Cruise ships on the market for sale.

Thorncroft

Interesting, many more ships might be for sale. Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Ecstasy, Carnival Inspiration, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Triumph, and more...

https://www.cruisebe.com/is-carnival-corporation-plc-really-going-to-sell-about-15-ships

So in this article, they list the 1998 ship for sale as the Paradise, but the OP said it was the Elation. Since they both floated out in 1998, I guess it could be either one. The photos of the interior look more like the Elation before the recent drydock and refit. However, with what they just invested into the Elation, it makes far more sense that the one for sale is the Paradise.

I would hate for them to sell the Elation so soon. We’ve already booked two cruises on her specifically because of the updates. I know they all retire eventually, but I really wish they would start refitting them all like they did with the Elation and keep the Fantasy class ships in service (or build new ones in that same size/capacity range). I love the smaller, less crowded ships. Though honestly, because the Elation and Paradise are the only two with the azipod propulsion, I’m surprised they haven’t started retiring some of the older Fantasy ships sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So in this article, they list the 1998 ship for sale as the Paradise, but the OP said it was the Elation. Since they both floated out in 1998, I guess it could be either one. The photos of the interior look more like the Elation before the recent drydock and refit. However, with what they just invested into the Elation, it makes far more sense that the one for sale is the Paradise.

I would hate for them to sell the Elation so soon. We’ve already booked two cruises on her specifically because of the updates. I know they all retire eventually, but I really wish they would start refitting them all like they did with the Elation and keep the Fantasy class ships in service (or build new ones in that same size/capacity range). I love the smaller, less crowded ships. Though honestly, because the Elation and Paradise are the only two with the azipod propulsion, I’m surprised they haven’t started retiring some of the older Fantasy ships sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fantasy has been up for sale for years and nobody wants her at price Carnival will accept.

appears market for old cruise ships is not very good.

Costa neoClassica has already been sold to Bahamas Paradise and will sail as the Grand Classica next spring.

Adonia has been sold to Azamara and will become Azamara Pursuit in April 2018. The final P&O sailing is February 23 from Barbados.

Arnold Donald has said that Carnival's strategy is to remove one to two ships per year. Keep in mind this is for the entire corporation, not just the Carnival line:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/17862-carnival-corp-on-track-to-slowly-remove-older-ships.html

To me the best opportunities for Carnival Cruise Line to reduce the number of ships while growing passenger capacity are in 2020 and 2022 when the "XL" or "Excellence" ships enter service. By passenger count these can replace two Fantasy class ships.

The first "XL" ship in 2020 would be the most convenient opportunity to replace the Ecstasy and Sensation as both ships will be due for drydock. Victory would move to Mobile or San Juan (with Mobile getting the Fascination) and Fantasy would move to Charleston.

Fantasy will be due for dry dock in December 2021 or January 2022, and then the second "XL" ship should come in a few months after that. Given that Imagination had a drydock in September 2016, and would be due again in 2019, there's a good chance she's on the chopping block in 2022. The second XL ship goes to Long Beach, Inspiration goes to Charleston.

If Carnival introduces another ship in 2024 of similar size, that's probably curtains for Fascination and Inspiration. Up to two ports lose service entirely, or up to two ports have service reduced to keep the others active. At that point the six oldest ships in the fleet would have been retired, all with 26-32 years of service for Carnival Cruise Line.

I could see the Fantasy class being finished off by 2025/2026 if another Carnival Cruise Line ship gets introduced in that time frame.

The replacements for the Destiny class ships won't be able to take advantage of the 2:1 size difference unless if Carnival is willing to build something over 200,000 gross tons. The same problem will also exist for the Grand and Coral classes on Princess. Costa will also run into a similar logjam. Keep in mind that the entire P&O Australia fleet as it currently stands is at least 20 years old. You may very well see a Pacific Sensation or Costa Elation before those ships are completely out of service.

