payment, after holding lots of rooms, meaning they have to heavily discount the rate to sell the room normally. While it may not be lower in every case, it doesn't matter. They put this in place to get people to either stop changing so often and get a discount, or pay a little more for the cruise.

And the risk should always be on the consumer why?

I agree. I'm not getting it. Unless it's a suite for now you have an option between refundable and non refundable and already there have been several complaints from folks being charged the change fee. Just book the higher refundable fare and you don't have to worry about if things change.

The nrd is cheaper, (usually by way more than the $100 change fee), so you are still ahead if you switch once.

Its interesting; we're looking at the 3/28/19 Grandeur sailing at the difference is only about $50 per person for an ocean view.

And the risk should always be on the consumer why?

In the case of a buyer having the option to freely cancel, they should bear the risk.

Seems pretty obvious you feel this is somehow onerous, devilish and consumer-unfriendly. If you are looking for a situation where you have no repurcussions for backing out of a deal, I can understand how this policy would frustrate you.

For many, it levels the playing field by quantifying the risk of a potentially changing situation.

Has anyone had to cancel a NRD booking made for four (4) guests but with the entire deposit having been paid by one (1) guest?

I know that with ES on Carnival, if you need to cancel, and you can show that the deposits were all made on a single card by one person, then the FCC will be given to that person, rather than giving FCCs to each traveler.

My sister made a booking for her, my BIL, my DN and her BF. BF is in the Marines, and why my sister thought that NRD was a good choice when we all knew he was going to be deployed I'll never know. Anyway, his deployment date is now going to interfere with this booked cruise. DSis did all of the deposits on her card so before I contact Royal to cancel, I'd like to see if anyone has had success with getting them to issue the FCC to the person making the deposits rather than individually in the names of the travelers.

I've not had anyone book using the NRD to date, as most just can't be sure that the planned trip will happen (kids, older parents, work, etc.). So I haven't had any experience in cancelling them.