How bad can it be?

starflyte1

How bad can a bad cabin be on a ship? Has anyone had a cabin that was really bad?

I have cruised a lot in cabins with either a balcony, or in the old days, a porthole, but wonder how bad bad can be?

My next two trips are in a Studio which equals an inside cabin.

There reason I ask is because I really like the idea of cruising, but to really do it a lot, I would look for some less expensive cabins.

We've been in inside cabins - we had a great cruise. Honestly, a smaller cabin encourages you to get out and about and take advantage of everything the ship has to offer.

We do enjoy balconies and this cruise we are dipping our toes into the Haven. Our decision to go Haven this time is more based on the service and Haven areas of the ship rather than the room though.

If it meant we could add another cruise to our year I would not hesitate to be in an inside room again.

I had a cabin forward on ship ...we hit every wave ...it was a tough ride plus I had a chainsmoking cigar smoker next door .The whole area was putrid compounded by rocking and rolling ...nausea was abundant ...the whole place reeked ....this in the days you could smoke outdoors but this man smoke inside too ...yuuuuuuuuuck ...... All that stench crept thru the vents

Yes Princess compensated me very generously ..they had the report

How bad can a bad cabin be on a ship? Has anyone had a cabin that was really bad?

I have cruised a lot in cabins with either a balcony, or in the old days, a porthole, but wonder how bad bad can be?

There reason I ask is because I really like the idea of cruising, but to really do it a lot, I would look for some less expensive cabins.

I had one that was horrible because it was right above the ship's laundry facilities and the hydraulic equipment operating below us woke us up several times each night. So I am fine with an inside cabin (depending on who I am sharing it with, we go bigger now that we sail with 2 kids) but i pay attention to location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only complaint I have with the studios is the location of the TV in relation to the bed. It is beside the bed instead of at the end so you have to sit sideways on the bed to watch it, but the bed is huge, so it is no big deal.

I've had all types of cabins and i enjoyed them all. I do a lot of cruising and take IS for great savings. I actually like them, they are so dark and quiet, i sleep great. Oceanview can make you susceptible to seasickness, you can't avoid looking out window and they are usually lower decks very close to the ocean swells.

While I love my balcony cabins, I have been “re-appreciating “ the inside cabin by default.

Last few cruises mom comes and books an inside. Layout is nice because of no worry of balcony doors. Most important is the rooms are COLDER!! No light/heat coming in at all from outside ship. I kept my blinds closed and her room always colder on 3 cruises.

Besides that location is important.

I do not want to be extreme forward (motion)or around noise. Ie below pool deck, showroom etc

My fave location is sandwiched between cabins slightly aft of aft elevators. Usually lifeboats are more forward so nice direct look down.

Happy planning

Kerri

I use to book only balcony cabins, but have only booked inside cabins for the past 3 years as a budget concession. If I still want to cruise on my retirement budget, I had to switch to inside cabins. I found that I don't miss the balcony as much as I thought I would. Don't get me wrong, I loved my balcony cabins, but I love cruising more, so to continue, inside cabins are my choice. For what little time I spend in my cabin, I don't have any issues with the inside cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, I guess, I have never had a bad cabin---except on my very first cruise on an old line that no longer exists. Hubby and I chose a cruise for our 25th anniversary back in 1995, and our cabin had 2 twin beds that were bolted to the floor--several feet apart! Lol!

Well, let’s see: One room vibrated all the time. One whistled until the balcony door was fixed. I’ve been awaken really early by clanging silverware (near the crew) and by the anchor chain. One had a very stinky couch. They ‘washed’ it and so we spent a day with a fan.

We had a cabin on an RCCL ship (Enchantment) the had what my wife referred to as a stripper pole at the end of the bed. The motion of the ship caused it to rub against the false ceiling and it squeaked like crazy the entire time the ship was underway. It took maintenance a couple days to finally solve the problem by stuffing thin rubber pieces between the pole and the ceiling. Needless to say there were a couple sleepless nights before it was fixed. What I didn't understand was why on one had complained about it before.

Agree that the location and the neighbors impact the cabin much more than the category. I’ve sailed in insides, obstructed view balconies, and balconies. My only requirement is that I want the cabin to be sandwiched between floors of cabins. So other cabins above and below it. Have never had an issue with noise. Now, bad neighbors can happen anywhere and there’s not much you can do about that. But you can avoid being above the theater or below the gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Another vote for location as opposed to category. Worst room that my wife and I have ever cruised in was a Haven room. Aft facing Haven on a Med cruise a couple of weeks ago. The room vibrated so much, and it was so loud, that it was miserable. Eventually we isolated the different things in the room that were vibrating loudly and wrapped them in towels. I'd have gladly taken an inside room over that, except for the Haven services because, well, they're amazing!

