New to Princess

Tutone56

Hi everyone! My wife and I are considering a cruise on the Star Princess to Hawaii out of Los Angeles in March. We've been on a number of cruises (NCL and RCL) but never sailed Princess. Is there any place to get a good idea about Princess in addition to going through all of the threads on here? I'm just trying to get an idea of the differences between NCL and Princess. Any other information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

There are differences between NCL and Princess. Some people love NCL and some not so much.

I guess the best way to answer your questions is if you could give us what you especially liked about your NCL cruising and what you did not. Then we could factually compare it to Princess as best as possible. Cruising really is so intimate that this is the best way to give you the best feel for Princess or any cruise line.

Pooh

There are differences between NCL and Princess. Some people love NCL and some not so much.

I guess the best way to answer your questions is if you could give us what you especially liked about your NCL cruising and what you did not. Then we could factually compare it to Princess as best as possible. Cruising really is so intimate that this is the best way to give you the best feel for Princess or any cruise line.

Pooh

We liked the fact that NCL was very casual. We're not into the formal night(s). We liked the ability to sign up for the spa (additional cost) and use the facilities (sauna, hot tubs, heated tile loungers, etc). Although food taste is very subjective, NCL had nice choices along with decent main dining rooms.

By the way, what is the name of the main dining rooms on the Star?

Edited by Tutone56
Fixing signature

We liked the fact that NCL was very casual. We're not into the formal night(s). We liked the ability to sign up for the spa (additional cost) and use the facilities (sauna, hot tubs, heated tile loungers, etc). Although food taste is very subjective, NCL had nice choices along with decent main dining rooms.

By the way, what is the name of the main dining rooms on the Star?

Princess has formal nights. I think there will be three on your 15 day. We have started either going to the Crown Grill on formal night or the buffet. Normal dining room attire is smart casual, so I use black jeans and Hawaiian shirts.

Demographics on Princess tend to be a bit older. You will find few children on a 15 Hawaii RT. We have done it two times. You must like sea days on that trip.

The dining rooms are Amalfi, Portofino, and Capri. Two will be Fixed Dining from 5-7:30 with one as Anytime. At 7:30 there will be one Fixed Dining and two Anytime.

As you can see in my sig, we sail both. They are more alike than different. The formal nights were already mentioned. We like the food in both, always think it's the same. Like the international food (free) on Princess deck 5 for a quick snack. Seemed to be asked more if we want to order from the bar on NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One thing Princess does that other cruise lines do not...is "Hawaiian Ambassadors".

The Star will likely have Elua, a husband and wife team who originated the program along with Dave Cole (a former CD). The program consists of lectures about Hawaii's history, language, ports, etc. (in addition to the usual lectures from "experts" about all kinds of things). There are craft classes (lei making among others), ukulele classes (bring your own or borrow a loaner), hula classes and music from Elua scattered all over the ship (in a bar in the evening, in the Piazza in the afternoon and sometimes on the pool deck). They are a very busy couple.

Even though there are a lot of sea days, there are so many activities you won't really notice. And if you don't enjoy sea days, why does one take a cruise.;p

Ela is on Star Princess in 2018. As the previous post says, they do have a large amount of Hawaiian activities on board. We are sailing in mid February on the Star Princess to Hawaii and looking forward to seeing Elua again.

Elua does read these boards and you may see some posts from them talking about the program inn Princess.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Princess has formal nights. I think there will be three on your 15 day. We have started either going to the Crown Grill on formal night or the buffet. Normal dining room attire is smart casual, so I use black jeans and Hawaiian shirts.

The "formal" night attire is only requested for dining in the main dining rooms. It is not requested for the buffet or the (extra-cost) specialty dining venues. It is not requested for any of the entertainment venues that evening.

Although the suggested minimum for men on formal evenings is a tie and jacket, there have been posts that many do go to the dining room without one or the other and are not rejected. For women, a smart looking pair of slacks with a very nice looking top is also acceptable.

We cruise on both NCL and Princess and the main differences I notice are: NCL is definitely more casual, with no formal nights (although they do have a no shorts at dinner rule in one of their MDR's, we always have to determine which one since my teen son lives in shorts); Princess has the afternoon tea option; Princess wins for best food, in my opinion, and also has the best quick service included food option (the International Café).

We have done suites on both and NCL had the best suite perks. If you aren't in a suite you won't notice those differences.

You really can't go wrong with either one. Enjoy your cruise! :)

Thanks everyone. Does the Star have a spa that you can join for the duration of the cruise that allows you to use the facilities (hot tub, sauna, etc.)? Also, has anyone experienced the cruise out of LA to Hawaii? I am planning to get a mid-ship balcony. I think you feel less movement when the water gets choppier.

Greetings!

We did the 15-day L.A. to Hawaii cruise on the Star this past Feb/March and enjoyed it thoroughly. We had a mid-ship balcony, which was wonderful. I could feel the motion when in the Princess theater at the front of the ship. The first night was very rough (for me) - the pool water was sloshing all over the decks, etc. After that I had no problems at all - I took Dramamine and used the pressure point bracelets every day. Do they work? Meh - I dunno, but I didn't want to take them off and find out that I needed them!

