Have you ever not liked your table mates??

bobjer17

We started doing only table-for-two after about our 25th cruise (#44 is coming up in March). We mostly had nice people, but the last few times we did large tables, we had horrible tablemates. One couple made out at the table during most of the dinners. Another couple would disappear for awhile and then return and seemed high and not from liquor. On a Holland America cruise, we asked the Maitre'D to move us to another table after the first night! We'd had enough of small talk with strangers after that and only do dinners just for the two of us. Much more enjoyable and less stressful.

My daughter and I did one of the gourmet dinners, I can’t remember which one. We were seated beside a couple and the other ladies at the table were looking down on the wife. My daughter and I decided to draw her out. Yes, she was kind of provocatively dressed, hair, makeup and jewelry, overdone, but we found out that she was from a former Soviet nation. She had some great stories and we had a lovely time talking to her. You can’t judge a book...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have to agree with the other party, it's not their problem. Sorry but, selfish is expecting others, on their vacation, to do what you want them to do, rather than what they prefer.

But why keep the table and plan never to come. If they didnt like us they could have just switched tables.

I suppose I am naive to be surprised that I am not alone among those who have heard the "N" word from a table-mate. Years ago, I was with my mom who was raised in the 60's and one who I would describe as an activist and protester during that time. We were shocked to sit next to and hear an older man with a heavy southern accent use the word. We both thought we misheard him, until later after dinner when we talked about it. Literally, I had never heard anyone actually say the word. It was sad because I remember his wife seemed to be so lovely.

Another issue I have experienced is the wine thing. I enjoy having wine with dinner. I usually order a bottle, and bring the remainder to the cabin afterward. I have had people negatively comment on this, which makes me feel uncomfortable.

Lastly, sometimes I feel shy or introverted. Sometimes I feel like it's hard to be myself around others. I think it might be social anxiety, I don't know. I would hate for my table-mates to think I'm being rude because I am quiet...so that's another tricky one.

I love to meet people and make friends but with a 2-hour dinner, I feel like it's too risky for me, so I always choose MTD.

My last cruise we had YTD, a table for two. But those tables are so close together it's almost like sitting at a table for 6- the 2 tables on either side!

But since everyone has their own schedule, and since technically you're at a separate table, you can act like you're at a private table, or you can choose to chat with, share some conversation with those on either side of you...

I tell you that because the first elegant night DH & I started chatting with the couple at the next table. He was really nice, but she seemed a bit abrasive... as we talked more about current events (Hurricane Harvey had just hit Houston - wow--- that's crazy alliteration!) we started talking about the Book of Faces page for our cruise and how confrontational it got with some of the people on the site...

Turns out the wife was the one who was getting into verbal wars with everyone before the cruise, telling them they shouldn't be looking forward to their cruise, since so many people's lives were devastated by Harvey, that she was crying all the time, how could they be happy when others were miserable, even strongly suggested that we should take the refunds for cancelled excursions and donate it to the Harvey relief fund! She really got a lot of people very angry by her berating them for wanting a vacation! As she identified me as a fellow FB member, all I could think was how glad I was that I wasn't one of the people she got into brawls with, and how uncomfortable the rest of the dinner might have been!

Oh, I did by way of no harm mention how glad I was that she was able to overcome her emotional upset enough to join us on the cruise... they skipped dessert and left shortly after!

We shared a table with several couples, and one of the couples repeatedly came to dinner high. I mean “HIIIGGHHHH”. Not weed and not booze. Barely concious and unable to make any sense or be coherent. The other couples were great and we enjoyed dinner anyway.

We used to sit with others in the beginning of our cruising years so many, many years ago. We have asked for private table for 3 for many years now as have to agree with all that has been said about this being OUR family vacation and not wanting the idle chit chat or opinions. We use YTD once in a while also BUT for most part we prefer to eat at our own table when in the MDR.

We generally tell them at check in desk that there are 2 of us, but we will gladly sit with a solo cruiser. We have met some great people that way. We don't have to wait for a large table to fill up, and gives a person traveling alone to have some conversations. Many people that travel alone has lost loved ones, and are just trying to get back into normalcy, and we have never had a bad experience.

Turns out the wife was the one who was getting into verbal wars with everyone before the cruise, telling them they shouldn't be looking forward to their cruise, since so many people's lives were devastated by Harvey, that she was crying all the time, how could they be happy when others were miserable, even strongly suggested that we should take the refunds for cancelled excursions and donate it to the Harvey relief fund! She really got a lot of people very angry by her berating them for wanting a vacation! As she identified me as a fellow FB member, all I could think was how glad I was that I wasn't one of the people she got into brawls with, and how uncomfortable the rest of the dinner might have been!

Oh, I did by way of no harm mention how glad I was that she was able to overcome her emotional upset enough to join us on the cruise... they skipped dessert and left shortly after!

Double Bonus Points if you tell me you looked her in the eye with a smile when you delivered that message.

On Nov. 13, 2015, we celebrated my 65th BDay by dining in the Magic Steakhouse. This was the day of the Paris terrorist bombing. Two " Texas vets" at the next table over commented about the bombing, and stated they really hoped that NYC would be next to be bombed.

