A Religious matter

deeko

To date, on the longer cruises (Grand Voyages and maybe some others) HAL has a minister, plus a Priest. On Grand Voyages which include the Holidays seasons they usually have a rabbi for Jewish holidays as well. (Years ago as I recall, there was a Priest and Protestant Minister on almost all cruises.) As my last "longer" cruise was in the summer/fall of 2016, reading subsequent posts things may have changed in 2017.

As mentioned on CC by a priest member, some Catholic priests do an occasional non-denominational service in addition to the Catholic Masses, but not all do. I have also know some non-Catholic passengers who go to an occasional Mass, just quietly sitting in the back of the room. For some this is valuable.

Now - I am sure some will tell you I am wrong, and I may be - but I am only relaying what I remember from numerous cruises over the past years.

I do remember a wonderful experience on the Asia-Pacific Grand Voyage cruise in the late 1990s. Great Priest (retired bishop I believe), a Great Rabbi (what a wonderful speaker) and a most friendly Minister took turns giving a talk each Sea Day about some aspect of the beliefs of their "church". Then on some Sea days they had a panel like presentation where they interacted about some aspect of all "belief) from the perspective of their "group", where each had a somewhat different perspective on an historical or biblical "story", "fact", or "issue", whatever you choose to call it. These discussions were fascinating to many passengers. Never seen this again onboard.

Edited by wander
Information in subsequent posts

Thank you all for your thoughts. They have all been very helpful and very instructive.

I was implying no fault on the part of HAL simply wondering how things worked. The post re funding was very helpful.

I have been to Taize and appreciate its origins and style.

I agree that we do not always need someone ordained to officiate and certainly I have appreciated and learned from attending Mass.

I appreciate the thoughtful way in which so many viewpoints were expressed. The very word "religion" can be a catalyst for ill feeling.

That was certainly not my intention in asking my original question. Thank you all for the manner of your replies.

Cruising is a wonderful opportunity to meet so many different people and ideas......so is CC!!

Thank you all

Deeko

We sailed with a couple who were Jewish, over Chanukah/Hanukkah. There was a room set aside with the observant passengers conducting the services. (Is "service" the correct term? Observance?)

“Observance” would be the more correct term. Hanukkah, like Christmas, is a joyous holiday and can be “celebrated” by anyone. No Rabbi required. In fact you don’t even have to be Jewish. After all, I attend the Christmas celebrations after I’m finished with Hanukkah. I’ve been on four or five Cruises when space on the ship was allocated for the celebration.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To date, on the longer cruises (Grand Voyages and maybe some others) HAL has a minister, plus a Priest. On Grand Voyages which include the Holidays seasons they usually have a rabbi for Jewish holidays as well. (Years ago as I recall, there was a Priest and Protestant Minister on almost all cruises.) As my last "longer" cruise was in the summer/fall of 2016, reading subsequent posts things may have changed in 2017.

As mentioned on CC by a priest member, some Catholic priests do an occasional non-denominational service in addition to the Catholic Masses, but not all do. I have also know some non-Catholic passengers who go to an occasional Mass, just quietly sitting in the back of the room. For some this is valuable.

Now - I am sure some will tell you I am wrong, and I may be - but I am only relaying what I remember from numerous cruises over the past years.

I do remember a wonderful experience on the Asia-Pacific Grand Voyage cruise in the late 1990s. Great Priest (retired bishop I believe), a Great Rabbi (what a wonderful speaker) and a most friendly Minister took turns giving a talk each Sea Day about some aspect of the beliefs of their "church". Then on some Sea days they had a panel like presentation where they interacted about some aspect of all "belief) from the perspective of their "group", where each had a somewhat different perspective on an historical or biblical "story", "fact", or "issue", whatever you choose to call it. These discussions were fascinating to many passengers. Never seen this again onboard.

Thank you for reminding me of how good it can be to interact with the leaders of different faiths. On one Grand Asia, the Rabbi and his wife were neighbors across the hall. On a later cruise he led discussions where both he and his wife shared historical facts and expressed wise opinions. Met a fine Priest in one cruise ship elevator. Had good conversations throughout the cruise with him. For me, the Protestant Ministers are good sounding boards for current changes in churches.

