When to put on luggage tags?

zitsky

I expect that comment was meant for folks who fly in and don’t want to have the airline baggage handlers possibly tear the cruise tag off. It would only be a precaution, not any security or identity theft issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why do people say to put your tags on at the port. How much personal info is there on the tags anyway? Isn't it just your name and room number? Who cares if someone sees that?

Keep the complicated confusion to a minimum - LAST NAME AND CABIN NUMBER

Put the tags on the luggage at or near the port.

Do not put tags on checked airline luggage - remove airline check stubs when putting on ship tags.

One tag per bag at a time - that is unless you want your luggage to have a more exciting vacation than yours !

They are not needed until the porters get them. As said, the airline might damage them.

Did not see how you are getting to ship from airport. If using NCL shuttle, then put them on as soon as you pick them up.

As to personal information.... I know some folks worry that there are bad guys checking addresses and then calling an accomplices back in your hometown so they can rob your house, but.... well...

I would put a phone number on everything so somebody can call you if your bag is misplaced.

The reason for the delay is so that they are not damaged in transit to the port. Airlines will remove them if they are on your bags. If you are driving to the port, put them on whenever you want.

Keep the complicated confusion to a minimum - LAST NAME AND CABIN NUMBER

Put the tags on the luggage at or near the port.

Do not put tags on checked airline luggage - remove airline check stubs when putting on ship tags.

One tag per bag at a time - that is unless you want your luggage to have a more exciting vacation than yours !

This! [emoji115][emoji23]✈️[emoji924]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have put the tags on my checked luggage before leaving home every year for 5 straight years, never lost a tag during the air travel, never lost a bag.

I would guess the vast MAJORITY of people would agree with you.

But... why chance it? Is there some hurry to put the tags on.

Do as you will.

By the way, I leave the light on our front porch to keep burglars away. Have been doing it for 20 years and has worked so far.

They are not needed until the porters get them. As said, the airline might damage them.

Did not see how you are getting to ship from airport. If using NCL shuttle, then put them on as soon as you pick them up.

As to personal information.... I know some folks worry that there are bad guys checking addresses and then calling an accomplices back in your hometown so they can rob your house, but.... well...

I would put a phone number on everything so somebody can call you if your bag is misplaced.

A phone number can be traced to your home address - not good.

Simply First Initial of first name and last name and better yet in addition put a copy of your travel documents

INSIDE your luggage so the tagless bag knows where to go when found and opened.

Loss of your baggage on airlines is getting more and more or I should state LESS and LESS an issue with the

new RFID (Radio Frequency I D) bag claim checks/tags that are scanned at almost every step from the bag

check-in counter down the belts to the bag make up areas and then when loaded in the belly of an airplane.

Have a smart phone track your bag to the belly cargo hold right under your feet of the airplane flight you are on.

Keep the excess tags off your luggage - old school with all dem tags - where do you want you luggage to go on

this trip - with you ? or your last destination ? or the one previous to that ? do you feel lucky ??? At LEAST

give your dumb luggage a chance to be with you on your vacation.

We always fly in a day early so when at the hotel we put the tags on our luggage. There is probably no reason not to do so before boarding the plane. The chances of them being damaged is slim, still it is safer to wait. As for info, heck our luggage, permanent tags have our info on them, so if someone wants to steal our stuff or break into our house, they could. It has never occurred to me. As long as we have been traveling nothing has ever happened.

We fly in the day before, so we put them on in the morning that we're going to the ship. On our last cruise, I took a stapler in my backpack to be able to staple the tags to the handle of the bags (to my husband's consternation). My backpack was pulled and reviewed by the airport security in Venice as we were leaving, and I got strange looks from security and an "I told you so" look from the hubby.

Since then I've bought tag holders, and they'll already be filled out and going into my backpack, and then attached the morning of the cruise (now 16 days away!).

--Michael

You don't want them on your bags if you're flying...the airlines have enough trouble with only THEIR OWN tags...getting your luggage to your destination!

If you're driving, slap 'em on. If you're flying, wait until the flight is over!!!

Some of you get really worked about about this! I appreciate the advice!

I bought some nice reusable clear luggage envelopes from the huge place named after a river. The envelopes include cables that attach to the handle of luggage securely. They have survived a number of voyages apparently unscathed. I find that easier than carrying either tape or a stapler. We attach them as we make our way into port.

Agreed.

In the past we didn’t want to take a stapler so did I️t before leaving home. This time we bought special tag holders so will wait to apply until boarding.

We leave a light on AND have a sweet security system. No burglars, except the permanent residents. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We fly the day prior and stay in a hotel. I put them on the morning before we head to the cruise terminal. Have always been able to get a stapler at the front desk to affix them. Don't have to carry one. I do usually put clear packing tape on them so that they are tear resistant (and waterproof, too, I guess!) But that's me, over-planner.