Manhattan Dress Code

gmbhardy

I can understand having a dress code in one of the specialt restaurants on each ship (Ocean Blue, Bayamo, Le Bistro) but not in a MDR. It really does contradict their free style cruising concept "do what you want, when you want". But at the end of the day, I just want to know what to wear.

The big ships have three main dining rooms all with the same menu, they elect to make one a little fancier. It is not a big deal.

We were on the Escape in Sept of this year and then on Epic in November. On Escape you could wear shorts in the Manhattan Dining Room but on Epic you were supposed to wear long pants.

It would be nice if there was some consistency between the ships within NCL. Having been on GA (twice) and Escape before we were on the Epic, we were surprised when a waiter on the bar side of O’Sheehans told us he couldn’t wait on us because the hostess did not seat us (and there were several empty tables and no line at the hostess stand on the restaurant side of the ship).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Shorts WERE allowed in the Manhattan Room on the BA and the Escape last time I was there.
This past summer, I saw someone wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops in Manhattan on Epic. Everyone else was dressed appropriately.

This past summer, I saw someone wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops in Manhattan on Epic. Everyone else was dressed appropriately.

My post you quoted was based upon what was printed in the Freestyle Dailies, and not what I observed. I don't pay a single bit of attention to what other people are wearing.

I kind of wish one of the venues had an old school cruise ship dress code. Jackets every night and dark suit/black tie one night.
I have a feeling you would be pretty much dining alone. I'd say only a handful of men actually want to pack a suit anymore. I know my husband always hated doing that. It's a vacation and to those who wear suits to work all week long having to wear one on a vacation is annoying. That said, there's no stopping anyone who wants to do so.

Why would you wear shorts down to dinner? Maybe in the buffet! We dressed up as supposed to be mandatory in Le Bistro on the Spirit, and there were lots of men in jeans and t-shirts/polo shirts. When you’ve made an effort, you feel like bopping them on the nose! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because it’s vacation. I️ wear a suit and tie to work every day so on vacation that’s the last thing I️ want to do. It’s one thing if it were a 5 star restaurant on land but the restaurants on a cruise ship are far from that. That being said I️ hardly ever wear shorts. Mostly jeans and T-shirt’s.

Because it’s vacation. I️ wear a suit and tie to work every day so on vacation that’s the last thing I️ want to do. It’s one thing if it were a 5 star restaurant on land but the restaurants on a cruise ship are far from that. That being said I️ hardly ever wear shorts. Mostly jeans and T-shirt’s.

I just followed the rules, as stated on the menu etc. Suit and tie would be overdoing it but watch out for that bop on the hooter if I see you in jeans and sloppy t-shirt in Le Bistro! x

I just followed the rules, as stated on the menu etc. Suit and tie would be overdoing it but watch out for that bop on the hooter if I see you in jeans and sloppy t-shirt in Le Bistro! x

I never said sloppy t-shirt. However the one time I️ did go to Le Bistro I️ wore a polo shirt. I didn’t like the food so You wont catch me in Le Bistro anymore. Besides the post was specifically talking about Manhattan Room.

You are allowed to wear jeans in Le Bistro.

Nowhere in the rules does it state "no jeans" in Le Bistro. I can't imagine spending any of my time assessing what others have on. I can't ever remember noticing. I am too busy focused on our own table and our own good time.

It’s strange, isn’t it, that when so much on NCL ships is so inconsistent, there is so much confusion about whether Jeans are allowed in certain restaurants.

The rule is so simple. Jeans are allowed in every restaurant on every NCL ship. No exceptions or inconsistencies, other than the need for them to be “smart”. However it seems to confuse many people.

The rule is so simple. Jeans are allowed in every restaurant on every NCL ship. No exceptions or inconsistencies, other than the need for them to be “smart”. However it seems to confuse many people.

Even when people agree on jeans, there's the "...my jeans have a few holes/slashes by design....are they allowed?" questions.:D

• 2 weeks later...
Nowhere in the rules does it state "no jeans" in Le Bistro. I can't imagine spending any of my time assessing what others have on. I can't ever remember noticing. I am too busy focused on our own table and our own good time.

I agree. But where does it state Jeans allowed? I find that 9 times out of 10 jeans are casual wear. You can dress them up by wearing shirt, tie and jacket. Also smart shoes not trainers.

So, apart from choosing, eating and enjoying the moment, we also lift our eyes up to savour the atmosphere. I don’t stare at people while they’re eating, I just noticed what people were wearing as part of the learning process as I’d never used the restaurant before.

Sorry if you were offended by that.

I agree. But where does it state Jeans allowed?

In the dress code:

"Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes."

As you will notice, the dress code for Le Bistro is casual, just the smart version. :)

In the dress code:

"Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

Yep, jeans “dressed up”, thanks Keith. No sloppy t-shirts! We found Le Bistro and obviously Cagney’s the best food (but not a huge choice), and its nice to sit with like-minded people. We also made friends with the sweetest waitress!

936c1a502d6e1fae27bdb9be033a8f15.jpg

I kind of wish one of the venues had an old school cruise ship dress code. Jackets every night and dark suit/black tie one night.

Ah,,,,, no. "old school" is just that,,,,, "old" and not aligned with the contemporary cruiser. Heck, we were on a RCL cruise a couple of months ago and "formal night" had a lot of shorts in the MDR.