I held my breath and tongue, got our desserts to go, and left in disgust at the amount of animosity and treason they showed. BTW, we had met the wives at an informal M&G a few days earlier on the ship.

We have not had any incidents approaching this level with any MDR tablemates we ever had, so this was absolutely shocking!

For the most part, I have been fortunate, and had some really nice and well matched table mates, both when I cruised with family and when solo. But there was one Carnival cruise, and one on a different line, that were quite unpleasant. On the Carnival cruise, the two table mates with me and my Mom, left after the second night. Saw them, or one of them afterwards on promenade deck, no explanation given, but she seemed to want to avoid me for some reason. I did acknowledge her and say hello, but you could tell she/they just did not like us. Mom and I ended up at the table by ourselves for the rest of the 7 day cruise, and that was fine by me. But I felt bad for my Mom who is a social butterfly, and loves to dine with others at the table. Funny thing is that after they left, our waiters seemed to relax and treated my Mom and I like royalty. LOL.

On my one Celebrity cruise....again a very weird experience. Two seperate couples seated at a big table with me, my Mom and my Dad. After the first night, neither couple returned, and we three remained at our big table by ourselves. On the 4th evening a young couple on their honeymoon joined us. Turned out to be a wonderful next three evenings. Given the age differences, demographic difference, they were so happy to be away from their previous table, and so interesting, and friendly. It turned out to be a positive that the others left. Same as the one bad Carnival dining room time, I was so glad those two ladies left. Mom not so much, but she does not perceive unfriendliness like I do.

I am however grateful these days for "your time dining" on Carnival. Just dont want to risk either of those kind of situations again.

Just wondering why you felt like it was necessary for you to point out the gentleman had a strong southern accent. I have heard racist comments from people of many accents and races.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

But why keep the table and plan never to come. If they didnt like us they could have just switched tables.

You said they told you that they might come again, so why should they give up the table to please you? You don't know if they didn't like you the first night or why they opted not to return the next night. After what you claim to have said to them I wouldn't have come back again either, even if I had initially intended to.

I love group tables, meeting people who are having a good time.There is always that one couple that s obnoxious and demanding, the rest of the table ignores them and has a good time. Of course I have had those demanding people when I have traveled with a group of friends. Last cruise I traveled with a group from my neighborhood and one couple consistently showed up 30 minutes late. When called on their tardiness the wife blew it off and said she was going to be late to her own funeral. Our servers observed the trend and started serving us last every night.

Just wondering why you felt like it was necessary for you to point out the gentleman had a strong southern accent. I have heard racist comments from people of many accents and races.

Ignore this post. I copied the wrong one . So sorry.

Hi-Husband and I love to meet new people when we are cruising. We also like to sit with people for dinner. Our last experience doing that wasn't great. The people were rude, racist, and just all-around horrors. We couldn't get away from them fast enough. Then of course we would see them all over the ship and they would want to stop and talk to us..we would just say quick "hello, how is your day?" and keep moving.

We want to be able to sit with others again..but now we are a little nervous about it.

We gave up on fixed seating years ago and now opt for anytime dining. That way the worst that can happen if you cannot get along with your tablemates is one meal. On several occasions we have met really great people and scheduled our anytime meals together.

I suppose I am naive to be surprised that I am not alone among those who have heard the "N" word from a table-mate. Years ago,....

Believe it or not, years ago, there wasn't such a stigma on the use of that word. Maybe since the 90's?

I went to a racially mixed school and in grade school used it all the time. I'd get called hunky, I'd respond back (or visa-versa). No big deal. Not even fighting words and at times it was said jokingly.

Back then the fight phrase was, "Your momma" If you said that, then the gloves came off. Kids got bent over that.

Times change, oftentimes, people don't.

Few years ago we were on a 14 day cruise and we were seated with another couple and his mother.

Three days or so all was well and than they stopped showing up. Asked them if they planned on coming back and they said probably not they prefer lido.

Asked them if we could tell the MD they are giving up the table? They refused just in case they wanted to come to dinner one night.

I than said that was not nice as they were forcing us to have dinner by ourselves. The guys answer was why should that be their problem. Looked at him for quite a while and turned my back on him saying he was incredibly selfish.

So we wewnt to the MD and moved to another table.

So, if they weren't going to show back up, why did you feel the need to move tables? They weren't being selfish, but it sounds like you were, though.

So, if they weren't going to show back up, why did you feel the need to move tables? They weren't being selfish, but it sounds like you were, though.

We like to meet new people on cruises and always ask for a table of 4-8.

So we are selfish because we didnt want to sit alone?

BTW we did move after day 5 or 6 of 14 day cruise and our wait staff for table 2 got the auto tips. There was no way at the time to reallocate tips without cancelling autotips and paying everyone in cash.

Our old table mates did come to DR once (new table was in another section a few tables away and pretty sure they didnt tip all that well for 3 or 4 dinners in DR.

So our original waitstaff really got screwed over.

And so many people are calling us selfish?