9:45 am flight home - FLL?

LinVirginia

We always seem to have a lot of time to kill at FLL post our cruise exit. We have TSA clearance. Do you think it’s way too risky to book a 9:45 am flight getting off in the first group, and grabbing a porter and cab?

Edited by LinVirginia
misspelling

We always seem to have a lot of time to kill at FLL post our cruise exit. We have TSA clearance. Do you think it’s way too risky to book a 9:45 am flight getting off in the first group, and grabbing a porter and cab?

Even walking off with your luggage in the first group that’s cutting it pretty close, no time for any delays. Boarding time would be 9:15 [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd only book a flight that early if the ship was Allure or Harmony and I was doing self-assist disembarkation.

I agree. Allure and Harmony turn around their ships faster then anyone.

I would not book such an early flight if arriving on any other ship.

And always remember even with Allure and Harmony although the odds are low there is always a chance something can go wrong.

Keith

I've got my fingers crossed and am aiming for an 0930 flight out of FLL coming back from a cruise in early December on the Independence of the Seas. There appears to just be 2 ships coming in that morning, so I'm hoping if I self carry and go fast (and use my TSA PreCheck at the airport) that I will make it. We'll see.. if not - I guess I'll be missing work that night back in Maryland!

Thanks for you comments. My fears have been justified.

Which ship?

I've done self-assist on multiple ships and always been out VERY early. A 9:45AM flight would be pretty easy to make, I think. I'd almost prefer it to avoid the long hours sitting at the airport. The Port Everglades is next door to the airport. There is almost no transit time. You have PreCheck, right?

Depending on when your ship arrives - if it's a typical 6:15AM arrival, it's not unrealistic to think you could be sitting at the gate by 7:30AM.

We booked our flight for 1250 pm. There was an earlier flight, but I remember the last time we booked early and the first thing I thought of when I woke up was "I gotta get off this ship". It can cause stress when you think you will miss your flight. We watched people pushing and trying to get to customs ahead off everyone else. We had a nice final breakfast on the ship, went thru customs at our own pace, went to the airport and waited about 2 hours till our plane left. To each his own, but I didn't want to end a great vacation by stressing out over a flight.

I would not attempt this. Technically it is doable, but only in the perfect scenario. ie, your ship comes into port first, gets the first port service for baggage service and customs clearance etc. there are way too many reasons why this flight time will not work. even if you cant get another flight till later in the day, consider a day room somewhere, or a post cruise tour. Just my opinion, but no way would I book a flight after cruise at that time,

Here is my 2 cents.

I would try this only if there are no other flights before 3-4 pm-because this makes for a loooong wait.

The last day of the cruise I just want to get home

Or book a hotel and stay an extra day if time/budget allows.

Another reason to try to make the early flight is costs-if you are saving a bunch of $$$$ and that is important to you, than the little bit of stress in the morning is worth the savings IMO

I'm pondering this question as well. Two years ago we did self-assist and made it to FLL off of Liberty with more than enough time for a 10:45 flight, so I'm eyeing the 9:45 flight for our upcoming cruise in March. It is a significant price difference, so it is making it very tempting.

The next best option would be to take a redeye flight to FLL and grab the more expensive return flight at 1:55. And last options would be to fly in and out of PBI or stay an extra day (miss more school/work).

Does travel insurance usually include terms for missed flights? I'd be more willing to take this risk if I knew travel insurance would cover any potential costs for getting booked on a later flight if we miss the 9:45.

I'm pondering this question as well. Two years ago we did self-assist and made it to FLL off of Liberty with more than enough time for a 10:45 flight, so I'm eyeing the 9:45 flight for our upcoming cruise in March. It is a significant price difference, so it is making it very tempting.

The next best option would be to take a redeye flight to FLL and grab the more expensive return flight at 1:55. And last options would be to fly in and out of PBI or stay an extra day (miss more school/work).

Does travel insurance usually include terms for missed flights? I'd be more willing to take this risk if I knew travel insurance would cover any potential costs for getting booked on a later flight if we miss the 9:45.

I've always been home by 7:30AM, living 20 minutes west of FLL. We do self-disembark and we don't fight to be the first off the ship. Even out of Miami, we were home by 7:30AM and it's a much longer drive.

I haven't experienced a ship that arrives at 8AM, I guess it's a thing? Every ship I've been on seems to arrive around 6:00 - 6:30 or so, consistently. But if there is a possibility that your ship is much later, hopefully people here have that knowledge?

I've always been home by 7:30AM, living 20 minutes west of FLL. We do self-disembark and we don't fight to be the first off the ship. Even out of Miami, we were home by 7:30AM and it's a much longer drive.

I haven't experienced a ship that arrives at 8AM, I guess it's a thing? Every ship I've been on seems to arrive around 6:00 - 6:30 or so, consistently. But if there is a possibility that your ship is much later, hopefully people here have that knowledge?

Good info! If it was just me and the wife, we probably would have taken the chance....but with kids in tow, we ultimately chose an early afternoon flight.