Our VOV was maybe too port intensive to even meet the Priest aboard.

Barbara

You say there was no Protestant Pastor but t here were two superb Pro testant ministers. Confusing :confused: Could not the two superb M Inisters provide for the spiritual needs of their 'flock ? I am sorry to not understand. I get your point as to the Rabbi though , I am not sur e when vIiking ended but I suspect it could have been on or near the JEWISH High holydays of Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashonah . If the cruise was still going on those days, it would have been good to have a Rabbi.

I think it’s unlikely that observant Jews would be on a cruise vacation during high holidays (Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur). It would also be unlikely to find a Rabbi available to cruise during that time. Any Jewish passengers cruising during the high holidays are not the type to attend services. I am not being judgemental. There is nothing wrong with being non-observant. Just saying, why hire a rabbi to do a service when it’s not likely many will attend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it’s unlikely that observant Jews would be on a cruise vacation during high holidays (Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur). It would also be unlikely to find a Rabbi available to cruise during that time. Any Jewish passengers cruising during the high holidays are not the type to attend services. I am not being judgemental. There is nothing wrong with being non-observant. Just saying, why hire a rabbi to do a service when it’s not likely many will attend.

That is a rather broad statement that allows for no reasonable excepetions, is not accuratate and reads as quite judgemental. to my 'eyes'

Edited by sail7seas

Really? I have sailed in that time frame and, not only were there a fair number of Jewish passengers, there was also a Rabbi on board.

That is a rather broad statement that allows for no reasonable excepetions, is not accuratate and reads as quite judgemental. to my 'eyes'

The High Holidays are rather sacred to many Jews (both observant and “not so observant” of which I fall in the second category) I was only commenting that in my experience not many Jews would choose that time for vacation travel. Those that do may not be interested in attending religious services, but perhaps I’m wrong. I really wasn’t being judgmental. It seems you are of my comment and I am curious as to what would constitute a “reasonable exception”.

Really? I have sailed in that time frame and, not only were there a fair number of Jewish passengers, there was also a Rabbi on board.

I have never cruised during the High Holidays so I had no idea. I stand corrected. Hope that you, the Rabbi and everyone else on board had a wonderful cruise.

Thank you all for your thoughts. They have all been very helpful and very instructive.

I was implying no fault on the part of HAL simply wondering how things worked. The post re funding was very helpful.

I agree that we do not always need someone ordained to officiate and certainly I have appreciated and learned from attending Mass.

I appreciate the thoughtful way in which so many viewpoints were expressed. The very word "religion" can be a catalyst for ill feeling.

That was certainly not my intention in asking my original question. Thank you all for the manner of your replies.

Cruising is a wonderful opportunity to meet so many different people and ideas......so is CC!!

Thank you all

Deeko

Deeko,

Just wondering if you post in your roll call if there is any Christians on board and you all can have your one devotional time on board... if you have a bunch of Christians you all can learn from one another. [emoji4]

Thank you all

Deeko

I just got back from shopping. Sorry that my post was confusing.

Our 38-day Voyage of the Vikings was from Aug 2 to Sept 9.

The two superb Protestant ministers were fellow passengers. HAL did provide a room, hymnals, and keyboard for Sunday services.

In 2016 there was a Protestant minister on the VOV. Ours was a first for this change. I really felt abandoned by HAL, and they know it. According to the daily program, Protestant and Jewish services were "led by congregation". Catholic Mass was sometimes twice a day.

Thank you, Avian 777, for letting us know that Catholics pay to make sure that a Catholic Priest is aboard. I feel better now.

Barbara

You are most welcome!

Smooth sailing t t t

Pardon me. I'm Jewish and have frequently sailed in September (see my signature). During the High Holy Days Holland America has ALWAYS provided a rabbi and a venue for services. I have always noted them to be well-attended by both me and all of the other "Jewish passengers cruising during the high holidays" who are "not the type to attend services". And you do sound QUITE judgmental.

