Verizon - sending and receiving texts

weloveourdoggie

If you are cruising with other people and want to be texting them, then Princess has an app

to enable you to do that. Also, Verizon does offer the $10.00 a day international travel,

but that will only be when in a port- otherwise, it will be VERY expensive!!!

If you are cruising with other people and want to be texting them, then Princess has an app

to enable you to do that. Also, Verizon does offer the $10.00 a day international travel,

but that will only be when in a port- otherwise, it will be VERY expensive!!!

Where do I get that app?

Be careful with Verizon. I recently pre-purchased a month international plan for Europe for $40 for text/data/voice and on return Verizon added $60 to my bill for the countries in which I used text. Discussion with Verizon agent: he first went to his "supervisor" to get that cut in half which I said was unsatisfactory, so then he went to his "manager" and the full charge was removed. Essentially, an effort by Verizon to add fees and costs to a bill hoping that it wouldn't be seen/challenged.

Where do I get that app?

It is a free intranet wi-fi program that enables you to send messages to other passengers on the ship. It also has on ship information. It can not be used in port. You get it by just logging in, see the internet manager after boarding.

To send messages via the internet you have to purchase mins. If your ship has installed the new Princessconnect system by the time you sail then you have to purchase a daily plan.

To use cell service on the ship is very expensive, something like $2.50/min, plus whatever charges Verizon adds. Text messages cost in the 50 cent range to send and receive plus the Verizon charges. Place your phone in airplane mode. If you leave your cell phone on in cell mode you will be charged for all the connect time.

The Verizon plan for International calling is Travel Pass. It costs $10/24 hour period that you use it. No charge to have it on your plan but you have to call them. Go to Verizon's website to find out the details. We used it one day in Italy. I had written down all the info as to how to make a call. No additional charges.

general comment about cruise/international travel: you need to make a distinction between post and prepaid. prepaid from verizon cannot be used (at least in canada) with that 10 dollar plan

i bought an att 40 dollar prepaid plan for canada and it was well worth it for the GPS directions and other internet features. and if you care about calling and texting people can be given your new phone number for the week

Travel Pass is not prepaid. It is an international service on your phone that you are charged ONLY if you use it. I just googled it and see that it is $5/day for Canada. With this service you get all your normal minutes, text and data. It is good in many countries although not all. Check it out.

Travel Pass is not prepaid. It is an international service on your phone that you are charged ONLY if you use it. I just googled it and see that it is $5/day for Canada. With this service you get all your normal minutes, text and data. It is good in many countries although not all. Check it out.

Verizon offers "International Calling" added to your existing plan for $40/month. Provides 100MB data/text/voice in addition to your plans data/minutes. Verizon decided to add "travel Pass" on top of "International Calling." One for the price of two. "Travel Pass" for one day in each Italy, Portugal and Croatia came to $60.

Verizon offers "International Calling" added to your existing plan for $40/month. Provides 100MB data/text/voice in addition to your plans data/minutes. Verizon decided to add "travel Pass" on top of "International Calling." One for the price of two. "Travel Pass" for one day in each Italy, Portugal and Croatia came to $60.

for the post paid this is ez as pie. but gf has prepaid so not an option sadly. just want to make clear to people it wont work on the prepaid plan so they dont get false hope like i did when i was reading through phone threads.

It is a free intranet wi-fi program that enables you to send messages to other passengers on the ship. It also has on ship information. It can not be used in port. You get it by just logging in, see the internet manager after boarding.

To send messages via the internet you have to purchase mins. If your ship has installed the new Princessconnect system by the time you sail then you have to purchase a daily plan.

To use cell service on the ship is very expensive, something like $2.50/min, plus whatever charges Verizon adds. Text messages cost in the 50 cent range to send and receive plus the Verizon charges. Place your phone in airplane mode. If you leave your cell phone on in cell mode you will be charged for all the connect time.

If you put your phone in airplane mode it becomes a paper weight. You cannot place or receive calls or texts.

- The big problem is most phones have many apps that are constantly talking to the net. You can get some very large data bills from this going on in the background.

- There are two ways to prevent large bills.

1. You can put your phone in airplane mode and then turn on wifi (if available).

2. You can "turn data off". You will still be able to place/receive calls and texts but you will not incur data bills from all your apps accessing the network. You can control charges from calls and texts by only answering important calls/texts.

An exception would be any phones used by your children. Locking those is the only sure-fire way to prevent massive charges from their social networks.

There is a $40 monthly plan and there is a daily plan (but only if you use it). Two separate plans. I have Travel Pass on my phone and used it one day in Italy. Charged $10.

We went on a January 2017 cruise on the Crown Princess and these were the Verizon cruise ship rates at the time.

$2.99/minute voice

$20/mb data

$0.50/message sent

$0.05/message received

$0.25/MMS message sent (text with photo/video)

$0.25/MMS message received (text with photo/video)

This is SMS texting, not iMessage which uses data and would be VERY expense. For example one photo could easily be 2MB in size which would cost you $40 to send via iMessage. You don't even want to turn on your cellular data while on board. If you blow it once you will potentially have a huge bill.

Depends on your needs but as others have noted the $10/24hr Travel Pass from Verizon really worked well for me. Decent speed, could live with accessing texts and calls while in port. Of course as also noted, doesn't work with prepaid phones.

So for me airplane mode and turn back on Wifi to access the ships intranet and ships internet plans. Check our Email with the free minutes you get. When in port the travelpass late in one port and early in the next port and it's the same 24hrs so only one $10 charge.

There is a $40 monthly plan and there is a daily plan (but only if you use it). Two separate plans. I have Travel Pass on my phone and used it one day in Italy. Charged $10.

There are two plans, but they both may not be available to you. It depends on your current plan with Verizon.

The $10 a day travel plan is not available, if you are on one of the older grandfathered unlimited plans.

I have Verizon and I just turned off my data. Never thought of using airplane mode and turning WiFi on. Sounds like pretty much the same.

In each Caribbean port, I would get a text offering me some daily rate of around $10 to use my phone there. I never needed to, so I didn't try it.

I just used my phone for the free Princess@Sea web tool.

I have Verizon and I just turned off my data. Never thought of using airplane mode and turning WiFi on. Sounds like pretty much the same.

The difference between airplane mode w/wifi on, and mobile data off is that you

will be able to receive cell voice and SMS with data off.

This could be good if you want it, or bad if you get charged for text/calls.

If you put your phone in airplane mode it becomes a paper weight. You cannot place or receive calls or texts.

- The big problem is most phones have many apps that are constantly talking to the net. You can get some very large data bills from this going on in the background.

- There are two ways to prevent large bills.

3rd way to prevent large bills is have tracfone. there's no service outside USA so totally impossible to get any large roaming bills ;)