What to do if we do miss the sailing?

GE Mom

GE Mom

I would contact the big box agency and insist they absorb the change fee - ask for a management person. The booking agent must have been a "newbie" and made 2 very serious mistakes. First was booking you with such a late arrival so close to sailing time. Second was booking you to Miami when cruise leaves from FLL. They obviously didn't know the difference. You can always threaten to have the credit card company to stop the payment. You should not have to pay for their error.

Yeah, I think we'll have to change the flights. We've always come in the day before when we booked our own flights, but don't the cruiselines bring you in on early flights the same day?

But you didn't book this travel/trip with the cruise line. You booked it with Costco. Make your phone calls and try to get what you can refunded .... but it does seem necessary to change your flight to the day prior. JMO, also.

Yeah, I think we'll have to change the flights. We've always come in the day before when we booked our own flights, but don't the cruiselines bring you in on early flights the same day?

And, to make matters worse, why Miami? That is not the closest airport, and it just makes your schedule more iffy. If you really want to take this cruise, you would be wise to change your flight schedule.

We booked the Alaskan cruise we took last month with the $1.50 hot dog combo big box store TA (naming TA's is not allowed) and they are very easy to work with. If you booked both cruise and flight with them, I would definitely raise a stink. If you booked them separately, you might be on your own......

Wow, flying in the day and in winter? You are braver than I.

Yes, back in 1988? I flew in on the day of the sailing. Thankfully there were a bunch of us on the plane that were going and the ship waited (don't count on that ;) )I was panicked the whole time between late this and late that and I will NEVER do it again. My choice back then as I thought that was how it went. Ships don't wait often, but there were enough of us back in those days (I'm talking 30 years) that they did.

I would be more concerned about snow storms than other issues. And if it were me, subject to lots of storms and IF I were going at that time, I'd plan on at least two days out. One storm can muck a lot of things up and it takes time to get a replacement flight.

It's a weird year with all that is going on. Don't count on the past and remember that nature does strange things. JMO though ;)

Chicago could be dry as a b one but the aircraft that was scheduled for your flight could be on the ground in NYC or Boston and not going znzywhere until their blizzard is cleaned up.

Airlines juggle the equiement around when one airport or another hzs snow and or ice storm.... you plane might not get to Chicago to pick you up.

Glad you changed your flights!

And something I have learned about Florida airports and weather since I have moved here (an hour north of Tampa): everyone worries about the weather at their home airport. No one is aware of the wonky weather patterns of the Florida peninsula where weather is affected daily by the shore breezes from two different coasts moving across the state and meeting somewhere over the state or the effects of the warm moist air from the south meeting with the the air from the north.

We can have lines of storms that move across the state (side to side, top to bottom, bottom to top) anytime of the year. If those storms have lighting, the airport will be closed until the closest lighting strike is a known distance from the runways. The closure is for the protection of ground personnel.

That can mean flights are diverted to other Florida airports or held in the originating city. It can make a mess of schedules and can happen any time of year or day.

I have learned to cross my fingers that any flight I take out of Tampa leaves somewhat on time as I have been caught in long delays due to weather.

I don't trust Chicago weather in February, March or April. We've gotten freak snowstorms when I was on Spring break or before Easter. On the other hand we could have a dry late winter. Safe travels.

Thanks for the thoughts.

We booked this cruise through Costco Travel, and I actually thought we were purchasing the cruiseline travel. And we're aware that generally the cruiselines bring you in the same day, so I didn't think much of it. It was only after the booking was complete that I reviewed the schedule and realized we'd actually purchased independent travel. That's when I got concerned.

And, yes, this is out of Chicago O'Hare in late February. Although snow is not unlikely at this time, our really big storms that close the airport are generally earlier in the winter.

So I think our choices are: cross our fingers and hope for the best, or pay the change fee and come in the day before. I am hoping to hear from someone who has actually faced this problem, and can share what happened.

GE Mom

I would contact the big box agency and insist they absorb the change fee - ask for a management person. The booking agent must have been a "newbie" and made 2 very serious mistakes. First was booking you with such a late arrival so close to sailing time. Second was booking you to Miami when cruise leaves from FLL. They obviously didn't know the difference. You can always threaten to have the credit card company to stop the payment. You should not have to pay for their error.

Although "off topic" I totally disagree. These arrangements were not made in a vacuum and GE would have had to authorize them. Because you accept "Bad Advice" doesn't give you the right to financial compensation when you realize you've done that.

As with ANY travel, I make sure all travel and connections are within MY level of comfort and not simply because someone says so. I was looking at flights to FLL the other day and the airline was showing me a 40 minute connection in Atlanta. Even though that is a Legal connection I know better than to accept that.

To GE, good idea to change the flights. While you may have been OK, the downside if you missed the ship would have been ugly and much more $$$ than the change fee for your flights. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by RickT

Okay, thanks for your thoughts and advice. I did change the flights ($$$ Ouch!), and will make sure I never make this mistake again.

Good move, IMO. Hopefully, all will go smoothly and you enjoy a truly wonderful cruise.