Elua were on the cruise, and were fantastic. We attended the hula lessons, saw them playing at different times, went to a new show that Tiki Dave developed, and really enjoyed the performance at the end with all the hula dancers and ukulele players that Dave had been working with. A highlight of that was Captain Tuvo (bye bye!) playing the ukulele with the rest of the crowd. He was an absolute delight - most enjoyable captain we've had so far.

Other than Elua related events, we always found lots to do - trivia, lectures, production shows, lounge entertainment, etc. We also spent a lot of time playing cards on the pool deck, and people watching.

The food was good in the MDR and buffet. The captain was working the pizza counter one day and I hear he was in the International Café serving coffee as well one day.

All in all, we had a great time and I would take the trip again tomorrow if I could.

Greetings!

The food was good in the MDR and buffet. The captain was working the pizza counter one day and I hear he was in the International Café serving coffee as well one day.

All in all, we had a great time and I would take the trip again tomorrow if I could.

I have only cruised three times, but have never seen the Captain in any other role but "Captain". Is this something that happens often, the Captain serving at the pizza counter, or dishing up goodies at the IC? I think that is wonderful.

I just booked my first cruise on Princess. It is the Panama Canal cruise out of Florida, Dec 9th, 2018. We have always cruised NCL and decided to venture out to another cruise line. We will be on the Caribbean Princess. Our room is L222, I hope this is a nice balcony and not a noisy section of the ship. I looked at the decks above/below us and they look like we are in a good position.

What tips can you provide.

I have been on Caribbean Princess and the Lido deck forward cabins are a good location (unless you are prone to seasickness, since up front and high you will feel more motion if you hit rough seas).

You have the Lotus Spa above you on deck 16 so any noise should be minimal. You are also the highest balcony so no one has a balcony above you. It will be handy for walking back to the buffet and bringing things back to your cabin if you want (without stairs or elevators). Also convenient if you are in the hot tubs or pool, you can just go through the doors back to your cabin to change. Enjoy your cruise!

I have been on Caribbean Princess and the Lido deck forward cabins are a good location (unless you are prone to seasickness, since up front and high you will feel more motion if you hit rough seas).

You have the Lotus Spa above you on deck 16 so any noise should be minimal. You are also the highest balcony so no one has a balcony above you. It will be handy for walking back to the buffet and bringing things back to your cabin if you want (without stairs or elevators). Also convenient if you are in the hot tubs or pool, you can just go through the doors back to your cabin to change. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the feedback. That is exactly what I was hoping.

I have only cruised three times, but have never seen the Captain in any other role but "Captain". Is this something that happens often, the Captain serving at the pizza counter, or dishing up goodies at the IC? I think that is wonderful.

My impression from years of reading posts on these boards is that no, it's not something that happens often. Captain Tuvo is a different kind of Captain though.....and we really enjoyed him.

Thanks everyone. Does the Star have a spa that you can join for the duration of the cruise that allows you to use the facilities (hot tub, sauna, etc.)? Also, has anyone experienced the cruise out of LA to Hawaii? I am planning to get a mid-ship balcony. I think you feel less movement when the water gets choppier.

There are hot tubs in a number of locations around the ship available to everyone. As part of the lotus spa, the Star has a thermal spa that includes heated stone loungers, an aromatherapy steam room and a sauna. You can buy day passes or passes for the whole cruise. On the open deck adjacent to the spa is a smaller pool and hot tubs. The entire area is quite nice.

I've been on the Hawaiian RT cruise three times, always at holiday time. The last two times Elua was on board, and I agree with the others that the Hawaiian cultural program on Princess is great. Make sure to check the Patters to find out where Elua is performing (on our cruises, usually the Piazza in the Grand Atrium or on the pool deck). I've taken Leialoha's hula classes on those cruises.

We never felt bored, but then my family loves sea days.

I'm the one in the family who gets motion sickness so we try to get midships cabins and I'll bring ginger, as that tends to help me.

On formal nights, you can go eat in the Horizon Court (the buffet), grab dinner at the International Cafe (which isn't enclosed and you can take your food with you), or book one of the specialty restaurants which are always smart casual.

Thanks for all the replies. I think we will be doing the 15 day RT out of LA. We've never been on a ship for that long, especially having all those sea days. Looking forward to trying yet another cruise line and exploring the ship.

The "formal" night attire is only requested for dining in the main dining rooms. It is not requested for the buffet or the (extra-cost) specialty dining venues. It is not requested for any of the entertainment venues that evening.

Although the suggested minimum for men on formal evenings is a tie and jacket, there have been posts that many do go to the dining room without one or the other and are not rejected. For women, a smart looking pair of slacks with a very nice looking top is also acceptable.

Actually the minimum requested for men in the DR on formal evenings is "at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks" so that a jacket or tie aren't really necessary.

It makes it not hard to comply.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually the minimum requested for men in the DR on formal evenings is "at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks" so that a jacket or tie aren't really necessary.

It makes it not hard to comply.

I will go without a tie - if they turn us away - meh...:evilsmile: