Mariner Discount

We are three star Mariners, and as such we get a 25% discount on specialty dining as many of you know. We are planning a cruise with some friends next year, and I’m wondering if I make the reservations for the four of us, will our discount apply to all four of us? Our friends are new to HAL so they really have no perks available to them. Thanks for your help!

We are three star Mariners, and as such we get a 25% discount on specialty dining as many of you know. We are planning a cruise with some friends next year, and I’m wondering if I make the reservations for the four of us, will our discount apply to all four of us? Our friends are new to HAL so they really have no perks available to them. Thanks for your help!

Everytime we entertained others in Pinnacle or Tamarind, we got our discount for all persons at the table, no mattter their Mariner level. We never askedfor it and didn't have to. We simply made the reservation and they autuomatically applied the discount for us all. This was on a number of ships.,

The FAQs say:

14. Can I extend my benefits (such as the 25% or 50% discount at select food and beverage outlets) to shipmates?

No. Benefits are intended for the personal use of the applicable guest and those sharing a stateroom with the guest on the same booking number. Not applicable to groups. Holland America Line reserves the right to limit benefits if necessary.

However, only once (in the N.A. Tamarind in 2010) was I not given the discount for our guests. Every time since then they have ignored the written rule.

The FAQs say:

14. Can I extend my benefits (such as the 25% or 50% discount at select food and beverage outlets) to shipmates?

No. Benefits are intended for the personal use of the applicable guest and those sharing a stateroom with the guest on the same booking number. Not applicable to groups. Holland America Line reserves the right to limit benefits if necessary.

However, only once (in the N.A. Tamarind in 2010) was I not given the discount for our guests. Every time since then they have ignored the written rule.

Lets be real here.lf a three star mariner, five star mariner etc makes a Pinnacle reservation for 4 people. The reservaftion is in that mariners' name and cabin number. uNLEss yorf guestt has gone many times to that Pinnaldce and is known in the restaurant, how can those who workin Pinnalce know who your guests are a nd what level Mariner they are? All they know is who YOU are and your level Mariner? TTehy would have to exceed rude rules to the m maximum if they inquired. They won't. Thus, they have always given us the discontt for all persons at the table for whom we made the reservation.

Edited by sail7seas

The FAQs say: 14. Can I extend my benefits (such as the 25% or 50% discount at select food and beverage outlets) to shipmates?

Lets be real here.l Ifd a three tar mariner, five star mariner makes a Pinnacle reservation for 4 people. The reservaftion is in thatg mariners' name and cabin number. uNLEss yourf guestt has gone many times to that Pinnaldce and is known in the restaurant, how can those who workin Pinnalce know who your guests arew a nd what level Mariner they are? AlL the know is who YOU are and your level Mariner? TTehy would have to sceed rude rules tro the m maximum if they inquired. They won't. Thus, they have always givern us the discountt for all persons at the table when we made the reservation.

Lets be real here.l Ifd a three tar mariner, five star mariner makes a Pinnacle reservation for 4 people. The reservaftion is in thatg mariners' name and cabin number. uNLEss yourf guestt has gone many times to that Pinnaldce and is known in the restaurant, how can those who workin Pinnalce know who your guests arew a nd what level Mariner they are? AlL the know is who YOU are and your level Mariner? TTehy would have to sceed rude rules tro the m maximum if they inquired. They won't. Thus, they have always givern us the discountt for all persons at the table when we made the reservation.

Spot on, sail7seas!!! (y)(y)(y)

Our experience mirrors yours 100%

Smooth sailing $ $ $

... how can those who workin Pinnalce know who your guests arew a nd what level Mariner they are? AlL the know is who YOU are and your level Mariner?
In the N.A. Tamarind in Sep 2010 they knew somehow that our guests were zero star (their first cruise on any line). I had booked the dinner for four on-line and paid the full price. When I gave the waitress my key card showing me as 3* to pay for the wine, I asked when/how I would get the discount. She came back and said she could either (a) leave it as no discount for all four, or (b) refund the full amount to my account and bill each of our rooms separately, giving us the discount but not them. I chose (a)

Since then, each time I have pre-booked the Tamarind for four (with 1-star guests) on either the N.A. or E-dam the "Loyalty discount" for all four has been posted to my account on the first or second day. Apparently they decided that enforcing rule 14 caused too much trouble.

Sorry I brought this up! I only mentioned it IN CASE someone else pointed out what rule 14 said. :D

Our experience mirrors yours 100%
Mine doesn't. Edited by jtl513

In the N.A. Tamarind in Sep 2010 they knew somehow that our guests were zero star (their first cruise on any line). I had booked the dinner for four on-line and paid the full price. After dinner I gave the waitress my key card showing me as 3* to pay for the wine, and asked when/how I would get the discount. She came back and said she could either (a) leave it as no discount for all four, or (b) refund the full amount to my account and bill each of our rooms separately, giving us the discount but not them. I chose (a)

Since then, each time I have pre-booked the Tamarind for four (with 1-star guests) on either the N.A. or E-dam the "Loyalty discount" for all four has been posted to my account on the first or second day. Apparently they decided that enforcing rule 14 caused too much trouble.

Sorry I brought this up! I only mentioned it IN CASE someone else pointed out what rule 14 said. :D

Mine doesn't.

