825 am flight from Papeete

Andee

O doesn’t book it for a very good reason!

Might you make it? Maybe.

If you don’t then?

How lucky do you feel? Is a 33% chance of making the flight worth it to you? How about 50/50?

I can tell you many book that flight for the following day, so if you miss it, you can be out a couple of days since it can sell out.

Will the anecdotal story of just one cruiser tempt the odds and book it?

I’m more of an inherent risk taker than most, and I’d book it for Day 2 at the earliest. Actually, Day 4, in that I’d go back to Moorea for a few days, then back to Papeete the night before.

We may have to reverse our plan of spending a few days in Tahiti before the cruise and do it afterwards instead.

We'll have a one day stop in Moorea during the cruise, and I think that will be enough for us.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Actually Moorea is an absolutely beautiful place. We stayed twice in Moorea after our Oceania cruises and it was the highlight. You can take the ferry from the port over where the cruise ship docks and then get car service to your hotel.We stayed at the Pearl in a bungalow (not over the water) and had such a lovely time we did it again. We liked Moorea better than Bora Bora. You can walk to restaurants and are not isolated to your hotel as on Bora Bora. The island is so much lovelier than Tahiti.

Edited by TERRIER1

After spending a day seeing the sights in Moorea, what else is there to do?

We'll have gone snorkeling 4 times during the cruise.

IMO, other than pockets of natural geographic beauty and some sites having religious significance, there's not a whole lot to see/do on Tahiti.

However, the Intercontinental Hotel does have day passes for use of their facilities including lunch at one of their two restaurants. Pass prices run about $65/person for their lower end restaurant and $95 for the world class Lotus restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After spending a day seeing the sights in Moorea, what else is there to do?

We'll have gone snorkeling 4 times during the cruise.

We just chilled out. Took long walks up the road, did some off road sightseeing. Paddle board and snorkeling off the dock. On Sunday morning morning took a long walk and passed a church and was invited in for the service.

TA says O won't book this on disembarkation day because it's too early.

I may be wrong, but I thought I read a post from someone who had booked it.

Itinerary says we get to Papeete at 5 am.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks.

Oceania often overnights in Papeete at the end of a cruise so the early flight may not be too early for that cruise.

Both cruises in Febuary have an identical itinerary. Neither overnight the night before disembarkation. The other poster Andee mentions didn't book it, they were assigned it by Oceania. Somehow doesn't make sense.

Andee, is your cruise in 2018?

If you are doing a deviation ask what flights they will give you for the dates you want

That means if you want to fly home on disembarkation day then give them that day & see what they come up with

If they give you the 11pm flight then do different dates to get a time & routing you want

I would not wait to long to start the process

jmo

I'll second Moorea, where we spent 3 days prior to our cruise. We did a 10 day cruise, and after seeing the islands, Tahiti just seemed crowded and over developed. Our guide on Fakarava spent considerable time dissing Tahiti, calling it dirty and full of disease. At the time we thought he was a bit overboard, but coming from the more pristine outer islands, I can see how he might think this. Moorea is a nice combination of beauty and enough development to go to a good restaurant, etc. As the hotels, etc, are on the central island, it's relatively easy to get places. Bora Bora, it seemed most of the hotels were on the atoll, making it harder to get to another area.

It is indeed simple to get to Moorea as the ferry leaves from the same area as the cruise ships.

As for leaving from Papeete, our flight left at night. The ship arranged a "conference room" for passengers without other plans to wait in for the day, after morning embarkation. It turned out to be an outdoor pavilion, use of the poolside bathrooms, and a plate of cookies - for 10 hours. Had I known this, I would have definitely arranged a day room at a hotel instead.

A bit off topic, but in case anyone does a search, the info is out there...

Is the night flight out of the question??

At least with that you will not have to spend several days with nothing to do

You could always get a day room when you disembark then head to the airport later that night ( if the hotel will let you stay late)

I am sure you have worked your brain to a frazzle

LHT28, you are so right!

When I looked at all the flight options fron either MKE or ORD, the Delta/Air France flights made the most sense and were the most reasonable, but that included taking the morning flight on disembarkation day.

I'll reevaluate all options after O responds tomorrow.

TA says O won't book this on disembarkation day because it's too early.

I may be wrong, but I thought I read a post from someone who had booked it.

Itinerary says we get to Papeete at 5 am.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks.

I did it when I overnighted on O in Papeete. However, we got off really early and took our own luggage. I had a car to take me to the airport. It will only work if you overnight and ask for permission to disembark early.

O doesn’t book it for a very good reason!

Might you make it? Maybe.

If you don’t then?

How lucky do you feel? Is a 33% chance of making the flight worth it to you? How about 50/50?

I can tell you many book that flight for the following day, so if you miss it, you can be out a couple of days since it can sell out.

Will the anecdotal story of just one cruiser tempt the odds and book it?

I’m more of an inherent risk taker than most, and I’d book it for Day 2 at the earliest. Actually, Day 4, in that I’d go back to Moorea for a few days, then back to Papeete the night before.

Are we not all adults here, capable of making our own choices?