Transportation to Southampton for the Independence - How do it go?

Lots of research has told me that there are various ways of getting to the ship for cruising to the Canaries.

I am wondering who among you paid for THE SHIP PROVIDED TRANSFER. Was it a bus or train and how did it go for you? What do they provide in reverse from ship to Heathrow Airport?

I have had this trip planned and then cancelled several times because I just have not decided if going out of Southampton is worth it. The Azores and Canaries are supposed to be more popular in the future and I sure wish cruise lines would leave from Barcelona or Copenhagen and bypass Southampton with the 70 miles (1 way) and expensive costs involved.

Appreciate all and any advice as I try to decide on 2018 plans. I would rather not try to get to port on my own as I am used to using the cruise line provided transfer. But open for suggestions I guess.

I've sailed twice from Southampton.

First time I was not sure how to get there from London and back, used the ship's transfer from Victoria station and back, and decided "once is enough". It was expensive, took a long time to get there, and then, on our way back, we had to leave the ship very early, only to wait on the bus for those who preferred to sleep some more. It was also very disorganized.

Second time (for a cruise to the Canaries), I've done my homework, and we used Smith for airports --

http://www.smithsairportcars.co.uk/

They were on time, took us from our hotel in London, and then back, directly to the airport.

Very competitive rates, reliable and polite. I can highly recommend this company.

We used International Friends to get from London to Southampton with a stop at Stonehenge and used the Royal Caribbean transfer aboard a bus for the trip to Heathrow after the cruise. We stopped at Westminster Castle on the way back. Highly recommend both of those !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having sailed from Southampton many times I have found the train from Waterloo is the easiest, fastest and cheapest, way to get to the port. If the ship is departing from City Terminal then it’s a 15 min walk

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We used National Express bus from London to Southampton when we were there in June. Very convenient. Looks like they travel from Heathrow to Southampton as well. Would highly recommend.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/Landing/route.aspx?to=Heathrow&from=Southampton

National Express is the cheapest way. IMHO the best way. The bus station is right at the airport.

National Express is the cheapest way. IMHO the best way. The bus station is right at the airport.

Not necessarily. Our group of 4 was able to hire a private car for the same as what 4 of us on National Express would have cost. Our driver was there waiting for us when we cleared customs at Heathrow. He also took us directly to our Southampton hotel. National Express would have dropped us off at the Southampton train station, if I recall correctly.

Sailed into Southampton on the QM2 recently. After spending a few days there we used smithsforairports.com for our trip to Heathrow. Excellent. Booked it online. They were on time and everything went smoothly. Highly recommend them.

Not necessarily. Our group of 4 was able to hire a private car for the same as what 4 of us on National Express would have cost. Our driver was there waiting for us when we cleared customs at Heathrow. He also took us directly to our Southampton hotel. National Express would have dropped us off at the Southampton train station, if I recall correctly.

Wow, we paid 88 pounds total for the 4 of us round trip. If you only paid $120 for 4 people round trip you got a fantastic deal.

We stopped at Westminster Castle on the way back. Highly recommend both of those !

I suspect you mean Windsor Castle?

There are numerous threads on this subject on the British Isles/Western Europe Ports of Call board ( we cover departures and arrivals, too [emoji846])

The major possibilities have been mentioned in this thread, but you will also find recommendations for other private hire companies, so you can get different quotes.

Lots of research has told me that there are various ways of getting to the ship for cruising to the Canaries.

I am wondering who among you paid for THE SHIP PROVIDED TRANSFER. Was it a bus or train and how did it go for you? What do they provide in reverse from ship to Heathrow Airport?

I have had this trip planned and then cancelled several times because I just have not decided if going out of Southampton is worth it. The Azores and Canaries are supposed to be more popular in the future and I sure wish cruise lines would leave from Barcelona or Copenhagen and bypass Southampton with the 70 miles (1 way) and expensive costs involved.

Appreciate all and any advice as I try to decide on 2018 plans. I would rather not try to get to port on my own as I am used to using the cruise line provided transfer. But open for suggestions I guess.

Bypassing Southampton may suit you. What about us UK cruisers who like to sail without having to fly?

Bypassing Southampton may suit you. What about us UK cruisers who like to sail without having to fly?

Good point and I was a bit confused by the original posters comment about 'bypassing' Southampton and sailing to the canaries from Copenhagen.

The airport in Copenhagen is close to the port so yes it's easy to join the ship there but sailing to the canaries from Copenhagen must mean another 1.5 - 2 days of sailing.

I can see the benefit of Copenhagen for Baltic cruises but struggling for the Azores and Canaries. Must be me, I must be missing something?

There are various ways of using public transport to get to Southampton. From Heathrow Airport there are direct coaches to Southampton. Coaches can be quite slow with traffic and stops. Trains are generally faster but from Heathrow would involve a number of changes and transferring across London on the Underground so could take longer. In my opinion public transport from Heathrow to Southampton is not much fun.

Getting from central London to Southampton is easier with both direct coaches and trains. Generally coaches depart from Victoria Coach Station and Southampton trains from Waterloo Station.

Make sure you go to the centre of Southampton and not Southampton Airport. From the centre of Southampton to the cruise terminal is a less than a £10 taxi journey. There are several cruise terminals in Southampton and your taxi drivers should know which your ship is using. In my experience taxis have always been available at the train station and cruise terminals. I would not walk with luggage from the centre of Southampton the cruise terminal. It is quite a way and the weather may not be good.

Could you fly to Southampton Airport. It is then a very short train ride to the centre Southampton. I am not sure where you are departing from.

If you could get a private car transfer or cruise ship coach transfer to your ship that may be the easiest if not necessarily cheapest option.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Edited by stephen@stoneyard.co.uk

Check out Cruise Critic - Port of Call - Britain a great place to ask questions.

You can use from LHR -

- National Express Coach http://www.nationalexpress.com direct from LHR to Southampton Coach station and a short taxi to the dock.

- International Friends only on embarkment and disembarkment days.

- ship transfers

- private car service

If staying in London,

- all the above

- train from Waterloo

We've taken National Express and have had a private car transfer to Southampton. I'd choose the private car, even if it does cost more. It was so nice having our driver waiting for us, after we picked up our luggage. After a long flight, it was good to just relax and be on our way. Private driver takes you to your hotel or port, if flying in the day of cruise.

With National Express, you have to make your way to the bus terminal and wait for your bus. Then it was a mad house getting on the bus. It's about a 10-15 minute walk, from where National Express lets you off, to the port. Not always easy with luggage but we've done it twice.

Edited by Little Buddy's Mom

I suspect you mean Windsor Castle?

There are numerous threads on this subject on the British Isles/Western Europe Ports of Call board ( we cover departures and arrivals, too [emoji846])

The major possibilities have been mentioned in this thread, but you will also find recommendations for other private hire companies, so you can get different quotes.

My bad! Of course you're right, sorry. We did thoroughly enjoy our time there, it's really gorgeous and we learned so much.