Combining Cyber Sale and Explore 4? Too good to be true?

dcsam

I called HAL today and booked a cruise for December, 2018. Got the Explore 4 promotion. I then transferred it to our usual warehouse agency. When she (from warehouse agency) called over to transfer, the HAL agent said I also get the Cyber Sale benefit of included gratuities and beverage card. Don't know why we need the beverage card since we'll have the included beverages that came with the Explore 4. The warehouse agent wrote it out on the confirmation she emailed me. I'm just surprised we were able to combine the two. I'm not complaining. It's a good thing. But for some reason, it's seeming too good to be true. I'm hoping we don't get on the ship and HAL will know nothing of our good fortune.

Welcome to the world of dealing with cruise agencies. Its not too good to be true (if you have it in writing) and these kind of things are pretty routine for those of us who shop around. For some reason there is a lot of resistance, by many long time HAL cruisers (and some cruisers of other lines), to shop around for deals. Many are wedded to one particular cruise/travel agent and others have this strange idea that they can keep "control" by booking and keeping a booking with HAL. And then there are those who have some kind of love affair with a HAL clerk (which they call their PCC).

So thank your good fortune and just smile at those who tell you these things do not happen. My only advice is that on future bookings, shop around a bit before making a commitment. Eventually you will develop your own "short list" of favorite agencies where you will shop future cruises.

On yeah, also make sure you watch the pricing of the cruise you have booked. You might even find a time when there is a nice price drop (even with your amenities) at which time you should give your cruise agent a call (or send an e-mail) and ask them to reprice your booking to see if you can get an even better deal.

Hank

Thank you Hank!

Well... I have it in writing from the warehouse agency. Just hope that's as good as getting it in writing from HAL. We typically book with this warehouse agency, as they offer some great shipboard credit. And we've only had positive experiences with them. The rate we paid for the cruise was pretty decent to begin with. Adding the Explore 4 and the Cyber Sale was just icing on the cake. And unexpected.

And I will check for price reductions and drop the 'incentives' I have if it becomes the better deal. But I'm quite happy with our final package.

We have only done a few cruises and I have done it all myself. What is the best way to book with a travel agent? Book first and then transfer or have them do the whole thing?

I now book with a HAL PCC, get everything arranged to my specifications, and then transfer the booking to the big warehouse TA to get the OBC. The OBC is too good to pass up by staying with the cruise line PCC. There are limitations once one has to go through their TA, though, so it's not for everyone. Only you can decide if the perks, with the TA, is worth it to you.

Can you describe the limits and the pros and cons of going through a TA versus HAL? I have booked a cruise for late February with the Warehouse TA and wonder how to find out whether the price has dropped. We have not yet made final payment. Thanks.

Can you describe the limits and the pros and cons of going through a TA versus HAL? I have booked a cruise for late February with the Warehouse TA and wonder how to find out whether the price has dropped. We have not yet made final payment. Thanks.

You just watch prices on the HAL site and if you see a drop in your category, contact the warehouse TA (we use them too). We've had absolutely no problems with them, they've always graciously given us the lower price. If it gets past final payment, they may offer OBC or an upsell to another category.

Last year I rebooked my Dec, 2017 cruise and got a great deal (IMO). Explore4 just went off, dropping base fares and then Cyber sale came out. So, I rebooked.

This year Explore4 expires 11-17, a week before Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

By limitations, I mean that when one uses a TA, one has to go through the TA to HAL. You can't speak directly with HAL about your booking. I find it a little irritating to call the TA, sit on hold while they call HAL, to find out what I need, rather than calling HAL directly. However, I do decide whether or not the irritation is worth the OBC that they give with the booking. Most times, it is. But I usually don't transfer the booking until a few weeks prior to final payment (it MUST be transferred before final payment) so it's unusual for me to call the TA after transferring.

Thank you Hank!

Well... I have it in writing from the warehouse agency. Just hope that's as good as getting it in writing from HAL. We typically book with this warehouse agency, as they offer some great shipboard credit. And we've only had positive experiences with them. The rate we paid for the cruise was pretty decent to begin with. Adding the Explore 4 and the Cyber Sale was just icing on the cake. And unexpected.

And I will check for price reductions and drop the 'incentives' I have if it becomes the better deal. But I'm quite happy with our final package.

Just make sure you take a copy of all the relevant paperwork that shows the benefits. We have had a few cruises (over many years) where certain promised benefits (such as OBCs) were not showing on our onboard account. In those cases we would simply go to Guest Relations and show them our paperwork. The staff would simply make a copy and the issue was resolved within 1 or 2 days.

Hank

You just watch prices on the HAL site and if you see a drop in your category, contact the warehouse TA (we use them too). We've had absolutely no problems with them, they've always graciously given us the lower price. If it gets past final payment, they may offer OBC or an upsell to another category.

Thank you!