Royal Princess or Celebrity Eclipse

cocacola86

We’ve only been on Carnival three times, so I’m curious between the two lines. Looking at the celebrity eclipse leaving from Vancouver and going to LA with stops in Victoria, O/N in San Francisco, Santa Barbara and LA. This is October 13,2019 which is our Anniversary, the cost for an interior is 2,198 cdn.

The other one on is princess starting in LA, San Diego O/N in San Francisco, Seattle and than to Vancouver but in May 2019 on the Royal Princess an interior is 2,335.02 cdn.

What does Celebrity and Princess do well, how’re the foods on each lines, entertainment, activities, and if we go with Celebrity is there any good restaurants for our anniversary. What is the dress code for each line, how is the spa area and how much is it for a week, for the aqua spa and for princess. If you book princess online can you add the airfare through Princess same with Celebrity’s.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have done cruises on both lines including the Royal. We have not been on the Eclipse but have sailed her sister ships.

We like both lines. The cabin on X are larger than insides on P. Both ships have good specialty restaurants for the anniversary. The price on X is now higher. I really like the buffet on the Royal. Drink prices on X are now higher. P's drink package is better unless you get the premium on X. Lots of people like the Martini Bar on X. I don't like martinis so not my thing. Dress code is similar for both as are the spas.

We’ve only been on Carnival three times, so I’m curious between the two lines. Looking at the celebrity eclipse leaving from Vancouver and going to LA with stops in Victoria, O/N in San Francisco, Santa Barbara and LA. This is October 13,2019 which is our Anniversary, the cost for an interior is 2,198 cdn.

The other one on is princess starting in LA, San Diego O/N in San Francisco, Seattle and than to Vancouver but in May 2019 on the Royal Princess an interior is 2,335.02 cdn.

What does Celebrity and Princess do well, how’re the foods on each lines, entertainment, activities, and if we go with Celebrity is there any good restaurants for our anniversary. What is the dress code for each line, how is the spa area and how much is it for a week, for the aqua spa and for princess. If you book princess online can you add the airfare through Princess same with Celebrity’s.

Here is a little information about Princess

DR food is good, no need to book specialty restaurants, but there are some nice ones.

Royal has two Crown Grill $29/pp, and Sabatini's $25/pp. Both are nice. There is also a Crab Shack some evenings, $29/pp

You can also book some special dining experiences such as the Chef's table, Wine Maker's Dinner and Balcony Dining. These have higher prices.

You may enjoy the afternoon tea, free most days. A special tea is served on formal days. This has a charge.

A Princess 7 day cruise has 2 formal nights and 5 smart casual nights. The formal nights are for the DR's. Specialty restaurants are smart casual every night.

Princess has EZ Air. Once you book your cruise you go on line in your cruise personlizer and select flights and air carriers that meet your requirements. It works similar to any on line travel site.

The Thermal Suite is something in the area of $150 for a week, but don't quote me on that.

Princess has activities all day and evening, lots of trivia during the day and some other games in the evening.

Each evening there will be either a production show or guest entertainer in the theater, and there can also be entertainers in the Vista Lounge. There is also lots of live music around the ship in the Piazza, Crooner's, Wheelhouse Bar, and a DJ late evening in Club 6. Lots of dancing in the Piazza.

In addition to the DR's, free dining on the Royal includes:

The International Cafe oen 24/7

Alfredo's, waiter served, open 11am to late evening

The largest and best buffet on any Princess ship, open 6am to late evening, never closes.

The Trident Grill and Prego Pizza by the Lido pool, open 11am to late evening

Room Service

Hope this helps.

How does the O/N work can you come and go as you please does the ship stay in port the whole time

I'm guessing O/N means OverNight?

If so, you can come and go as you like the entire time as you like. The gangway will be open the entire time.

You could stay in port overnight if you like, at a hotel or friends house, etc. As long as you're back onboard by the appropriate time on the departure day, you're good to go.

