How much space do extra bunks take if not used?

konatyme

We are making plans for a Panama Canal cruise on the Coral within the next year. We will be looking at an inside cabin and the couple traveling with us will want a balcony (it's their first cruise). Although we have done 5 or 6 previous cruises, we've never stayed in a cabin that indicates it would accommodate 4. I was told by a travel agent that if there are only 2 in the cabin, the space for the 3rd & 4th beds would only take up the space of "a large picture frame" on the walls. Is that true, or would these beds (even though not used), take up valuable space? And would the queen bed configuration still be possible in an inside or a balcony accommodating 4, even if only 2 people were in one of them?

As we may be choosing cabins soon, I would really appreciate information on this. Thanks!

Most with few exceptions) cabins that indicate they will hold four you will be able to convert the twins into a queen. The restriction happens when you have 3 or 4 in the cabin and then queen is not practical. As for them taking up space-They do not take any space that you would normally use. The are folded into the wall or ceiling when not being used.

Please look at the particular cabin you might be using in the Princess website and it will tell you if there is a restriction with the queen bed. There are a few but I have not looked at the Coral in particular.

Don’t do it :o

I travel solo, and did an inside with the Pullman beds once......never, ever again.

My bed was in a queen configuration and getting in and out of bed nearly knocked myself out each time, on the Pullman bunks which stick out of the wall quite a bit.

I’m only 4’ 11’ so I hate to think about anyone taller in that hugely cramped space.

Pick an inside that only sleeps 2...... check out the deck plans, and avoid the others!

My personal opinion obviously.......but I hated that cabin :(

DO NOT book an inside cabin for 3 or 4 with only 2 people unless you like to sleep in twin beds. We made this mistake once and were swearing at ourselves for 15 days on a transatlantic cruise. On most Princess ships the extra 2 beds are hung on the wall and extend far enough away to make it impossible to walk upright past them without bumping your head on them. The space between each side of the queen bed which is the width of a small nightstand is only enough for a normal person to walk towards the head of the bed. When the extra beds are hanging there you end up having to bend your body and pretty much move sideways along the bed. Then you awake in the dark and forgetting the bed is there you whack your head. Eventually you learn to put your hand in front of you to avaid a collision. The rooms are NO WIDER in general but have the extra beds to contend with. If you have the bottom beds in the twin configuration the extra hanging beds make little difference as they are no longer in the space where you walk. You can easily determine which rooms you don't want by choosing 3 passengers on the desk plan when you choose your room. The deck plan defaults to 2 which does not allow you to figure out which rooms you don't want.

It really depends on the ship whether you'll have Pullman beds or the type that recess into the ceiling (which most have). Can you tell us the ship and cabin number you're considering? You'll get a much more accurate answer that way. :)

You need to check this out. I don't know how the upper beds are on the Coral, but someone has posted that the beds are on the side walls. These are terrible.

If the cabin has the upper beds on the walls they take up a lot more room than a "large picture frame". They stick out about 7 to 8 inches and are a pain in the b.... The best way to use the cabin is to have the beds made up as twin rather than queen, but when you sit up in bed you have to be a bit careful you don't hit your head. If the bed is in queen configuration, the 'closed' upper beds extend that 7 to 8 inches over the space along the side of the bed. So to get in or out of bed, you have to bend you body into an 'S' shape as you walk sideways along the side of the bed. You could always get in over the end of the bed and crawl up to the top!!

I agree. If at all possible avoid those upper beds coming out of the wall. I'm short and also thought I might hit my head at night. The bed was a non-convertable queen on the Grand and I had to slide down the middle to get in and out. Never again...

Don’t do it :o

I travel solo, and did an inside with the Pullman beds once......never, ever again.

My bed was in a queen configuration and getting in and out of bed nearly knocked myself out each time, on the Pullman bunks which stick out of the wall quite a bit.

I’m only 4’ 11’ so I hate to think about anyone taller in that hugely cramped space.

Pick an inside that only sleeps 2...... check out the deck plans, and avoid the others!

My personal opinion obviously.......but I hated that cabin :(

I totally agree with you Darcy. Your TA is crazy they take up a lot more room then a picture frame.

Tony

Coral and Island are sisters - if we ignore the Island alterations to add a lot more cabins. I checked into this and Island Insides that can hold 4 people have the extra beds up in the ceiling (similar to Balconies on Grand and Crown class). Coral should be the same. Right??? Supposedly, no Pullmans there.

I imagine the Balconies on Island and Coral holding 4 people also have beds in the ceiling (but check or see if anyone else posts a definite answer).

cde7e1dc316507ce7da026cbf05ffaa8.jpg

Coral Princess

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep!! Great photo! That's what the beds look like sticking out of the walls. We usually book a cabin for 4 these days (with the kids) and during the day we've been known to accidentally whack our heads on the protrusion when doing things around the cabin.

If the OP HAS to book one of these cabins, you have to do it knowing you should spend minimal time in the room because it can cause bodily injury. I would not book one of these rooms unless I had a party of 4 staying in the cabin

Coral and Island are sisters - if we ignore the Island alterations to add a lot more cabins. I checked into this and Island Insides that can hold 4 people have the extra beds up in the ceiling (similar to Balconies on Grand and Crown class). Coral should be the same. Right??? Supposedly, no Pullmans there.

The picture from the Coral in post #9 proves the Inside Coral cabins do not have the extra beds up in the ceiling.

my hubby is 6'1 and has never had a problem with bumping his head on a folded Pullman bed.

We only have one kid, so only one Pullman bed is in use at all times. Since my husband is much taller than me, the Pullman bed is used above my twin bed. He's never had a problem with the bed above his head when it's not in use.

It is, however, impossible to sit on the lower bed if the Pullman bed is in use. You can only lie down, unless you are extremely short or a child. But if it's not in use - it may be slight inconvenience to most, but not "omg, it was hell, pure hell!".

IMHO.

So, if you have a choice, and the price and location are the same, go for 2 person cabin. If the location and price are much better for the 4 person cabin - heck, I'd go for that.

What I thought of as hell were regular Regal Princess beds (the lower twins). I didn't sleep for a week, they were so hard and unwelcoming. I was in pain for the duration of the cruise. Hubs thought they were very uncomfortable as well.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

We were just on the island princess and the extra beds were in the ceiling and we had no problems. In a prior cruise, we had the Pullman type bed on the side walls and it was a pain getting to and from the bed. We now always check the room maps before picking a room to make sure it’s only for two. Just remember, your on a cruise and life could be worse.

cde7e1dc316507ce7da026cbf05ffaa8.jpg

Coral Princess

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is not a picture from Coral Princess....

The picture from the Coral in post #9 proves the Inside Coral cabins do not have the extra beds up in the ceiling.

ALL upper bunks on Coral and Island Princess are recessed into the ceiling. None are hung from the wall.

Proves? On Cruisecritic?

First, you have to assume that the picture is actually from coral princess.

With no disrespect to the person posting it, there are frequently things posted

here that are wrong.

Second, the picture shows that A cabin has upper berths on the wall.

How does this prove that ALL cabins do?

We were just on the island princess and the extra beds were in the ceiling and we had no problems. In a prior cruise, we had the Pullman type bed on the side walls and it was a pain getting to and from the bed. We now always check the room maps before picking a room to make sure it’s only for two. Just remember, your on a cruise and life could be worse.

You were in an inside cabin, right?