Are the Drinks Packages worth the price ?

LeoLes1968

To be honest I never considered the other drinks we have during the day and perhaps a brandy last thing at night, and I do have wine with my evening meals sometimes, although we have an unofficial rule that we don't generally drink alcohol during the day (at our age nearing our 70's you have to think of your poor head the next day!), BUT we would be drinking other things like fruit drinks, coffee, water, tea etc. and I presume all those would be included in the package right ?

To be honest I never considered the other drinks we have during the day and perhaps a brandy last thing at night, and I do have wine with my evening meals sometimes, although we have an unofficial rule that we don't generally drink alcohol during the day (at our age nearing our 70's you have to think of your poor head the next day!), BUT we would be drinking other things like fruit drinks, coffee, water, tea etc. and I presume all those would be included in the package right ?

That is correct. The deluxe package takes the replenish package and adds alcohol, so all coffees (outside of starbucks kiosks on ships that have them) bottled water, soda, fresh squeezed juices, smoothies, etc are all included.

The Refreshment package also covers all those things at a much lesser price. If you don’t drink much alcohol, you can get the Refreshment package and just buy your alcohol drinks individually. You can also bring 2 bottles of wine on, and pour yourself a glass and take to dinner with you.

Also, think about your itinerary, how much time you'll be spending in port, and how that may affect your drinking habits. A package hasn't made much sense for us since we've tended to cruise long and/or port-intensive cruises, and while the package may have been worth it for days at sea, it certainly wasn't for long days in port.

As far as fringe benefits such as not having to worry about the bill, to me that's dependent on the bill being at or less than what I'd otherwise spend; not much piece of mind to me of spending $400 for one bill rather than $300 for a bunch of little ones.

Trying drinks is great, but I tend to know what I like (and don't) and I cant think of a time where I've ordered something and been so disgusted that I tossed it.

I just had this discussion with my husband while determining if the drink package was worth it at the Cyber Monday prices, and we took the plunge and bought it. Also it made it easier because we were able to use our OBC so it brought the package down even more. My reasoning was what has been mentioned here: it includes coffees, juices, soda, bottled water and the like. I like a mimosa/bloody mary in the morning on vacation and add a drink before, during, after dinner and I'll get my moneys worth. The main reason I did it was for peace of mind - I know in the end I might not be saving money but in my brain I will drift to the cheaper beer instead of the frozen cocktail I may want just to save 4 bucks. Now I can drink what I want when I want and if I don't like a drink, I won't feel bad if I don't drink it.

"We are not alcoholics, but we do like to have a few drinks every day" ... ha ... I got news for you, folks ...

Seriously, the drink package question is one all us non-(hic)alcoholics (who am I fooling) wrestle with. Sharing drinks is the other one people should struggle with. Theoretically, if my wife and I get the package (800 bucks) and then share it with the people traveling with us, it would make sense financially BUT ... that isn't ethical.

The reason I say that is we were on a cruise last year and some people we met (reasonable, or so it seemed, adults) were overdrinking "just to get their money's worth" and also blatantly getting drinks for their son and his wife, traveling in another stateroom, who hadn't paid for the package. They were gleefully recounting how many drinks they got over the seven days for their money, and also drinking way too much after coming on board after a day off the ship. Trying not to be judgmental, but it just seemed like these (reasonable) people were drinking for the sake of drinking and also breaking the rules just because ... they could.

One more thing ... they always seemed really hungover the next morning. Which is great on a sunny cruise, right?

OK, I'll stop now. But not before mentioning that just because you can eat all you want on a cruise, you maybe shouldn't ...

I truly enjoyed reading your post. :)

I always more than break even for the cost of the drink package. Many times my girlfriend does not. To me much of the appeal of having the package is the same as the cruise itself. I can relax and not worry about every little thing. With the drink package we can try a drink that sounds interesting or think we may like and its no big loss if we don't like it. If I was paying individually I probably wouldn't try things or would feel obligated to swallow some drink that I don't like. I don't concentrate if I am "breaking even" or not.

Couldn't agree more!

Its a question that only you can really answer. Drink prices are high if you pay out of pocket, so its not as hard to get to the max as you would think. It does include bottled water, coffee and soda if you are into that. I am not a big drinker. Some days I more than broke even, so days I struggled to get my money's worth (and likely did not). It is nice knowing that you can get whatever you want. I don't want to drink 7 drinks a day every day, but if I were paying out of pocket, I might limit myself to 1 per day. This gave me the freedom to have a mimosa with breakfast, have some drinks by the pool, a soda at lunch, have some hot chocolate or a chai in the afternoon, have a drink or two with dinner, a drink at the show, a night cap, a few bottles of water in the room. Not all of those every day for me (DH is a different story), but the point is, I could if I want to. I am one of those people that feels guilty spending cash, but could swipe my debit card for 2x the amount and not give it another thought (yes I know I am crazy).

