What travel insurance do you use?

I've been searching and trying to piece together information. Looking at insuremytrip.com. So many options and it's confusing us. In the past, we just used Cruisecare, but know it doesn't cover everything. I would like to know what you experts typically use. Also, do you buy an annual policy? We take 3-4 trips each year, with 2-3 being cruises and the other generally a beach vacation. TIA

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've been searching and trying to piece together information. Looking at insuremytrip.com. So many options and it's confusing us. In the past, we just used Cruisecare, but know it doesn't cover everything. I would like to know what you experts typically use. Also, do you buy an annual policy? We take 3-4 trips each year, with 2-3 being cruises and the other generally a beach vacation. TIA

insuremytrip.com is the place to go for all your options. I don't think are many people on Cruise Critic that are qualified to tell you what you need, Call the insuremytrip.com 800 number and discuss with them.

I can't speak for those companies, but since you have booked with one before, then I am sure your aware of their fees in the event of an emergency. We had a situation with my husband on our August cruise whereby he had a heart attack and we were transferred to ST Johns. Our problem resulted in trying to medivac him home and the company we were with wanted over $40,000 up font. I didn't have a check book or the $$ so now I learned to make sure of the upfront costs and what we are liable for. We got my husband home via his own Federal United Health Care at $0 cost to me.

I can't speak for those companies, but since you have booked with one before, then I am sure your aware of their fees in the event of an emergency. We had a situation with my husband on our August cruise whereby he had a heart attack and we were transferred to ST Johns. Our problem resulted in trying to medivac him home and the company we were with wanted over $40,000 up font. I didn't have a check book or the $$ so now I learned to make sure of the upfront costs and what we are liable for. We got my husband home via his own Federal United Health Care at $0 cost to me.

I'm confused - are you saying you had a policy that provided med evac but you were expected to pay and then be reimbursed or something else?

Cruise Care thru' RCI and Celebrity only has 25K for evacuation. Very low. However, we recently claimed coverage for the cruise fare following hurricane Harvey when we cancelled because we didn't want to deal with the possible problems with the aftermath and got 75% of our cruise fare back for "cancel for any reason". Very fast response from the insurance company. We also have an annual medical and evacuation policy for a very low price.

What about the insurance that the cruise line offers. Is that any good? I think I paid like $170.00 to RC for a 5 day cruise. Do I need to buy more?

I would definitely research the fine print. I've not experienced RCI but added the standard NCL insurance on our cruise last Christmas and ended up needing care in the ship's infirmary and emergency surgery in St Thomas. I had to pay for it all up front because the insurance was secondary. I never expected to need it but when I did, it turned out to be worthless. Thanks goodness for a very high limit credit card my husband happened to bring along... my own medical insurance covered most of the costs once filed back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would definitely research the fine print. I've not experienced RCI but added the standard NCL insurance on our cruise last Christmas and ended up needing care in the ship's infirmary and emergency surgery in St Thomas. I had to pay for it all up front because the insurance was secondary. I never expected to need it but when I did, it turned out to be worthless. Thanks goodness for a very high limit credit card my husband happened to bring along... my own medical insurance covered most of the costs once filed back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you ! Good to know. I’ll call RC to see what other type of coverage I need. Don’t want to be caught off guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You have to make sure to compare apples to apples. There is vacation insurance and then travel/medical insurance. Two different animals. One covers vacation related incidents i.e.: cruise fare, canceled flights, stolen luggage (I hope), etc. The medical insurance covers just that, evac, hospital, MD, etc.

Guest maddycat

I buy our cruise travel insurance through the trip insurance store. I call and speak to one of their agents to discuss the type of coverage that I want. I buy the policy soon after booking the cruise so that pre-existing medical conditions are covered.

I also have an annual medjet assist policy. Medjet assist is strictly for evacuation from a hospital that is at least 150 miles from your home to the hospital of your choice. I'm probably over insuring with the medjet assist policy but it's worth it to me for the peace of mind that it provides.

https://tripinsurancestore.com/

https://medjetassist.com/aarp-discount

insuremytrip.com is the place to go for all your options. I don't think are many people on Cruise Critic that are qualified to tell you what you need, Call the insuremytrip.com 800 number and discuss with them.

The only problem with brokers like insuremytrip is that their (often same named) version of a particular insurance company's policy does not have as favorable limits et al. as does the specific company's own website offerings. Very similar to booking a hotel from a search site vs from the hotel's own website. Read the fine print.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have purchased one of Nationwide's cruise-specific policies for our last few cruises. They have some unique features, and pre-existing conditions are covered as long as you buy before final payment.

