Fort Lauderdale airport advice please

lovescarborough

We will be looking for flights for our Jan 2019 cruise from Fort Lauderdale in the next few months and could really use some advice. We have always used flights from UK into Miami airport but now we have regular non stop flights into Fort Lauderdale available to us but we know nothing about the airport. Immigration at Miami is always a nightmare. Is Fort Lauderdale better ? Is it any better for facilities eg. food pre flight, which is virtually non existent after security at Miami ? Flight prices are very similar and obviously without the cost of the transfer from Miami. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you

I think that FLL is less chaotic, because of less international traffic.

Here no flight to FLL, My experience sometime is fluid, and others it's a chaos, it depends the time and how many International flights at the same time. I have more problems in MIA for departures. One time was in the line for check in bags and the employer (Cuban) close the windows because its lunch time and no replacement (AA), I lost my flight and family separated. Other time also AA after several delays we finally board 11PM and at the time of TAKEOFF the captain announce flight is cancelled, because when we arrive MTY I exceed my time by 5 minutes. No hotel only a voucher for next day breakfast we sleep in the 5 floor the Cubans name it Hotel California.

Bon Voyage

12670834_1710961112480019_4996801031904488487_n.jpg?oh=472efd2f6138b99784fa6921173bd2b6&oe=5A957880

On our November cruise on Reflection we flew from Gatwick to FLL on Norwegian Air Shuttle - nearly new Dreamliner plane.

Flights: We paid for the meal, seat selection and included baggage for £50 each flight. Included food was quite good, could also buy on board. The method was using the touch screen IFE system. Select what you want and then swipe a credit card below the screen. A couple of minutes later, a flight attendant would arrive with the order - much better than watching the slow progress of the trolley down the aisle. IFE was also quite good - usual stuff, movies, episodes of The Big Bang Theory, and of course the map channel.

Arrival: Having read nightmare reviews I was a bit worried but needn't have - we were the only international flight at the time arriving at that terminal. The terminal seemed a bit strange and old (it all seemed a bit 1950's)- used the touch screens for the customs form but and then went into the next room for immigration, Then down some stairs to the single baggage carousel. Collect baggage, clear customs and then outside to take a taxi - $25 with tip to a beach hotel between Las Olas and Sunrise. Touchdown was at 9:55pm, we were enjoying a G&T on the beachfront by 11:45.

Departure: Nothing much pre security. Post security - some restaurants and fast food places, but more like being in a bus station than an airport.

Would we do it again? Yes

Not sure about flying international to/from FLL, but given the choice, we avoid Miami - it's a large, chaotic, non-intuitive and disorganized airport. The Fort Lauderdale airport is MUCH smaller, so with that, less amenities, but if you're just looking to grab a bite to eat, you'll have options.

It's also a very quick cab ride from Port Everglades - as mentioned, don't attempt a Celebrity transfer. It's very easy to walk off the ship and grab a cab to the airport.

Go to the Broward.org website for FLL airport. It lists all the places to eat, drink and shop pre and post security. I have two friends who work in the international terminal. One at Chili's and the other at Golden Bear Grill, both pretty decent places to eat! The airport is 2.5 miles from Port Everglades. Do NOT take a transfer as someone above suggested as you have to wait for the bus to fill up. There are plenty of cabs/uber to take you to the port and or local hotel and vice versa post cruise....

I agree with most everything from the previous posts. You will find FLL less chaotic and crowded for your arrival. There aren't many decent places to eat in FLL but who cares, you're leaving as soon as you can. It's a relatively easy 45 min cab or UBER ride to MIA. I also find it a little more friendly and easier to stay in Fort Lauderdale before the cruise. After the cruise MIA is more convenient and perhaps has a better selection of departing flights. Why travel to FLL for fewer flights and not as nice of an airport to wait for a flight. If your airline flies into both airports, why don't you get the best of both worlds. Or perhaps you can fly different airlines each way. Fly into FLL and out of MIA. We have done on several occasions without any penalty from the airline.

Also never take a Celebrity transfer or wait for a group shuttle. A taxi or Uber is usually cheaper and more convenient.

Having lived in South Florida for 15+ years, I would NEVER NEVER NEVER fly in or out of MIA. Did I say never? I avoid it like the plague. There have been the odd occasion where I’ve had to and my original opinion is always upheld by my experiences. Sure, lots of food, but I don’t care about food. I can bring my own.

Now that there are direct flights to FLL, such as Norwegian Air from the UK, I am hoping that I will never have to fly into MIA. The flight schedules aren’t great but the kicker is that Norwegian have incredible rates.

To the OP, do not be afraid of a new airport, especially FLL. Sure there are times it’s busy, what major airport isn’t? Busy? Yes. Chaos? No.

I had a connection in FLL last weekend flying home from a disembarkation in SJU, and the new international / Southwest terminal was gorgeous!! Plus we often fly Southwest the majority of the time which does not fly to MIA, but I sill jump on an AA flight in or out of MIA if works better (and just not a fan of that airport colored to FLL)

I also often fly to south Florida by myself and prefer staying in the 17th St area even when cruising out of Port of Miami (like doing in January). Very walkable and safe, and you can find the very best lobster rolls in a strip mall shopping center (Kelly's Landing) along with a Total Wine if you plan to make any purchases to bring onboard based on current Cruiseline policies. Very walkable area with a variety of hotels. Best port views are Hilton Marina but I have stayed in several in the area (based on price at time of travel).

I fly into and out of Fort Lauderdale every month as we have a vacation home there. They have just opened up new additions to the terminals. I find the different restaurants to be good with reasonable prices. Not typical airport food. I have only eaten in terminal 3 and terminal 4. Fort lauderdale any day over Miami. FLL is for the most part new & clean and much friendlier. MIA is my least favorite airport in the US. There are always staff cleaning it and it makes is more pleasant. Lots of very nice shops as well.

Regarding transfers between the Port of Miami and FLL, we have found that Uber is a very reliable and cost effective method to transfer between FLL and the POM. While the standard reservation system with Uber is the method for securing a driver from FLL to the POM, you can pre-reserve a driver from the port to the airport.