Its a question that only you can really answer. Drink prices are high if you pay out of pocket, so its not as hard to get to the max as you would think. It does include bottled water, coffee and soda if you are into that. I am not a big drinker. Some days I more than broke even, so days I struggled to get my money's worth (and likely did not). It is nice knowing that you can get whatever you want. I don't want to drink 7 drinks a day every day, but if I were paying out of pocket, I might limit myself to 1 per day. This gave me the freedom to have a mimosa with breakfast, have some drinks by the pool, a soda at lunch, have some hot chocolate or a chai in the afternoon, have a drink or two with dinner, a drink at the show, a night cap, a few bottles of water in the room. Not all of those every day for me (DH is a different story), but the point is, I could if I want to. I am one of those people that feels guilty spending cash, but could swipe my debit card for 2x the amount and not give it another thought (yes I know I am crazy).

I guess I am crazy to - shelling out cash makes it real, and in this case, even signing for $12 per drink would probably make me just not get any. I am still on the fence about getting the deluxe (will get the replenish either way), but the last time was pretty nice to just walk up, not look at prices and order whatever I felt like. At some point, if I was a big enough drinker, I might actually know what every drink tasted like and know what I like and what I don't.

Trying drinks is great, but I tend to know what I like (and don't) and I cant think of a time where I've ordered something and been so disgusted that I tossed it.

Oh gosh, I’m with you. I shed a tear every time I read a post about wasting perfectly good alcohol because they didn’t care for the drink. LOL

Oh gosh, I’m with you. I shed a tear every time I read a post about wasting perfectly good alcohol because they didn’t care for the drink. LOL

Oh boy you would hate to be around me ;p

When we pay ala carte I stick with just the drinks I know I'll like, but with the package I'll get adventurous. Sometimes I'll love the drink, sometimes I'll be able to tolerate it, and sometimes it just goes down the drain. That's happened a lot with wines and beers; I've mostly figured out for those so far (no beer, but I'll do cider) but wines still surprise me sometimes. Right now I can do Moscato, White Zin, and as we recently discovered Riesling.

Bionic Bar in particular has a hit or miss record for me. I love making new drinks but they don't always work out well. And if it doesn't work, I'm not gonna force myself to drink it.

I feel like RC is twisting my arm into purchasing a alcohol package but after talking to my spouse that the cost for the program on our 6 day cruise is well over our alcohol budget for the cruise. We will bring on the 2 bottles of wine and limit buying alcohol to one or two drinks a day. :cool:

I feel like RC is twisting my arm into purchasing a alcohol package but after talking to my spouse that the cost for the program on our 6 day cruise is well over our alcohol budget for the cruise. We will bring on the 2 bottles of wine and limit buying alcohol to one or two drinks a day. :cool:

1 or 2 drinks a day you’d be out of pocket big time if you bought the package

Oh boy you would hate to be around me ;p

When we pay ala carte I stick with just the drinks I know I'll like, but with the package I'll get adventurous. Sometimes I'll love the drink, sometimes I'll be able to tolerate it, and sometimes it just goes down the drain. That's happened a lot with wines and beers; I've mostly figured out for those so far (no beer, but I'll do cider) but wines still surprise me sometimes. Right now I can do Moscato, White Zin, and as we recently discovered Riesling.

Bionic Bar in particular has a hit or miss record for me. I love making new drinks but they don't always work out well. And if it doesn't work, I'm not gonna force myself to drink it.

Well, if we ever sail together, I will make sure I’m sitting next to you at the bar. I like pretty much everything but tequila. Haha

Well, if we ever sail together, I will make sure I’m sitting next to you at the bar. I like pretty much everything but tequila. Haha

Oh yeah, Tequila and me do not get along. Fine in a margarita (frozen) but I can't do straight tequila shots. Now, a Four Horsemen, that I can do.

(Shot - 1 part Jose Cuervo, 1 part Johnnie Walker, 1 part Jack Daniels, 1 part Jim Beam)

This is my standard response to the drink package question.....

Don't forget about the water! A bottle of water runs $2.50 in the ship. Grab a couple for an excursion or a couple for your cabin and the package easily becomes affordable.

Simple math.....

--- 2 bottles of water per day (with the package we tend to do 4 each) $ 5.00

--- 2 drinks at dinner (Wine, liquor, etc) @ $12/drink 24.00

--- 2 drinks during the day or evening @ $10/drink 20.00

--- 1 random beer @ $6 6.00

TOTAL $55.00

Now the math isn't exact or perfect, but it shows that its close enough for the casual drinker to at worst break even. But you also get the peace of mind to not have to worry about during the entire cruise. You want a drink...have a drink.

We got the package for $45/pp/day. I'd say 95% of the time you'll be able to find a drink package sale at that level or better before you sail. For our trip last February on Adventure OTS, we caught a sale for $38/pp/day

I tell my fellow travelers that its not worth fussing over +/- $5 a day. GET THE PACKAGE.

This seems like an evergreen topic.

My thought on it is simple, "do you drink?"