We use GeoBlue.

They offer a couple of annual programs - Geo Trekker and Geo Essential. For an annual fee (age dependant), they will cover medical, evacuation and prescription drug, all with a $50.00 deductible.

It is strictly for medical coverage while away from home and one needs to have primary insurance coverage in order to qualify.

This is much more cost efficient than purchasing medical coverage for each individual cruise, as we usually do three or more cruises a year.

Fortunately, we have never needed to file a claim, but it is good to know we have a safety net. Also, the reviews for GeoBlue's services appear to be good.

We use GeoBlue.

They offer a couple of annual programs - Geo Trekker and Geo Essential. For an annual fee (age dependant), they will cover medical, evacuation and prescription drug, all with a $50.00 deductible.

It is strictly for medical coverage while away from home and one needs to have primary insurance coverage in order to qualify.

This is much more cost efficient than purchasing medical coverage for each individual cruise, as we usually do three or more cruises a year.

Fortunately, we have never needed to file a claim, but it is good to know we have a safety net. Also, the reviews for GeoBlue's services appear to be good.

GeoBlue is a decent patch for primary insurance that has coverage holes when international travel is involved. But, before, jumping on that bandwagon, review your primary insurance or, for geezers like me, your Medicare supplementary policy, particularly for ambulance/transfer coverage (including medically necessary evacuation) and, in the case of a Medicare supplement, conversion to regular ("basic")policy whenever you leave the US. If your regular coverage is top notch and truly comprehensive, you won't need GeoBlue.

As regards actual "travel" insurance, recognize that many "travel savvy" credit cards include trip interruption/cancellation coverage though they don't have waivers for pre-existing conditions and their coverage limits (even if you know how to tie two similar credit cards together to effectively double the coverage) are generally insufficient when it comes to extended cruises on premium/luxury lines.

My husband had gone with a company but didn't check the policy to see what they would cover in the event of an emergency at sea. Our daughter had also flown in from Colorado to assist me, and we called our regular Insurance, United Health Care ( through his Federal Plan ) and they provided his transportation home and at no cost. The problem with this other company, they would only transport him to the nearest Hosp outside Newfoundland, and not back to California. We were 4 days from completing our Copenhagen TA when he had the heart attack and the ship diverted to Newfoundland as that was closer then going unto Halifax, our final port before disembarking in Boston and flying home.

This is a complaint I've seen mentioned often from many people. I've highlighted the important part about most (but not all) insurance policies. They are secondary insurance.

Since no one has explained what that means, I'll give it a go. With secondary insurance you must first file a claim with your primary insurance provider, so in the case described above that would be your regular medical insurance. Even if your regular medical coverage will not pay a single dime, you still need to file the claim and get the EOB (Explanation of Benefits) that shows how much they'll pay.

After doing that, THEN you go to your travel insurance and they will pay the remaining amount. So if you had a $1000 bill, your health insurance paid $800, you could then submit a claim to the secondary travel insurance for the remaining $200.

As mentioned, with most policies (even primary policies) you'll likely have to pay on the spot out of pocket for all costs when you are outside of the country. The claims process can take a couple months (especially when you have to do it twice, primary and then secondary). So it's very important to carry multiple credit cards with you to cover any large hospital expenses. Unlike in the United States, many foreign hospitals will refuse any and all treatment until you pay up.

For medical evacuation, which is 10's of thousands in most cases but can be 100's of thousands if in really remote/far away places like Asia you have to call the insurance company to make the arrangements for evac, that way they'll handle the costs directly. If the hospital or cruise line arranges the evac, they'll be looking to you to foot the bill. With medical evac there is two kinds of policies. One will get you to the nearest US hospital that can treat you (they make the decision, not you). The other will take you to the hospital of your choice, and is obviously the more expensive option.

Call your regular medical insurance company and ask what is covered outside the US, that way you'll know what gaps you'll need insurance to fill.

Summergirl*14, I use Allianz for my travel insurance. They offer an annual plan that covers EVERY trip over 100 mikes from home. It is not a “cancel for any reason” policy put includes med evac. We have been very happy when we needed to file a claim.

I insure with TravelInsured through USAA, which gives me a discount. I get more and higher coverage than RC Cruisecare with a much lower payment.

When we start traveling out of state more than one or two weeks a year, we'll switch to an annual plan.

We have well over $1M in coverage with TravelInsured.