(snip)

Arnold Donald has said that Carnival's strategy is to remove one to two ships per year. Keep in mind this is for the entire corporation, not just the Carnival line:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/17862-carnival-corp-on-track-to-slowly-remove-older-ships.html

To me the best opportunities for Carnival Cruise Line to reduce the number of ships while growing passenger capacity are in 2020 and 2022 when the "XL" or "Excellence" ships enter service. By passenger count these can replace two Fantasy class ships.

(snip)

And this is exactly my point. All future plans appear to be bigger and even more crowded.

One nice thing about Carnival is that they have multiple home ports all within just a few hours drive time of most of the USA. If you get rid of all the smaller ships, then they will have to stop servicing some of those ports since the newer XL ships (and whatever follows) simply won't be able to fit in those smaller ports. This is partly why we cruise on Carnival - because they are convenient. If they close ports close to us and we have to drive over 8 hours, then we may very well start cruising on other lines.

Personally, I don't enjoy spending lots of time in lines. I'm fine with the occasional line, but not okay with constant lines for nearly everything. When we were on the Breeze last month, it seemed that we spent far more time in lines for food, comedy club, shows, etc, than we remembered from our last cruise on the Ecstasy. From reports I've read online from Vista cruisers; many of them have the same complaint. Bigger ships mean more people, which means more crowded, which means less relaxing vacation.

The thought of replacing two Fantasy ships with one XL ship just aggravates me. I know it makes Carnival more money to cram more people onto a boat, but it sure doesn't make it more fun for the people trying to enjoy a relaxing vacation.

I am starting a ******** account for the purchase of a good used cruise ship. All donors will entitled to FTTF at no cost, half-priced drinks, and every other cruise will be free.

The downside will be that I am the captain of the ship, and my nautical experience is limited to a 14 foot flatboat with a 10 hp motor.

I am starting a ******** account for the purchase of a good used cruise ship. All donors will entitled to FTTF at no cost, half-priced drinks, and every other cruise will be free.

The downside will be that I am the captain of the ship, and my nautical experience is limited to a 14 foot flatboat with a 10 hp motor.

BOGO cruise. I can help with the steering. And the good news is I’ve never had a large boat catch fire while I was driving it.

the best part about this thread is Michah's Grandad. if you were to buy this ship, could i be a bartender? i just wanna sail/eat/travel for free whenever you go sailing as "pay." and maybe listen to you tell stories and make jokes. you seem like a funny guy.

This is a load of rubbish the web site which is mentioned is not anything to do with any Cruise company. It is for speculators. They look at the fleets and the old ships and then try to sell them if they get someone interested they try to broker a deal.

A P&O ship has been on that site for about 7 years. It is not going to happen. Big companies do not offer their ships up for sale on the internet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a load of rubbish the web site which is mentioned is not anything to do with any Cruise company. It is for speculators. They look at the fleets and the old ships and then try to sell them if they get someone interested they try to broker a deal.

A P&O ship has been on that site for about 7 years. It is not going to happen. Big companies do not offer their ships up for sale on the Internet.

This honestly makes the most sense about why certain ships are there. I also find it hard to believe that Carnival would list only some of their ships on one site and different ones on another site. If they were seriously selling them, there should be consistency between any for sale site.

But still... makes you wonder.

the best part about this thread is Michah's Grandad. if you were to buy this ship, could i be a bartender? i just wanna sail/eat/travel for free whenever you go sailing as "pay." and maybe listen to you tell stories and make jokes. you seem like a funny guy.

Why thank you.

Micah is in charge of staffing so you would have to see him. However he is 6 1/2 so not sure of his personnel policies.

A P&O ship has been on that site for about 7 years. It is not going to happen. Big companies do not offer their ships up for sale on the internet.

No idea where people in the market go to look for ships for sale but presumably they would know as there are not many cruise lines.

However Carnival has a history of selling off their older and obsolete ships so would not doubt that fantasy class ships will be sold in the near future.

No idea where people in the market go to look for ships for sale but presumably they would know as there are not many cruise lines.

However Carnival has a history of selling off their older and obsolete ships so would not doubt that fantasy class ships will be sold in the near future.

But not in an dodgy website for speculators.