That's not "do you drink at all?" but it's also not "are you going to get drunk all the time?" It's "do you drink?" Because between a few alcoholic beverages over the course of a day, plus non-alcoholic beverages, you can easily exceed the package price without ever being drunk.

Let's say you have two drinks over the course of day. Then two glasses of wine with dinner. Add to that a few bottles of water, club sodas, or cokes during the day. In that case, get the package. And if you're adding an aperitif to that or a night-cap, it's even more clear-cut.

If "drink" to you is having a glass, maybe two, of wine at dinner and that's really it (and be honest with yourself), plus you don't want to grab bottled water, espresso drinks, and cokes during the day, then you're probably best served not doing the package.

If you don't drink at all for religious, medical, or addiction reasons, then obviously don't buy it. And do the math yourself on the refreshment package.

I enjoyed having the package on my 5 night cruise but am skipping it on my booked 9 nighter. It's just too much, both money wise and indulgence wise. I will budget for 2 drinks/day and be fine with that. We have 4 long port days so it's likely I won't drink at all those days. I don't drink soda and never used the specialty coffee or juice benefits when I did have the package. In fact, we came home with two sealed soda cups.

We had the package on our last 14 day cruise and we really enjoyed it, we did try things we had never had( martinis and mixed, that's how we got to liking jack honey lemonade lol) We never got drunk or even buzzed, but we did drink plenty of water too, one drink one water ratio. I will get it again for our 2018 cruise when the cyber monday hits next November...

BUT we would be drinking other things like fruit drinks, coffee, water, tea etc. and I presume all those would be included in the package right ?

The "non premium" version of these items is included at no charge. Plenty of drink stations with a rather good variety of hot tea, iced tea, lemonade, coffee, juices from concentrate, water, usually 2 or 3 different flavored waters.

Only you can determine if it is worth it to you. I think having the package drives people to drink more than they may do so otherwise, including non-alcoholic, sugary drinks, to try to break even on costs. Factor in things like port times and number of ports, your C&A status (do you have lounge access/drink coupons to use in evening), are you staying in a Suite with access to the suite lounge and on what ship?

I have had drink packages on other lines as part of booking promos and yes, it was nice to try some new drinks/cocktails out, but after 2 or 3 days I was pretty much over it. I just can't handle drinking as much as others so the package makes no sense for me. The included water and coffee are perfectly fine to me as well, no preference for premium versions.

At some point during most voyages they will sell a card good for 10 drinks that brings the price point to around $8.50 per drink (approx). however it is usually offered towards end of a cruise, not near the beginning.

Figure out your total cost for the package and if it appeals to you vs spending that money on other experiences (excursions, specialty dining, spa, etc.), not spending it at all, or if you would spend less just getting a few drinks in the evening. For some people its all about the freedom and not having to think about further costs, for some its about breaking even.

I think based on what I have read we would be best with a drinks package because my husband drinks a lot of water during the day and I am a coffee freak ! I drink about 5 or 6 coffees a day and would always have at least a couple of bottles of wateer a day too. My hubby likes 3 or 4 pints of beer a night, (never drinks shorts) but if there are only cans he will still drink the equivalent in cans. I like bottled lagers or Pils lagers if they have them and would drink about 3 large cans a night or equivalent in small cans. I also like the occasional Bacardi and coke or Brandy instead last thing at night if it is cold. Also if you are out on day trips during the day can't you take bottled water off the ship with you? Plus you are still on the ship in the evening when we do most of our drinking as you can see. I also like a glass of wine with my meals ! Does that make me an alchi ;p

I think probably based on the above, it may well be worth us buying a drinks package ;p

This is my standard response to the drink package question.....

Don't forget about the water! A bottle of water runs $2.50 in the ship. Grab a couple for an excursion or a couple for your cabin and the package easily becomes affordable.

Simple math.....

--- 2 bottles of water per day (with the package we tend to do 4 each) $ 5.00

--- 2 drinks at dinner (Wine, liquor, etc) @ $12/drink 24.00

--- 2 drinks during the day or evening @ $10/drink 20.00

--- 1 random beer @ $6 6.00

TOTAL $55.00

Now the math isn't exact or perfect, but it shows that its close enough for the casual drinker to at worst break even. But you also get the peace of mind to not have to worry about during the entire cruise. You want a drink...have a drink.

We got the package for $45/pp/day. I'd say 95% of the time you'll be able to find a drink package sale at that level or better before you sail. For our trip last February on Adventure OTS, we caught a sale for $38/pp/day

I tell my fellow travelers that its not worth fussing over +/- $5 a day. GET THE PACKAGE.

5 drinks a day to me isn’t being a casual drinker. I would be miserable by the end of the day and on day 3 I would have to stop entirely.

I won’t be getting the package. And I still get exactly what I want.

And if I got a drink that wasn’t to my taste I would either take another two drinks of it (which usually is enough to kill my tastebuds enough so it’s palatable) or chat with the bartender about it.