I’ve sailed inside GTY through Suites. Worst room I’ve had was a Spa Haven on Epic. The sun deck is directly above and roughly 6 AM every day I was awoke by employees dragging loungers across the decks, people running/stomping, etc. Will never do one below the pool/sun decks again.

Thanks for all the replies. Very interesting to me.

Has anyone ever booked the least expensive cabin on a cruise? I know that you could not pick a location, but is that any different than not having a cabin # when making reservations? Just thinking!

Agree that the location and the neighbors impact the cabin much more than the category. I’ve sailed in insides, obstructed view balconies, and balconies. My only requirement is that I want the cabin to be sandwiched between floors of cabins. So other cabins above and below it. Have never had an issue with noise. Now, bad neighbors can happen anywhere and there’s not much you can do about that. But you can avoid being above the theater or below the gym.

This is the way to go for us, book an inside midship. Never seemed worth the savings to go guarantee.

I have done a Studio twice and loved it both times. Just enough room for one. Best part of it is the private hallway that it is down....key entry....no "interlopers", and no kids running up and down the halls at 3am. the lounge area that is for the Studios is great also....easy grab of an espresso and a danish or a quick glass of wine from the wine dispensers.

Thanks for all the replies. Very interesting to me.

Has anyone ever booked the least expensive cabin on a cruise? I know that you could not pick a location, but is that any different than not having a cabin # when making reservations? Just thinking!

We have a few times and always wound up with a good cabin, once we got an ocean view.

We are from N.Y. and no matter what we do there is always light shining into our bedroom, so we enjoy the nighttime darkness of inside cabin

Safe sailing

I had a 14 day cruise thru the panama that was susposed to be an inside but we got a free upgrade to a port hole room. before we boarded me and my sister were happy. we ended up right above or close enough to a gang way that every morning before and a few leading up to we were woken up to banging nosies as the crew worked to get things ready. still had a good time but now I'm I look at where we are room wise and do what I can to stay away from nosy rooms.

we have a crusie coming up for Christmas and me and my sisters birthday and I'm realy trying to get an upgrade for our room as our current room is kinda close to the main theater.

I have stayed on inside cabin on a high floor like 11 and liked it. I was in the room with a toddler and it was great for naps because there No light. I have booked insides on lower floors like 5 and found them to be too noisy and creaky so I recommend booking on a high floor midship if possible.

Ive not booked a guarantee room before. As long as you pick your room you can choose a location that’s not near anything noisy. A guarantee is a gamble, could get a good low category cabin, could get a free upgrade to a higher category cabin, or could end up in that cabin that no one wanted to pick cause it had issues. It depends on your risk tolerance and comfort threshold. I am a very very light sleeper and a poor nights sleep will ruin my trip. So it’s worth paying extra and potentially sacrificing a free upgrade to pick a cabin that should be quiet. But plenty of people are perfectly happy taking the risk.

We had a cabin on 11 aft below the Garden Cafe, you could hear carts roiling along late at night and very early in the morning. You could also hear noise on the basketball court, the crew had a game every morning at sunup. For these situations I always carry ear plugs then any room is a great room as long as I’m on vacation.

We took a short cruise as part of our honeymoon 27 years ago, on a line that no longer exists. Our room was right next to an area where the crew would hang out between shifts, smoke, play loud music, etc. My husband had to go out several times and break it up. Thankfully it was only a 3 day cruise. We didn't cruise again for 15 years.

On our first cruise with NCL, we lucked into the owner's suite on the Sun. Not a "bad" cabin looks-wise or layout-wise for sure - but with its forward location, we felt every wave and were jolted awake whenever they put the anchor out; not to mention the chair scraping from the deck above. We still enjoyed the cruise but it was a lesson learned about cabin location!

Even a balcony can be bad. Our one and only time on a carnival ship we booked a cove balcony. It was on deck five, and only about 30 feet to the water. It was wonderful.... until every night at 2:30, when the forklift carrying the pallet of dirty silverware and pots and pans dropped it directly over our bed. Repeatedly, at 15 minute intervals, for about 2 hours.

I complained every morning. Guest services swore this had never happened before, and had no other complaints (we asked people on either side of us, and they had complained also and got the same story. They looked as tired and haggard as we felt). GS even sent someone down one night, who listened about 30 seconds, then said "Nope, all quiet" and left. 3 minutes later...BAM!. [emoji35]

Now I always confirm was is above, below and to the sides of our cabin.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app