Sherry or Port wine

seachelt

The definition of wine usually has to do with the alcohol content of the bottle. I have seen brandy turned away at embarkation but have never brought sherry or port. You may want to check with Princess on the % of alcohol allowed on the bottles of wine being brought on board

I've seen these items taken upon boarding as they were referred to as fortified wine ... just a different experience.

Sherry is a dry fortified wine, which means that the brandy is added after fermentation is complete. Port, on the other hand, is a sweet wine, created by adding brandy mid-way through the fermentation process. So, 18%-20% alcohol content for the port / sherry and 12% for wine.

It sounds like it could go either way depending upon who is checking.

I'm inclined to agree with Cruise Raider. It will depend on the individual doing the check on embarcation. In the strictest sense of the word "fortified wine" is not "wine." If the guy/gal doing the checking sticks to the absolute strictest sense of the definition of wine (made only from fermented grapes), it won't be allowed. If he/she is not so strict, it probably would pass. If the bottle has the word "wine" on it, I would bet that it would pass. My guess, and this is a completely uninformed guess, is that you have an 80-90% chance of getting it through.

I hope you try it and come back here to report your experience.

The Princess policy makes me giggle, a bit. It allows embarking passengers to bring on 750 ml bottles of wine or Champagne. Champagne is wine. Adding that to the rule is absolutely redundant. If I were so inclined I would have no hesitation about bringing on a Cava or a Prosecco or a Cremant even though these are not specified in the Princess policy.

A few years ago we were stopped because we had a bottle of port. They made us pay a corkage fee even though it was one of 2 bottles we were carrying on. The crew member checked the official list so it wasn't just their judgement, I saw it. We stopped carrying wine on since then so I'm not sure what the policy is now.

A few years ago we were stopped because we had a bottle of port. They made us pay a corkage fee even though it was one of 2 bottles we were carrying on. The crew member checked the official list so it wasn't just their judgement, I saw it. We stopped carrying wine on since then so I'm not sure what the policy is now.

Interesting. Thanks for the first-hand report, Liz. You sure made me sound dumb. :o

Interesting. Thanks for the first-hand report, Liz. You sure made me sound dumb. :o

Gee, that was certainly not my intention, I am very sorry. I thought at the time it was very strange and since we almost always carried a bottle of port on board prior to this I actually questioned it which is why I was shown the list. And why was it ok when we paid a corkage fee? I don't know the answer to that one unfortunately. By the way, I have never heard anyone else report that.