Trouble in Honduras, diversion

1ed007

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody knew if there will be trouble going into Roatan? Wondering if the political unrest will cause a change to the intinerary?

Any and all information would be appreciated.

You may be better off asking your cruise company what their thoughts are.

The threads on the Trip Advisor Roatan forum say there was no unrest do to elections on Roatan.

We were in Roatan a few days ago, I believe it was the day after the election. It seems that a local guy from Roatan is now the President elect so the locals were pretty happy. There was alot of extra security / police around but I didn't see anything that looked dangerous or abnormal.

I heard the 6am-6pmcurfew was lifted yesterday.

The old president wasn’t eager to leave despite a new one being elected. Things have remained calm so it was lifted.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The information above is not entirely accurate. If one is travelling to Honduras in the coming days or weeks, it's advisable to check regularly with the US State Department for up-to-date travel advisories as well with your travel provider.

The 6 pm - 6 am curfew remains in effect throughout Honduras, and the curfew is expected to last a total of 10 days. The election results had not yet been certified by the Honduran election commission as of this evening (Monday evening). Therefore, no official result of the election has been announced. The current vote count, which is based on 99%+ of the votes being counted, puts the incumbent rightest president slightly ahead of the opposition, with the leftist opposition continuing to protest the vote based on claimed voting irregularities.

Violent political protests including looting and roadblocks continue to occur in various parts of the country with a response by the police. At least one civilian life has been lost in the protests.

While this does not necessarily mean that tourists to Honduras are under any direct threat, it's possible that cruise lines may be reluctant to call on the mainland (i.e., Banana Coast/Trujillo) due to the current political unrest. As Roatan may be subject to less political risk, stops there may be less impacted, but I'm not in a position to say with certainty. Several U.S. airlines have announced that fliers to Honduras are permitted to cancel their tickets and receive refunds without penalty, and that may provide some insight into how other travel providers such as cruise lines will react to the unrest in the near term.

Obviously it's best to check with your travel provider / cruise line directly if you will be traveling to Honduras anytime soon.

The information above is not entirely accurate. If one is travelling to Honduras in the coming days or weeks, it's advisable to check regularly with the US State Department for up-to-date travel advisories as well with your travel provider.

The 6 pm - 6 am curfew remains in effect throughout Honduras, and the curfew is expected to last a total of 10 days. The election results had not yet been certified by the Honduran election commission as of this evening (Monday evening). Therefore, no official result of the election has been announced. The current vote count, which is based on 99%+ of the votes being counted, puts the incumbent rightest president slightly ahead of the opposition, with the leftist opposition continuing to protest the vote based on claimed voting irregularities.

Violent political protests including looting and roadblocks continue to occur in various parts of the country with a response by the police. At least one civilian life has been lost in the protests.

While this does not necessarily mean that tourists to Honduras are under any direct threat, it's possible that cruise lines may be reluctant to call on the mainland (i.e., Banana Coast/Trujillo) due to the current political unrest. As Roatan may be subject to less political risk, stops there may be less impacted, but I'm not in a position to say with certainty. Several U.S. airlines have announced that fliers to Honduras are permitted to cancel their tickets and receive refunds without penalty, and that may provide some insight into how other travel providers such as cruise lines will react to the unrest in the near term.

Obviously it's best to check with your travel provider / cruise line directly if you will be traveling to Honduras anytime soon.

It is rare that what happens on the mainland of Honduras has any impact at all on Roatan. The State Department warning is for the country as a whole and mostly applies to the mainland. It is similar to issuing a warning for New York and saying that the same issues in the city are happening in Buffalo.