How is the overall space, pool area, is it crowded or is there enough space for everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've sailed both ships, several times. We find pool decks fairly comparable, but prefer Princess somewhat - mainly as we're not big fans of the enclosed adult pool area in Celebrity vs ooen adult pool in Royal. The Celebrity solarium pool usually has a string chlorine smell and, to me at least, feels a bit claustrophobic. It's also a main walk-through area from elevators to pool or pool to spa, so people are walking back and forth all day, adding a little extra hustle and bustle vs Royal's Retreat Pool, which is pretty quiet, the only folks walking through are in the way to/from the Sanctuary..

The main pool in Royal also has excellent t grill and pizza on one end, much wider selections than Celebrity's grill, and open longer hours (till 10 and night, with additional night menu options), the Movies Under the Star big screen which is fun for an afternoon or night-time movie, etc. Plenty of chairs on the two decks on either ship..

Would the price on Celebrity include a drink package? Even if it didn't, I'd pick Celebrity over Princess. Unless you pick wisely, you'll get a balcony made for a smurf on Princess.

EDIT...reread..you're looking at an interior. See what the price difference would be for an oceanview where you can get drinks included.

We’ve only been on Carnival three times, so I’m curious between the two lines.

Princess and Celebrity are comparable lines. They cater to similar demographics, and in many ways, are more alike than different.

That said, they each do some things better than the others - which if course, is wildly subjective and based in people's opinions.

In our option, having sailed both lines extensively, and both ships you're comparing several times each, here's our take:

Celebrity does specialty restaurants better, but they're much more expensive than Princess. Princes has a better steakhouse, while Celebrity has better variety and better true fine dining - in specialty restaurants. But - much more expensive on Celebrity.

For an anniversary, on Celebrity we'd do Murano. Just spectacular fine dining. On Princess, we'd do Ultimate Balcony Dinner, hands down. We'd choose this over Murano if anything similar was offered on Celebrity. UBD is served in privacy of your own balcony, with two uniformed weight staff, 4 course meal, served course by course, you get a half bottle French champagne, welcome cocktail of choice, flower arrangement to keep, photographer takes several photos and you keep one - and the meal is excellent. Crab cakes, goat cheese and pear salad, filet and lobster, special chocolate mousse dessert. There's also petit fours afterwards, specialty coffee to finish up if you want, etc. Menu can be customized as needed. All for $100. Sane price as Murano for two - but way more private and intimate, and you get the flowers and photo to remember.

Main dining room. - Princess gets the nod here. Quieter dining rooms, better foid overall, a little better selection..

Buffet - pretty comparable. Celebrity has more cooked to order, Princess had bigger and wider selections (this is basically only true on Royal class ships) Also, Royal's buffet is open continuously from 6am - 11pm while Celebrity's buffet is closed in between breakfast and lunch and between lunch and dinner, etc.

One big difference is room service. We vastly prefer Princess, even with a slightly smaller menu, as it's free 24/7 vs Celebrity with their multiple upcharge items, and they're surcharge if $5 and order between midnight and 5 or 6 am. Celebrity also has no food venue available after 12 or so, while Princess has the International Cafe, which offers a variety if food ootions 24/7 from breakfast pasties and sandwiches in the morning to salads, soups and sandwiches all day/evening along with cheeses and crackers, fresh baked cookies and variety of small desserts. So, after shutting down the dancing at 2 or 3 in Royal, we cab grab a small bite to eat, or order room service with no fees versus Celebrity where we'd have to pay $5 for room service, or skip it totally. Small problems, I know - but important to some of us...

Dress code - we prefer Celebrity's, but adhere to Princess when onboard. Celebrity does not have formal nights anymore. They have smart casual and Evening Chic, which give the option to dress up as much as you like, or go for a more stylish current chic look of slacks and sport coat, or no coat or such, ladies in dresses or slacks and blouse or whatnot Princess still has formal nights and most people follow the guidelines in suits or tuxes, and cocktail dresses or gowns. They're more casual than they used to be, and slacks with sport coat is not turned away - but it's "against the rules". Lol. No shorts for men in dining room for dinner on either line, and it's enforced - main - on both.

Spa/Steam rooms - Celebrity Eclipse still has free sauna in locker rooms. Royal does not. The Persian Garden on Eclipse is no comparison to the Enclave on Royal. Persian garden has one steam room and one sauna with 8 or so tile loungers. The Enclave has large hydro pool with several different water massage areas, and 4 different steam and saunas, along with 8 tile loungers and two Aqua beds. Price is similar between the two. We no longer buy Persian Garden, but get the Enclave most times we're aboard Royal.

