Chicken Fried Steak with Country Gravy?

Kingofcool1947

I was so confused while reading this thread, trying to figure out what "chicken" fried steak is - was picturing a fried chicken breast. Glad I kept reading!

I live "up north" and we have Country Fried Steak; it's a cube steak that's pounded til tender then battered and deep fried. It's covered with Country Gravy and served - uummm!! Maybe this is the same thing?? Not sure. We eat it for breakfast but mostly for dinner.

I was so confused while reading this thread, trying to figure out what "chicken" fried steak is - was picturing a fried chicken breast. Glad I kept reading!

I live "up north" and we have Country Fried Steak; it's a cube steak that's pounded til tender then battered and deep fried. It's covered with Country Gravy and served - uummm!! Maybe this is the same thing?? Not sure. We eat it for breakfast but mostly for dinner.

Country fried or chicken fried. Same thing. It gets the name chicken fried because it's battered like a chicken for frying.

I know a lot of folks here may be offended as they absolutely love the stuff but I will never understand why.

Note: One of my sons loves the stuff. Go figure.

Thrak, Thrak, Thrak, who could ever be offended by a curmudgeon like you. My sense is that some people are having a bit of fun on this string.

Perhaps you could ask your son how he was able to acquire a taste for the exotic? It could be that some are unable to appreciate the finer nuances of fine dining because they have damaged their palate with too many bourbons in the Wheelhouse during an extended sip 'n sail cruise. Or , it could be an engineer / IT issue. You and the guy from San Antonio seem to be kindred spirits, avoiding the finer things in life like chicken fried steak and sausage gravy and.biscuits.

Interesting. Double flour, rather than the flour/egg/breadcrumb coating of schnitzel. And gravy with milk in it? Hmmmm! I think I'll pass! :confused:;)

Actually, this dish originates from German settlers in Texas. I have had it breaded like schnitzel also. Gravy with milk??? Hmm I think heavy cream goes much better!

Interesting. Double flour, rather than the flour/egg/breadcrumb coating of schnitzel. And gravy with milk in it? Hmmmm! I think I'll pass! :confused:;)

OK. I would suppose that, since you are so offended by milk in a sauce, you will take a pass on all baschemel sauces? Like that stuff in great lasagna? Come on, man, embrace the culture, love the cuisine, try it, savor it.

I'm from Oklahoma and I've had the real chicken fried steak. My wife is German and I've had the real schnitzel. Trust me, try the real chicken fried steak and you'll be throwing rocks at the next person who tries to serve you schnitzel.

BTW, it should be served with mashed potatoes, pinto beans, biscuits, gravy, and sliced raw onions. And a big glass of iced tea.

So this thread is still active I see. Personally I cannot understand why one has to drown CFS in gravy to make it taste good. If you need gravy to cover up the taste, why eat it. I like good mashed potatoes but without the fat laden gravy. My other observation is people who tell me they love grits but then they drown it in butter literally. If grits are so good, why do you have it swimming in butter. Questions to contemplate while sitting on my balcony on a sea day with the sun shining and warm temperatures. :D

The Gravy is NOT to cover up the taste of the steak, but rather to enhance it. An old saying aptly applies to this thread...

"For those who know - no explanation is necessary. For those who do not - none will suffice"

In short - if you didn't grow up in the South - You probably wouldn't get it. As to the idea of "drowning" grits in butter - SOMETHING will kill us all......what better way to go out than on a full stomach? :D

I'm from Oklahoma and I've had the real chicken fried steak. My wife is German and I've had the real schnitzel. Trust me, try the real chicken fried steak and you'll be throwing rocks at the next person who tries to serve you schnitzel.

BTW, it should be served with mashed potatoes, pinto beans, biscuits, gravy, and sliced raw onions. And a big glass of iced tea.

Indeed. While in the Army after serving in Viet Nam - I was stationed in Germany - from Mannheim to Heidelberg to Berlin and Bonn.

I always loved Jaeger Schnitzel (plain schnitzel never did it for me) and I've eaten CFS all my life. LOVE the stuff but again, that doesn't mean that I want it on a Cruise....I can wait until I get home for the best!

OK. I would suppose that, since you are so offended by milk in a sauce, you will take a pass on all baschemel sauces? Like that stuff in great lasagna? Come on, man, embrace the culture, love the cuisine, try it, savor it.

Bechamel sauce is quite different to a milky gravy IMHO but then I've never liked soups with milk in them either. Just a personal thing. I did have cream gravy in the US many years ago and I really didn't like it much.

I would definitely try the chicken fried steak though, as long as I could avoid the gravy. I enjoyed Celebrity's fried chicken with collard greens (loved them!), but wasn't a great fan of the grits. A bit meh!

Bechamel sauce is quite different to a milky gravy IMHO but then I've never liked soups with milk in them either. Just a personal thing. I did have cream gravy in the US many years ago and I really didn't like it much.

I would definitely try the chicken fried steak though, as long as I could avoid the gravy. I enjoyed Celebrity's fried chicken with collard greens (loved them!), but wasn't a great fan of the grits. A bit meh!

So, what kind of comfort food do you people in Australia eat?l

My comfort foods vary depending on my mood but these are some of my current ones:

Crisp bacon

Shepherds/cottage pie

Sausages and mash

Homemade lamb and barley soup

Roast pork with crackling, roast kumara (sweet potato) and braised cabbage

Fish (preferably flathead) and chips

Pasta with a fresh tomato and basil sauce

Asian dumplings (especially from DinTai Fung restaurants)

Ramen soup from a local Japanese Ramen restaurant (this is a relatively new comfort food)

My mother was born in the UK so some of my comfort foods are British-influenced, plus I grew up in NZ. Sydney has a strong Asian population and so some Asian dishes have become comfort foods over the years.

I can't guarantee these are typically Australian though. For a start, I rarely eat burgers but they would be on DH's comfort food list for sure.

Woops! I forgot the best comfort food of all - Vegemite on warm (not hot) buttered toast! Warm because then the butter only half melts and the rest mixes with the Vegemite.

Oh dear God..........I tried Vegemite exactly ONE time.....it was HORRIBLE. No thanks!! :D

If it would be anything like their biscuits and gravy offering No Thanks.

A couple of times I've been tempted to try it, but the biscuits look like hockey pucks and I wasn't sure about the brown bits floating in the gravy so I passed and glad I did.

Oh dear God..........I tried Vegemite exactly ONE time.....it was HORRIBLE. No thanks!! :D

It is an acquired taste.:* I prefer a similar product but GF, 'Ozemite.' Just use it sparingly, not loaded on like peanut butter.:halo:

Mums beef and vegetable soup

A roast with all the trimmings

Lamingtons

Pavlova

Baked beans on toast (must bring back some childhood memories I guess)

BBQ sausage sandwich

Meat Pie