Pardon me. I'm Jewish and have frequently sailed in September (see my signature). During the High Holy Days Holland America has ALWAYS provided a rabbi and a venue for services. I have always noted them to be well-attended by both me and all of the other "Jewish passengers cruising during the high holidays" who are "not the type to attend services". And you do sound QUITE judgmental.

I am not Jewish but I do have friends that are. I did take note of the services/observances as I said earlier. What I like from HAL is that they had everything needed for the observances.

Very nice touch IMO. All you have to do is show up, everything is there.

HAL has not changed in that a Rabbi is available in High Holy holidays. May it long continue!

It seems that I am mistaken. It’s very nice that HAL offers High Holiday services. Sounds like a wonderful way to observe Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. I’m sorry I offended you. I am not at all judgemental but you do sound QUITE sensitive.

Hello to all CC readers.

CC is always a mine of information and also throws up things I hadn't even thought of.

I read on another thread that daily Mass was provided. That is an important matter to many people.

I wonder if provision is made for other Christian denominations, eg an ecumenical service for those who are not Roman Catholics.

Just a genuine question.

Thanks again to all responders.

Deeko

Holland America is booking guest ministers now for the Grand and Grand World itineraries, as well as selected Holiday cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

BCUMMIN,

Glad my post brought back good memories for you.

In addition the to cruise I wrote about, on another one (I believe it was on a segment of a Grand WC) the Rabbi arranged with the Hotel Manager to have a section of the MDR reserved one evening for passengers who made a reservation for a full Seder on a Friday evening. As I recall, over 150 passengers attended. (No additional charge for us as it replaced our traditional dinner.) It was intended for BOTH Jewish passengers and any others interested in attending, participating and learning. Each step of the meal was explained, what each food represented, etc. His wife took on the role of the "mother/wife" of the home and the Seder service, Many "courses", food and beverages. It was quite long but very interesting for most all who attended. An out-of- the- ordinary cruise experience.

BCUMMIN,

Glad my post brought back good memories for you.

In addition the to cruise I wrote about, on another one (I believe it was on a segment of a Grand WC) the Rabbi arranged with the Hotel Manager to have a section of the MDR reserved one evening for passengers who made a reservation for a full Seder on a Friday evening. As I recall, over 150 passengers attended. (No additional charge for us as it replaced our traditional dinner.) It was intended for BOTH Jewish passengers and any others interested in attending, participating and learning. Each step of the meal was explained, what each food represented, etc. His wife took on the role of the "mother/wife" of the home and the Seder service, Many "courses", food and beverages. It was quite long but very interesting for most all who attended. An out-of- the- ordinary cruise experience.

I would find that fascinating as well as educational! (I am Anglican.) I have a strong belief, as I am sure a great many travelers do, that the more exposure you have to other cultures, the more understanding of others you become. I would have jumped at that opportunity.

We have been fortunate to have had followers of Protestant (various), Catholic, Jewish, and Orthodox Christian faiths in our immediate family. Make for interesting services-wedding, christening, special holiday events,etc. We would jump at the chance to attend a full Seder on boars.

Edited by iancal

We have been fortunate to have had followers of Protestant (various), Catholic, Jewish, and Orthodox Christian faiths in our immediate family. Make for interesting services-wedding, christening, special holiday events,etc. We would jump at the chance to attend a full Seder on boars.

I also would jump at the opportunity to learn as much as I could.

Ignoring the interesting typo error (boars are pigs and we Jews do not eat pork), I do have a bit of a problem w the statement I highlighted although I may be over reacting. We sometimes invite friends to our Seders because they are friends and not because we want to teach them about our religion or because we want to provide an experience for them. This and the subsequent post on CC sort of sounds like a "wouldn't it be cool experience to do a Seder as long as I am on a cruise and I have the time to experience a Jewish experience" statement. This is probably not what was meant but this what it sounds like to me.

If a whole bunch of other passengers invited themselves to our Seder, it will no longer be a Seder but a cruise experience.

Sorry for being sensitive and I probably did not word this well but I would not invite myself to an important service of another religion just to see what it was all about unless I was specifically invited by one of the people who were celebrating the occasion. We would expect the same respect with regard to our Passover Seder.

DON