Antarctica Live On Board

galeforce9

The ship to shore boots, whilst expensive, are very warm and provide great traction, which is essential. I’d definitely buy some just to use at home but glad I didn’t have to pack them this time and bring them all this way. I think the brand is Boggs

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I found gloves with sticky grips really useful with a thin under pair. I learnt my lesson on the first day when I took pictures with no gloves. I ended up with chapped knuckles that are still sore and have been bleeding a bit, even though it didn’t feel that cold. So just be careful. It is possible, with the right gloves to leave them on and have full capability for picture taking.

I used a camera gear cover to keep my equipment dry in snow and whilst kayaking. It worked a treat. The brand was storm jacket and I believe it’s used by tv cameramen and wildlife photographers. Other people were asking me about it whilst ashore and writing the details down.

The ship to shore boots, whilst expensive, are very warm and provide great traction, which is essential. I’d definitely buy some just to use at home but glad I didn’t have to pack them this time and bring them all this way. I think the brand is Boggs

Were these boots provided by Seabourn? I would appreciate it if you could summarize the clothing/equipment provided by Seabourn.

How many times were you able to get ashore?

Thanks!

The boots can be rented for $50 and on our cruise most passengers did this.

Seabourn provides a two piece parka with a black puffer and an orange hooded shell with spacious pockets. They also provide a small back pack and a black knit hat with a penguin on it.

All other gear you will want to purchase and bring with you.

The boots can be rented for $50 and on our cruise most passengers did this.

Seabourn provides a two piece parka with a black puffer and an orange hooded shell with spacious pockets. They also provide a small back pack and a black knit hat with a penguin on it.

All other gear you will want to purchase and bring with you.

Thanks Chairsin. The boots were around $75 this year.

Galeforce9, I have so enjoyed your thread. Your last comments on clothing and equipment were especially helpful. We have worked ourselves almost into a frenzy over a cruise such as yours, but 2018 is already booked and we will have to wait to see what 2019 has to offer. You sound as if you have the same problem that I always have when a Seabourn cruise ends, that is where to hide on board so that you do not ever have to leave. A quick tip: being dragged by the heels from behind the engine room generator is a bit painful and somewhat undignified. But maybe worth a shot.

Oh my they increased the price. Thanks for correcting me. Personally even with the increase I would rent them again just to save the weight and space in my luggage.

I’m sorry you missed Ushuaia and that you suffered through some of the Drake’s worst. Hopefully you will have smooth sailing through Glacier Alley.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this thread keeps going for 2017-18 as a one stop shop for Antarctic queries and reports, like the Alaska one earlier this year. I found that one invaluable.

Currently there is a lot of useful information and insight into Seabourn in Antarctica but it is in different places, so it is sometimes difficult for people to find.

Anyway, to reinvigorate the thread, here is a link to an extremely good film, kindly provided by Seabourn to its guests on the first Antarctic cruise of the season, made for Seabourn by Aliscia Young and Richard Sidey. I hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed the cruise!

I hope this thread keeps going for 2017-18 as a one stop shop for Antarctic queries and reports, like the Alaska one earlier this year. I found that one invaluable.

Currently there is a lot of useful information and insight into Seabourn in Antarctica but it is in different places, so it is sometimes difficult for people to find.

Anyway, to reinvigorate the thread, here is a link to an extremely good film, kindly provided by Seabourn to its guests on the first Antarctic cruise of the season, made for Seabourn by Aliscia Young and Richard Sidey. I hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed the cruise!

Thank you for posting the link to Richard Sidey's wonderful video, Galeforce9. Some amazing drone footage and shots of the wildlife.

We were on the same first of the season cruise in 2014, and quite a few of the landing sites were the same.

Half Moon Island had more snow when we were there, otherwise very similar.

We'll have to return :)

Thank you for posting the link to Richard Sidey's wonderful video, Galeforce9. Some amazing drone footage and shots of the wildlife.

We were on the same first of the season cruise in 2014, and quite a few of the landing sites were the same.

Half Moon Island had more snow when we were there, otherwise very similar.

