Viking ocean cruises

sweetieweetie

hello - my mother-in-law would really like to go on a Viking Ocean cruises as a retirement gift for my husband. The problem is I planned on going with him and I am in a wheelchair. I have heard Viking ships are terrible for handicap passengers. That they do not have handicap accessible rooms, especially shower chairs in the bathroom. Additionally, they have an excursion and each port and I am concerned I won't be able to go on any of them. Does anyone have any information on the subject?

From the Viking Ocean web page - FAQ's:

Viking Cruises welcomes disabled guests but wishes all guests to understand that challenges will exist on board and during shore excursions. Our ocean vessels have elevators, but there may still be thresholds that could make movement difficult. Shore excursions may require movement over cobblestones or up and down stairs; accordingly, a physically challenged guest will require the services of a responsible adult since crew availability is limited. Guests need to provide their own wheelchairs, except in an emergency. Motorized scooters are not typically suited on international cruises and cannot be accommodated. Viking does not accommodate animals except for certified therapy or Seeing Eye dogs on our international itineraries.

When you make your reservation, please let us know of any disability that will require special attention while you are on your Viking Ocean Cruise itinerary. Should you have any medical, physical or other special needs, check the fleet information on our website to gain an understanding of the layout of any particular ship, and contact Viking Cruises, Inc., at 1-855-884-5464 (1-855-8VIKING) directly with additional questions and to obtain a copy of our policy statement.

Interesting ... just looked at deck plans on two different sites for the Viking Orion and it doesn't indicate any cabins as 'Accessible', so I would definitely call them directly and ask. That's something that's usually shown on deck plans.

I think you may be confusing Viking ocean cruises with Viking river cruises - two different animals.

Roz

Thanks for the response, I was referring to the Viking ocean cruises ( I know there is no way I could do a river boat cruise ).

Interesting ... just looked at deck plans on two different sites for the Viking Orion and it doesn't indicate any cabins as 'Accessible', so I would definitely call them directly and ask. That's something that's usually shown on deck plans.

I know, and that was my concern too. I don't want to go on a cruise and find I can't even leave the cabin and have trouble even taken a shower. Everything I have found so far tells me to go on another cruise line but she's pretty adamant about wanting to go on Viking.