We find more to do aboard Royal/Princess in general, especially things that don't cost money. More live music, and more live music later at night. More nighttime activites, things that last till midnight. Celebrity has some activites, more than involve selling or cost a small fee, but plenty of free things. Celebrity officers interact with guests more, although not by choice - it's part of their duties, ie officer vs guest pool volleyball or "dancing with the Officers", etc. They have designated "walk through" hours where they have to be visible around the ship.. Some people love this about Celebrity vs Princess, personally - we could care less. As long as the ship is running smoothly - that's what matters to us with regards to the officers!!

Overall, we find Princess more laid back overall onboard and crew a little more friendly and interactive naturally. Celebrity offers a slightly more upscale, quiet atmosphere with crew a little less friendly and interactive overall.

Both have their own airfare programs, we've never used it as neither recognizes our airport/departure city or country for that matter. Lol..

Hope that helps.. They're both beautiful ships with lots on offer. I'm sure you'd enjoy either.

We’re not big into seafood, so could you substitute it for something else

If you're asking about the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, maybe you missed where I noted the menu can be customized - especially due to food allergies or strong dislikes. Ie my husband doesn't eat shellfish, so he got two filets, and also has opted for a ribeye instead. My friend doesn't eat meat, so relieved three lobster tails instead. And so on..

Would the price on Celebrity include a drink package? Even if it didn't, I'd pick Celebrity over Princess. Unless you pick wisely, you'll get a balcony made for a smurf on Princess.

EDIT...reread..you're looking at an interior. See what the price difference would be for an oceanview where you can get drinks included.

I'm curious as to why people are really critical of balconies. On our recent cruise we had one as an upgrade and didn't even really spend much time on it; most people don't seem to either.

I'm curious as to why people are really critical of balconies. On our recent cruise we had one as an upgrade and didn't even really spend much time on it; most people don't seem to either.

We spend a ton of time out there. To each their own, why pay for something that you won't use? I spend my sea days out there, relaxing and reading. I have always booked larger sized balconies..ie..Caribe Deck or aft on the older Princess ships. or 1a or FVs on Celebrity and aren't about to stop now.

I don’t think a drink package would be right for us unless it’s included. We mostly drink pop, I would rather spend the money on an interior and save the extra for other things. I looked on the princess site and another online TA exp.... was more expensive.

I don’t think a drink package would be right for us unless it’s included. We mostly drink pop, I would rather spend the money on an interior and save the extra for other things. I looked on the princess site and another online TA exp.... was more expensive.

Celebrity includes it but not for insides. OV and above. If you don't drink alcohol though, its a non factor

How is the overall space, pool area, is it crowded or is there enough space for everyone

Doing a Pacific Coastal you won't be spending much time at an outside pool. I wouldn't even factor that in. Maybe a day in or around San Diego or the day you're in LA. Everyone we've done and it's a few, it's been windy and chilly.

The Sanctuary on Princess is a paid area. You can rent a chair by the day or for a little cheaper day rate by the cruise. The Indoor Adult Solarium on Celebrity is free.

We usually drink about one or two a day. So the Sanctuary be like Carnivals serenity? And the Lotus spa be like Carnivals spa area with the thalostherapy pool?

The Sanctuary is somewhat like Carnival's Serenity deck, with some big differences. The Sanctuary is a fee area, you reserve a specific lounger, includes afternoon tea if there in afternoon, lounger service for drinks and Food, cold citrus waters, etc. It's first come first served for reservations - you pick your specific lounger.

The Lotus Spa is the spa itself, for massages, facials, salon, etc. The Enclave is a section if the Lotus Spa, available only to those who book a pass, and includes the hydro pool, and steam/sauna rooms, etc.

Sorry never mind, how often does princess have reduced deposits

Both Princess and Celebrity have Coca-Cola products

Reduced deposit sales vary.. Sometimes a few during the year, sometimes not.. You just have keep an eye out for them, and for the booking details, ie sometimes the reduced deposit is non-refundable, etc.