I'm glad you brougt it up, :) it is good to know what other people experiecne. We all know HAL is not always as consisent as we would like.

Mine doesn't.

Mine hasn't always, either.

As a 5-star Mariner I am entitled to two free dinners in the Pinnacle. On one short cruise I invited a 4-star guest on my only visit there, expecting he would be using my second free dinner.

I got the rebate for mine in full, and for half of his.

Guess I should have eaten there one time earlier in the week, too.

:p

Mine hasn't always, either.

As a 5-star Mariner I am entitled to two free dinners in the Pinnacle. On one short cruise I invited a 4-star guest on my only visit there, expecting he would be using my second free dinner.

I got the rebate for mine in full, and for half of his.

Guess I should have eaten there one time earlier in the week, too.

My friend and I had such an awful experience in Pinnacle on Veendam, I never used either of my two free dinners. I rather waste it than have a nother very bad expeience.like tthe one time we went, Free is worth nothing, IMO if it is inferior and of no enjoyment.

In addition to poor service and atttitude, the food was not good. I wasted the whole steak.

Last month I pre-paid for 4 people in the Tamarind on the N.A.. On my bill the next day I got a 50% refund for all four of us (other couple was 1 star, I am 4.)

That is how it always worked for us.

Last month I pre-paid for 4 people in the Tamarind on the N.A.. On my bill the next day I got a 50% refund for all four of us (other couple was 1 star, I am 4.)

I did the same on the Rotterdam and got the same discount.

Actually on the Westerdam, they were easier on the 5* benefit that year ;).

But I quickly found out that is not the same throughout the fleet ;)

All right -- let me understand this -- you booked the Tamarind last month for 4 people. Were you on the ship? I ask this as you mentioned that the next day you got the 50% discount for all 4 of you.

All right -- let me understand this -- you booked the Tamarind last month for 4 people. Were you on the ship? I ask this as you mentioned that the next day you got the 50% discount for all 4 of you.

I made the reservation and paid for it (the entire amount of $100) a month prior to sailing. Had the dinner and then the next day I checked my cabin statement and the 50% was credited to my account as a Loyalty discount.

I made the reservation and paid for it (the entire amount of $100) a month prior to sailing. Had the dinner and then the next day I checked my cabin statement and the 50% was credited to my account as a Loyalty discount.

And this has been our experience ever since we achieved 4-Star status. We have never been asked the Star status of our dinner guests, and thus the 50% discount has been applied to the full price of the dinner which we booked well in advance of our cruise. Easy, peasy!

Smooth sailing :) :) :)

And this has been our experience ever since we achieved 4-Star status. We have never been asked the Star status of our dinner guests, and thus the 50% discount has been applied to the full price of the dinner which we booked well in advance of our cruise. Easy, peasy!

Smooth sailing :) :) :)

This has been my experience as well. I have booked, and paid, well in advance as many as 10 Pinnacle dinners for a group sitting. For all 10 I received my 4* discount and no one ever asked the loyalty level of any of my guests.

For them to inquire from you, in front of your guests,, what is their mariner level or even worse toa sk them, would be over the top unacceptable and ignnorant.... certainly not 'hospitable or respectful to t the party dining in their restaurant, but that is all moot, as to my knowledge, they have not done that,

For all 10 I received my 4* discount and no one ever asked the loyalty level of any of my guests.
And I'll bet if you called HAL to ask they would tell you can't do that! :D In my 9/2010 experience the N.A. was less than 3 months old, with a lot of new staff, and were probably "going by the book".

In thinking about how they could have known that our guests were "zero star", it might have been because I had booked both cabins (they were DB & DSiL) and linked the reservations for the MDR.

When you booked the dinner for 10, did they ask for names and send them reminder "invitations" on board, or just you?

And I'll bet if you called HAL to ask they would tell you can't do that! :D In my 9/2010 experience the N.A. was less than 3 months old, with a lot of new staff, and were probably "going by the book".

In thinking about how they could have known that our guests were "zero star", it might have been because I had booked both cabins (they were DB & DSiL) and linked the reservations for dining.

When you booked the dinner for 10, did they ask for names and send them reminder "invitations" on board, or just you?

When I booked the dinner for 10 I did not provide any information other than I would have 9 guests. On another cruise I set up a dinner for 12 and paid for 5 with the other 7 paying various ways. All done via a call to ships services.

When I booked the dinner for 10 I did not provide any information other than I would have 9 guests. On another cruise I set up a dinner for 12 and paid for 5 with the other 7 paying various ways. All done via a call to ships services.
I'd say it's high time to correct the FAQs!

And I'll bet if you called HAL to ask they would tell you can't do that! :D ...

How much are you willing to wager on that? Whatever the amount, I'll take your bet because I have, in fact, called HAL (to make PG reservations for a group diner) and was told that, since I was hosting the dinner and paying for it, my Mariner 4-Star discount would be applied to the entire dinner and credited to my account on board after the dinner.

IMO a bet less than $20 is not worth making, so I'm looking forward to receiving my winnings of not less than $20 - you can pick the amount. Please post your e-mail address on here so I can send you my mailing address.

Thanks for making CC a profitable venture for me.