We'll have to return :)

Thanks SKP946! I thought the film was extremely high quality and a wonderful memento. It’s interesting to compare isn’t it? If other passengers later in the season could also post links, if they receive a film too, perhaps we can illustrate the different experiences in terms of landscape and wildlife activity/ places accessible.

I am currently on the Quest. I thought I had done a good job of understanding what I needed to bring. However, one thing that I should have brought and did not were handkerchiefs for my runny nose on the landings. They do not want you to bring Kleenex tissues with you to Antarctica since they can easily blow away. So, make sure you have plenty of handkerchiefs or can wash them every day. Also, my husband and I purchased bird/sea-life and Antarctica map books and we ended up being given two (one of each per cabin). So, you don’t need to bring or buy any Antarctica books. Bushnell binoculars are also lent, one per cabin. And, I should’ve realized that the ship itself would be cold and drafty. I did not bring shoes to be worn on the ship with thick socks and I should have. I wish I would’ve brought my hiking boots with me for on the ship as well as for our ports of call. My mesh tennis shoes just aren’t warm enough! Here’s a photo of the two books that are given to each cabin. 2629a59d694ac29c161602eddb52b139.jpg

I second that about the walking boots. Mine came in very useful. They were also handy for other stops such as the Falklands and the tour from Puerto montt. I spent many hours on deck and it was blustery and cold, so toasty feet were essential!

We also invested in a pair of crocs following a previous year’s thread. Not the most elegant footwear but I have to say they were a revelation. Very comfy for getting to the club wearing thick socks and back again. They also came in around the pool and for using the jacuzzis down in Antarctica.

Finally on books. We also had the lonely planet Antarctica book with us, which they also sold at the shop onboard. I thought it gave some additional information and wasn’t too big to take.

Ladyvol1 - would welcome any further advice or news of your cruise. I hope you got out of Ushuaia not too far behind schedule after the medical issue. I’d love to know where you land and how you find it and relive all my memories. I can’t stop watching the film they gave us - see my link above- and showing family and friends!

I too am on Quest now. I do not agree that the lounges, cabins and dining rooms are at all cold or draughty. Why would they be? The staff, like me and most people it would seem, are happy enough going about their business in normal winter wear as you would in Europe or much or North America this month.

Anyway, there are some passengers in shorts and others in sweaters. I am safely in the middle and can easily handle a brisk crossing of 8 deck and a walk about decks 5 and 10. And it’s now 40 f or 3 c outside.

Happy and gealthy sailing!

I too am on Quest now. I do not agree that the lounges, cabins and dining rooms are at all cold or draughty. Why would they be? The staff, like me and most people it would seem, are happy enough going about their business in normal winter wear as you would in Europe or much or North America this month.

Anyway, there are some passengers in shorts and others in sweaters. I am safely in the middle and can easily handle a brisk crossing of 8 deck and a walk about decks 5 and 10. And it’s now 40 f or 3 c outside.

Happy and gealthy sailing!

I’d be very happy with an outside temp of 3c in Antarctica! Much of North America is in sub zero right now so Antartica is looking mild in comparison. We are enjoying the Caribbean in Nevis with a lovely trade wind and 30c right now [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes there are passengers in shorts as well as passengers covered from head to toe. I find that the Deck 6 Grand Salon seems to blow cold air on my head and neck regardless of where I sit so I wish I would have brought warmer clothing. Markham is right that people are happy. I’m happy but find certain areas cold like the Grand Salon, the hallway outside the forward entrance to The Restaurant and The Grill by Thomas Keller and I wished I would have brought warmer footwear since if I get cold feet, my entire body feels cold. It’s my fault, not Seabourn’s.

Bushnell 7x35. And they worked for me this morning to see ~10 porpoising penguins very near our ship including one that turned on its back and pooped in the water leaving a white cloud behind it!

It’s snowing and 32 degrees and the first of five groups has been called for its landing. The noon kayaking has been cancelled.

5f65bd90b239db4c87b69ac141d417e3.jpg

ad0ab45eddd28624c0cff5f46fb4437f.jpg