Are there outside dining areas on any Princess ships?

chris_kelowna

We did one Princess cruise a very long time ago and since then have done mostly Royal Caribbean. Most of those ships have lost their outside dining areas in favour of more suites. That outside dining is something I love and I regret the loss. Do any of the Princess ships have outside dining areas?

We did one Princess cruise a very long time ago and since then have done mostly Royal Caribbean. Most of those ships have lost their outside dining areas in favour of more suites. That outside dining is something I love and I regret the loss. Do any of the Princess ships have outside dining areas?

Yes - many have an area outside the buffet. There is also seating on the pool decks for the pizza/burger places.

All the Grand & Royal class ships have the Horizon Terrace and bar which is aft of the buffet section. These ships also have seating around the pool areas forward of the buffet area. The Royal Class ships have a more organized area forward of the buffet. There are no full service waiter served restaurants outdoors.

On the larger Grand-class ships (Caribbean, Crown, Emerald, Ruby) there are tables set up at the Lotus Pool area you can bring your food from the Horizon Court to dine at.

On the earlier generation Grand-class (Grand, Golden, Star, Diamond, Sapphire) that pool area is covered but some of those ships have outdoor seating to the aft of Horizon Court.

Of course there are tables in the Neptune's Pool area (uncovered on all the above ships) where the hamburger grill and pizza stand are located.

I can't answer about Royal/Regal Princess until next month when I finally try out the Royal.

But if your question was, does Princess have any full-service dining at outdoor tables, that would be a no.

On the Ruby, Grand, Golden, Crown and Diamond (and other sister ships) there are tables outside the Horizon Terrace that are there for eating. Not a whole lot, but they are there. I enjoy sitting out there in the morning with a coffee to watch the wake and sunrise. The tables are also close to the Outrigger Bar if you are so inclined. Weather permitting, it is a nice place to sit.

One negative to the dining tables outside the Horizon Court is that, at least on the Star Princess last month, the port side is a smoking area. Because there are so few smoking areas onboard, it was constantly filled with smokers and the smoke smell filled the whole area.

I’m an early bird, even on a cruise, and my most favorite thing is to get up early, get my breakfast from the Horizon Court, and then eat on the aft deck by the Outrigger and watch the wake.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On the Pacific there is outside seating at the Panorama Buffet - the tables and chairs since the last dry dock look very nice.

This is the best outdoor dining area of all of the ships in the Princess fleet. Plenty of seating, awesome aft views, nice new tables and chairs, and awnings that can be unfurled when needed.

Unless I missed something, all these responses refer to buffet "dining." I suspect what the OP had in mind was order-at-the-table, restaurant-style dining. And Princess really has nothing to offer here. Other cruise lines I've been on have the same problem.

Obviously there are problems with wind and weather, but it really would be a good thing to have outdoor dining on a cruise ship if they could engineer the weather protection. It's one of the aspects of river cruising that appeals to us.

Jim