Deck 8 cabins on a Viking Ocean ship: noisy?

CarpeDiem2

16 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

There are only 10 cabins on the 8001 corridor, and absolutely no advantage for anyone else to use that corridor, so the use of the door is very infrequent.

Thanks, good to know, but still happy I moved out of that end cabin.  I tried to move further down the hallway on deck 8, away from that outside door, but they were all booked.  

Edited by island lady

1 hour ago, Murt22 said:

Thanks for the info. We will be on Orion next week in 8004. I had thought we could get into the Explorer's lounge from that hallway and assume it isn't a busy thoroughfare. Hope we like the cabin as we booked it for next year's 3 week European trip. I hadn't thought of trying to get through the doors with drinks...hmmm maybe need to rethink that.

Not much to the upper lounge on Orion - used up by the silly theater.

We’ve been in both 8000 and 8001 several times.  We really like the location and its proximity to the Explorers Lounge. It’s like having the EL as your living room. 

Neither of these cabins were ever categorized as handicapped and there weren’t any problems with door slamming or overhead noise in either cabin. However, on one cruise we had 8010 because the cabin that we booked had maintenance issues. There was a very noticeable noise problem from the sports deck above. 

in regards to the “secret door”, I believe that is in reference to deck 7, not deck 8. The doors to the EL on deck 8 are perfectly obvious, not secret. They are used pretty much only by people with cabins on deck 8. 

4 hours ago, millybess said:

We’ve been in both 8000 and 8001 several times.  We really like the location and its proximity to the Explorers Lounge. It’s like having the EL as your living room. 

Neither of these cabins were ever categorized as handicapped and there weren’t any problems with door slamming or overhead noise in either cabin. However, on one cruise we had 8010 because the cabin that we booked had maintenance issues. There was a very noticeable noise problem from the sports deck above. 

in regards to the “secret door”, I believe that is in reference to deck 7, not deck 8. The doors to the EL on deck 8 are perfectly obvious, not secret. They are used pretty much only by people with cabins on deck 8. 

I think they are secret in the sense they aren't marked at all, from the corridor. And they are always shut. In the Explorer lounge there is a sign each side, referencing access to the cabins port and starboard. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are enjoying people giving us a weird look when we jump up and leave through that door. You can hear the ping pong games if you are sitting on your balconey - but small price to pay for getting to sit on the balconey in the sun in Alaska!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, moatenote said:

We were in 8004 for the Alaska cruise in July and loved it.  Very quiet and short walk to upper deck of EL.  We also have it booked for our next 2 cruises.

We are there now in our Alaska cruise and booked it for next years Mediterranean cruise. Only problem is loud neighbors on the balcony who are more interested in conversation than enjoying the beautiful scenic nature.