Antarctica Live On Board

galeforce9

Yes Julie. Unfortunately my gloves were wet, from the pogies dangling in the water (I wasn’t using them) but they told me to then move them to the middle of the kayak so they dropped water everywhere. So I recommend ask for a paddle with no pogies (there were some). The problem is once I had wet gloves, once you’ve picked the cloth up it’s wet and salty against the lens for a following use.

I’ve found with my pics you’ll want a shutter speed of 1/1000 or higher and an f stop of around 8-11 for best effect. I had iso set between 100 and 400 as it was quite bright. Any lower f stop (largeraperture) you’ll tend to get only some penguins in groups in perfect focus as the depth of field isn’t great enough, even if they appear to be in line. I found even with landscapes, which I’d usually shoot at f16, they were better at about f9.

I didn’t find it too rocky but you have to be quite stable. I was taking with one hand and supporting the paddle in my other. I usually use that one under my camera to avoid camera shake

I picked a wide angle lens as I thought this would be better to pick more icebergs all around us up and kayaks. I then suffered though as we came upon the most photogenic gentoo on an iceberg who just stared at us and called. I couldn’t zoom in enough but eventually others dropped back, we got our turn at the front and we could see it ok.

7bfc8b46bd85ebf8388cbab8541ba50e.jpg

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Really nice pic. Thanks for all the information!

Dear all,

We have never been on an Antarctic cruise but it is definitely on my list, and hopefuly one day we will get the opportunity.

Our son is booked to fly to Antarctica at the end of this year and will be doing Kayaking etc, so I will be sure to tell him of this thread for useful info.

I also think the comments about the stewards getting ashore etc were very considerate, and worth remembering on other cruises ie we are about to go on a B2B in the Caribbean and from time to time, we typically tell the steward to just give us clean towels and we are happy at that.

My thanks to everyone for such an interesting and informative read.

Regards

Ron.

Hi Galeforce,

I'm a novice compared to you re photography skills and knowledge of cameras. I do classes but the information seems to have trouble sticking in the memory.

I agree about the pogies being awkward. I tried them once but I found pulling my hands in and out and water dripping everywhere very frustrating. I had brought an old pair of thin leather gloves and fingerless paddling gloves. With that combination I found it worked well in Alaska and am hoping it will work for Antarctica. I always asked for no pogies after that first time and they would take them off for me.

Julie

Yesterday while playing bridge my wife met a professional landscape photographer who has made many trips to Antarctica. Here is what he told me

He rarely used his wide angle lens but his zoom had sufficient wide capability

200 mm is sufficient focal length

If staying on the ship a tripod is advisable

Yesterday while playing bridge my wife met a professional landscape photographer who has made many trips to Antarctica. Here is what he told me

Sorry but I disagree. Wide angle is essential ashore to capture the extensive scenery. 16mm to 400mm served me well. Tripods arent any use if it is windy or the ship is moving.

I said a zoom with wide angle capacity

As opposed to a dedicated wide angle lens

I am only reporting what was said by a professional photographer. Everyone can make a choice based on all the recommendations

When the ship is not moving and you have a big heavy telephoto lens mounted on your camera I would guess a tripod would be useful

I said a zoom with wide angle capacity

As opposed to a dedicated wide angle lens

I am only reporting what was said by a professional photographer. Everyone can make a choice based on all the recommendations

When the ship is not moving and you have a big heavy telephoto lens mounted on your camera I would guess a tripod would be useful

The professional photographer on my Antarctic cruise used a beanbag for stability rather than a tripod. They used the tripod on land, however.

My standard lens is 17mm - 55mm which was sufficient for 90% of the photos I took in the Antarctic and especially those taken on land.

I also have a 10mm-24mm but found that I used it relatively little.

I found that my 55mm-300mm telephoto was insufficient for most of the longer range photos of wildlife taken from the ship. Put simply, the ship cannot get close enough for 300mm to work. The same was true in Alaska when trying to photograph Grizzlies. That is why I am looking at acquiring the Nikon 200mm-500mm.

A tripod is handy on land. I have a very good portable one made by MeFoto. On the ship, the professionals used bean bags for stability rather than a tripod.

We have a 150-600 that I plan to use on the ship. It’s pretty heavy. Tripod might be best option. We will likely also bring beanbag

We acquired the 150-600 for our second safAri after finding a 300mm wasn’t enough for birds or leopards in trees

We have a 150-600 that I plan to use on the ship. It’s pretty heavy. Tripod might be best option. We will likely also bring beanbag

We acquired the 150-600 for our second safAri after finding a 300mm wasn’t enough for birds or leopards in trees

If that is the Tamron 150-600, I had a look at one in our local camera shop. Nice piece of kit but fairly bulky and heavy. The Nikon 200-500 is about the same size and just a few ounces lighter. Still, well worth it for a cruise where wildlife is front and center.

I have been working through the reviews of both lenses but haven't yet decided which one to go with.

If that is the Tamron 150-600, I had a look at one in our local camera shop. Nice piece of kit but fairly bulky and heavy. The Nikon 200-500 is about the same size and just a few ounces lighter. Still, well worth it for a cruise where wildlife is front and center.

I have been working through the reviews of both lenses but haven't yet decided which one to go with.

