First time upgrade fairy

tigger54

After 11 Carnival cruises in the last 4 years we finally got a email from the upgrade fairy. We booked a 7 day cruise on the Magic for April 2018. We justed booked a basic interior. Well we got an offer for a deluxe oceanview for a total of $70.00. We love the extra bathroom so pretty excited.

After 11 Carnival cruises in the last 4 years we finally got a email from the upgrade fairy. We booked a 7 day cruise on the Magic for April 2018. We justed booked a basic interior. Well we got an offer for a deluxe oceanview for a total of $70.00. We love the extra bathroom so pretty excited.

Which oceanview has an extra bathroom?

Lucky! This is my first cruise and I got a notice for an upgrade from an inside to ocean view for 122.00. Thanks but no thanks! Kept what I have. Especially since we paid almost 800.00 each already and now I see the price is under 600.00!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last month we were booked on the Magic. Saturday departure. At 5:45pm Friday evening we were in our hotel and we got an e-mail stating a upgrade was available for our sailing. Curiosity got to us, and at 5"55pm we called the # and the extension only to get a message " gone for the day, will return on Monday, please call back".

I kinda thought it was funny.

Its not to share knowledge...its meant to knock someones good news down because some are upset they no longer get "free" upgrades.

I am a seasoned traveler and have never expected a free upgrade --i fully expect to pay for a better room, seat, view etc. No matter how many times i have been with someone.

A simple congrats is nice.

I've most often seen these clarifications of terms given in polite, positive ways. I don't claim to interpret other peoples intentions from an innocuous statement of fact.

As a only half-seasoned traveler, I have received free upgrades. They are fewer these days than in the past but still offered for hotel rooms, cruise cabins, airline seats (especially for loyalty passengers).

On cruise critic, upgrading (self initiated)=may or may not have to pay more; "getting" an upgrade (offer)=free; upsell offer=will pay more.

Not a spoiler, long time Carnival cruisers here have enjoyed FREE upgrades in the past and still do from time to time. This is how the two terms came to be: when Carnival eased back on the complimentary upgrades they discovered people were willing to pay more to move to superior quarters. Hence the upgrade vs upsell came to be.

Former Carnival DOSM Bob Dickinson believed in rewarding guest loyalty with free upgrades. When Bob left a Carnival honcho came in and the upsell was born.

Agree. First evening of cruise last month received call in our cabin from hotel director and was upgraded from porthole room to junior suite. Cost $0

We were recently offered to upgrade from an interior cabin to an ocean view for $80. We turned it down due to the location of the ocean view cabin. Maybe next time!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

We got something similar. For $50.00 we could go all the way to the bottom and back of the ship. No thanks....

Laden2018...call your TA or Carnival and ask if you can get the lower price-usually they will take it off your final payment amount due or if final payment has been made, they will give you onboard credit! It does depend on what type of booking you made though....if it's early saver, you can get it up to 2 days before sailing!

hope this helps!

Marsha

Laden2018...call your TA or Carnival and ask if you can get the lower price-usually they will take it off your final payment amount due or if final payment has been made, they will give you onboard credit! It does depend on what type of booking you made though....if it's early saver, you can get it up to 2 days before sailing!

hope this helps!

Marsha

Thank you so much Marsha! I’m planning to call in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're sailing on cruise #8 on Sunday. We've gotten the upgrade fairy call on every cruise except one. A couple days ago we got a call for an offer to upgrade to a cove balcony for $300. We love the coves, but that wasn't a good enough price for us, as we love the darkness of an interior. Sometimes the offers are good, sometime they're not.

those are great rooms. i have stayed in them on the dream. just want to make sure you know that the extra bathroom does not have a toilet. it has a sink, a small sized bathtub that also has a shower head in it. they are great when everyone is trying to get ready for dinner.

those are great rooms. i have stayed in them on the dream. just want to make sure you know that the extra bathroom does not have a toilet. it has a sink, a small sized bathtub that also has a shower head in it. they are great when everyone is trying to get ready for dinner.

Wonder why they would offer a cabin with a second bathroom without toilet? Would prefer to can the tub and add toilet.:)