Cancel for any reason insurance?

Turtle05

I have seen mention of this elsewhere. Is this a real thing? Is it really ANY reason? My family's reasons for possibly needing to cancel pretty much all fall under stuff you can't cancel for with regularl Princess coverage. Does Princess offer a "cancel for any reason" insurance? If not, does anyone have recommendations?

Yes princess vacation protection does cover cancel for any reason. If you purchase the standard policy and cancel for a non covered reason you would receive %75 back in a future cruise credit. If you purchase the platinum plan you would get %100 back in a future cruise credit.

One major difference between Princess insurance and other insurance is the age factor. Princess charges the same amount regardless of age, while many other agencies charge significantly increasing rates for older travelers.

Thanks, this is all very helpful. If anyone has outside agencies they recommend, please let me know. My parents, who are in their early 60s, basically have two reasons they would cancel. My dad has had very slowly progressing kidney disease for about 20 years, and it's nearly progressed to the point where he will need dialysis. Additionally, my mom's job is pretty much always hanging in the balance these days due to her boss's age (she's a personal assistant). So, they would either need to cancel for my dad's pre-existing medical condition or my mom losing her job. Honestly, if they would accept, my husband and I would cover if the latter occurred, but obviously if my dad is too sick to travel, there isn't anything I can do about that. So with that being said, obviously that money going towards future cruise credit is not helpful.

What happens if you complete the health card at time of boarding saying "I've been sick"?

Wouldn't they refuse you boarding, and wouldn't that qualify for a full refund or credit?

I honestly do not know, I have never considered doing this as a false pretext to cancel a cruise.

What happens if you complete the health card at time of boarding saying "I've been sick"?

Wouldn't they refuse you boarding, and wouldn't that qualify for a full refund or credit?

I honestly do not know, I have never considered doing this as a false pretext to cancel a cruise.

I know policies I've had mandated that a physician must make a determination you cannot go on your trip. I think a refusal to board might be sufficient to convince the physician.

• 2 weeks later...

We have had to cancel for a health issue that unexpectedly arose (you need to watch for limitations impoosed by travel insurance companies for things like changes in medications) and another due to employment challenges. We didn't get back the deposit but everything else.

I have seen mention of this elsewhere. Is this a real thing? Is it really ANY reason? My family's reasons for possibly needing to cancel pretty much all fall under stuff you can't cancel for with regularl Princess coverage. Does Princess offer a "cancel for any reason" insurance? If not, does anyone have recommendations?

Yes it is.

When you purchase the Platinum vacation protection do you automatically have the "cancellation fee waiver addendum" noted on page 5 of the brochure?

In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased Cruise Vacation Protection, Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours will provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% (100% if Platinum Vacation Protection was purchased) of the non-refundable value of your cruise vacation prepaid to Princess Cruises and/or PrincessTours, for your use toward a future cruise.This additional enhancement is offered exclusively by Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours as a special service to guests that purchase this passage contract Cancellation Fee Waiver Addendum.

When you purchase the Platinum vacation protection do you automatically have the "cancellation fee waiver addendum" noted on page 5 of the brochure?

In the event that you choose to cancel for a reason not authorized above or for a reason that is otherwise restricted, at any time up until departure, and you have purchased Cruise Vacation Protection, Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours will provide you a cruise credit equal to 75% (100% if Platinum Vacation Protection was purchased) of the non-refundable value of your cruise vacation prepaid to Princess Cruises and/or PrincessTours, for your use toward a future cruise.This additional enhancement is offered exclusively by Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours as a special service to guests that purchase this passage contract Cancellation Fee Waiver Addendum.

yes

We did use the Princess Cancel-for-any-Reason a while back when a close friend became seriously ill. In fact, we canceled the day before the cruise was scheduled to leave. It does work. It took about 3-weeks to process the claim and for the cruise credits to be applied to our account on Princess.

Now for the first gotcha. According to our TA, the credit can only be used for the cruise portion of the fare. It can’t be used for port fees and taxes. It can’t be used for air. It can only be used for the cruise fare.

Now for the second gotcha. After our TA got everything for our next cruise booked, Princess informed him that cruise credit was treated as a discount against the cruise fare and thus he did not receive any commission on the booking. So, the only commission that he made was a few piddling dollars as a result of the insurance that we bought. It’s a good thing that we’ve dealt with this TA in the past, and will continue to do so in the future.