Ours is a sigma. Great lens

Gayleforce,

What an amazing photo. In the vein of the proof is in the pudding, you only need to look at that photo to know that when it comes to photography you know what you are talking about. Even if the penguin were not in the photo it would be wonderful - but with it is extraordinary. I definitely think you should enter it in CC’s photo contest - beats many of the winners they just posted.

For those who might be intimidated by all of their “expert” fellow passenger photographers and their equipment please know that Antarctica is such a scenic “embarrassment of riches” that even with a modest bridge camera you can still take some very good photos. The key is patience and persistence.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I must be brain dead

Ours is the tamron 150/600

A very nice lens. I am leaning towards the Nikon but adding the 1.4 converter to the mix. I read reviews of people already using this combo and they came back pretty positive. A more expensive choice but I have been very happy with the Nikon lenses I already own.

A very nice lens. I am leaning towards the Nikon but adding the 1.4 converter to the mix. I read reviews of people already using this combo and they came back pretty positive. A more expensive choice but I have been very happy with the Nikon lenses I already own.

Nikon lenses are our preference as well. But we decided this 150/600 lens would not get enough use to justify getting the Nikon. We used for our second safAri, will use in Antarctica and we are planning a 3rd safAri. That’s about it

This thread has been fascinating. We were in Antarctica in 2007 on the Prinsendam (that trip we started with Machu Picchu and finished with Iguazu Falls) and despite hurricane conditions and hours and hours of 45 foot seas during our first trip through the Drake passage (we had to return to Ushuaia due to the loss of most of our dishes and glassware and other stuff -and then went back down to Antarctica) it was our best cruise ever. Prinsendam was fine - just its contents jostled about ...

We are currently booked on the Prinsendam for January, 2019 from Fort Lauderdale to Buenos Aires but thought before we get too set on what we want we should "shop" a bit for alternatives.

All I can say about this thread is WOW - it has us thinking outside of our box. Definitely two completely different products but I am intrigued.

My question: what is it like getting in and out of the zodiacs? We are in our late sixties and wondering if we can handle that or have we missed this boat? Would appreciate a good description of this process.

This thread has been fascinating. We were in Antarctica in 2007 on the Prinsendam (that trip we started with Machu Picchu and finished with Iguazu Falls) and despite hurricane conditions and hours and hours of 45 foot seas during our first trip through the Drake passage (we had to return to Ushuaia due to the loss of most of our dishes and glassware and other stuff -and then went back down to Antarctica) it was our best cruise ever. Prinsendam was fine - just its contents jostled about ...

We are currently booked on the Prinsendam for January, 2019 from Fort Lauderdale to Buenos Aires but thought before we get too set on what we want we should "shop" a bit for alternatives.

All I can say about this thread is WOW - it has us thinking outside of our box. Definitely two completely different products but I am intrigued.

My question: what is it like getting in and out of the zodiacs? We are in our late sixties and wondering if we can handle that or have we missed this boat? Would appreciate a good description of this process.

Could not have been easier or better organized. In fact, it was easier than some of the transfers to the tenders. They had three steps hanging off the tender platform. Taught us the way to grasp the people helping and there were three or four on the platform and the zodiac driver on the zodiac. Also they put a stem on the bottom of the zodiac. We went one or two steps on the stairs on the platform holding the hand rails on each side. We passed anything we were holding to one of the people on the platform who passed it to the driver who gave it back to us once we were safely on the floor of the zodiac. We took the hand of the person on the platform with one hand then reached for the zodiac driver both males and females, put one food on the inflatable side of the zodiac and then stepped on the step on the zodiac and then to the floor of the zodiac. We were then directed to one side or the other to keep the zodiac fairly level and sat down on the inflatable side of the zodiac and scooted to the rear of the zodiac.

Reverse the process on the way up to the platform. Could not have been easier and believe people into their eighties or older as well as overweight and skinny people did it every day and don't believe we had even one person fall.

You will do just fine and no worries.

A few questions for the veterans here

Any good reason to take a bathing suit?

Would an insulated mug come in handy?

Are Chilean pesos required in Chile or can we make do with usd and credit cards?

I have read a lot about the peso vs usd situation in Argentina. Did you exchange money? At atms? Are the taxis still pulling the bill swap scam? Last time we were there it was rampant

A few questions for the veterans here

Any good reason to take a bathing suit?

Pool will be open near San Antonio and Buenos Aires. Hot tubs open entire cruise

Would an insulated mug come in handy?

We didnt' need one as if your drink gets too warm or cold, there is always another near by.

Are Chilean pesos required in Chile or can we make do with usd and credit cards?

Didn't get any foreign currency our entire cruise from Miami to San Antonio YMMV but, we did fine with USD and credit cards

I have read a lot about the peso vs usd situation in Argentina. Did you exchange money? At atms? Are the taxis still pulling the bill swap scam? Last time we were there it was rampant

Only spent the day of change over in Buenos Aires and was inundated with the yelling of Cambio, Cambio trying to get people into back rooms for assume black market exchanges. It was rampant in downtown BA. Had no need to exchange as they took plastic everywhere. In Ushuaia, plastic worked fine and didn't see or hear the black marketeers.

See responses within your quote

Speaking of BA scams: We were slimed in BA yesterday but unlike in India it wasn’t feces so we laughed it off and went to the nearest McD’s to clean up!! No problem for us with that scam (assuming it comes out of my pants when I launder them!). It’s not letting me post the pictures of the back of my husband’s black polo shirt (that he took off and washed at McD’s) or the back of my khaki pants...