New Intelligent elevators- Symphony?

mcatmcat

Hi

[emoji682]Royal is now testing intelligent elevators [emoji408]on the Harmony. Do you think that technology will be implemented on the Symphony[emoji924]

⬇️here is the link of the video [emoji336]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I played with the intelligent elevators last week. There were KONE engineers monitoring and making adjustments, so things seemed to change day by day (even the touch screen configuration changed at one point). When I got on the elevator it usually stopped at no more than two decks, and several times I got the express treatment. The problems were: 1) the system was only being tested on a few high traffic decks and 2) people would get on an elevator that was going in their direction without pre-selecting their destination. When that happened, and they pressed a button on the elevator, it would usually make the extra stops which kind of defeated the system. However, one night I had an awkward encounter with a couple where apparently the husband led his wife onto the elevator without pre-selecting their deck, and then when the elevator didn't stop where they expected, the wife (who was well aware of the new system) became quite upset with her husband. In any event, I filled out a survey I came across at the end of the week and encouraged them to keep it going. It seems like a good idea.

Do these elevators shock kids when they press the buttons for every floor? Now that would be an intelligent elevator.

That would be interesting. I know some elevators will automatically cancel all calls when too many buttons are pushed.

That would be interesting. I know some elevators will automatically cancel all calls when too many buttons are pushed.

After not allowing us to drink, gamble, shop or any of the things that sounds like fun, after looking at paintings that didn't even look as if the artist tried, after forcing us to try eating snails (!), after having to remain silent for hours watching the most boring show ever, in stupid clothes too, the adults found another way to remove one of the best things on the ship because they needed to arrive at deck 8 about 30 seconds earlier. ~a kid, probably

What are "intelligent elevators"?

Instead of one elevator going to 3, 5, 9, 11 & 12 they'll dedicate one elevator to 3 - 5, one to the mid floors of 9 - 11 and then another to 12 and higher. It stops the elevators from going all over the place taking extra time. It's supposed to cut down on elevator time by grouping people who are going to a similar area on one elevator.

I just hope they aren’t designed by the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation or they might end up sulking on deck 1.

(RIP, Douglas Adams)

The Sirius Cybernetics Corporation

Notice

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

This may also be the motto of Royals IT department..

From what I can see you do not tell it how many people are going a particular deck. Presumably when your lift arrives it could be full. You would have to start the whole process again.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is correct. Or sometimes the lift arrives with a roving piano that takes up half of the space while the piano player is singing “The Morning After” from The Poseidon Adventure. True story.

We have these elevators in our research towers at work. Mind you not nearly as busy as a cruise ship but they work well. In the lobby you press what floor you want to go to and the kiosk tells you what car to go in. For example I want floor 7, kiosk says go to car Y. Next guy up presses floor 5, he gets car U. Going down to the lobby, same thing go to car Z. Now someone going down might also be told to get in car Z and then the car will stop on that floor. My problem is sometimes I forget which car I am supposed to go into (usually because I am discussing something with a co-worker) and then I have to push the kiosk again or risk getting in the wrong car. One time I got in a car with a co-worker (we might not have been in the right car) and went to our meeting room (all the rooms are the same on each floor) and couldn't figure out why no one else was there- then we found out we were on floor 5 and not 7!!!

As someone said, no buttons inside the car, except the open and close button (and the emergency button). That will stop kids from pushing each one once inside and running off. Because the car may pass your floor on the way to another and be either empty or almost empty and the cruise ships love the glass front doors some might be distressed seeing this happen. What happens if you get in the wrong car? You will just need to get off on the floor you called, push the kiosk and get back on the right car.

I was on Harmony last week (Dec 2-9) and I stayed on Deck 8 aft. We had the KONE system in the bank closest to us. I LOVED it!

It eliminated the guesswork of WHICH elevator would open. It told you which elevator to stand by. This eliminated "cutters". You know, those people who walk up as the elevator opens and cut in front of the people who have been waiting patiently like a normal person.

It also helped because I, sometimes, had a stroller with me and I was able to get on an elevator quickly without the hassle of dashing across the elevator bank only to be stuck waiting again.

That being said, it only seemed to work well in the elevator banks that had them. Not every floor had them. So while the elevator closest to me on deck 8 had it, deck 5 of the same bank did not. So when leaving the Promenade (a high traffic floor) it became frustrating again to deal with the wait and see method like the olden days!

Surprisingly we never ran in to an issue of a "full" elevator when using the system. We did run in to that problem on the deck and banks that did not have the device.

I liked the screen set up shown in the picture above. The other set up, tested later in the week, with just floor numbers was not as user friendly. On a big ship I liked the reminders of those main venues on each floor.

My family ran in to the guys from KONE and we told them our feedback. I thought one of them mentioned that the number of times/people that tapped the same floor button WAS factored in to the algorithm. I suggested they start weighing the elevators to determine if they are full. Maybe that sounds outlandish, maybe it's a possibility!

Practique- sounds like you may have run in to my mom and her boyfriend. Sounds like something she would have done to him, ;p

That is correct. Or sometimes the lift arrives with a roving piano that takes up half of the space while the piano player is singing “The Morning After” from The Poseidon Adventure. True story.

Whatever next. All adds to the fun. I hope they have it on Symphony.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I liked the screen set up shown in the picture above. The other set up, tested later in the week, with just floor numbers was not as user friendly. On a big ship I liked the reminders of those main venues on each floor.

Practique- sounds like you may have run in to my mom and her boyfriend. Sounds like something she would have done to him, ;p

I also preferred the first screen setup, the second one was not informative. Lol about that couple, it just looked like everyone was a bit tired and wanted to get back to their rooms!

79ff78d30182455e1f8dbbc2c492dc25.jpg

If they would program the current elevators to ignore the Floor Call buttons when the car is at capacity and only go to the floors it needs to unload passengers this would really speed things up during peak usage. If you can't get more people in the elevator there is no sense in stopping at a floor that is not going to unload anyone.

I hope they add the ability and use it, to record when crew members use their keys to bypass the system and go directly to a deck express. I understand using that in some cases, but on Oasis in 2016 it was being abused.

I hope they add the ability and use it, to record when crew members use their keys to bypass the system and go directly to a deck express. I understand using that in some cases, but on Oasis in 2016 it was being abused.

What's "abuse" in this case? Crew going to their cabin? Or crew rushing to their next task while guests need a new drink or a nap really quickly?

What's "abuse" in this case? Crew going to their cabin? Or crew rushing to their next task while guests need a new drink or a nap really quickly?

The most egregious case I saw and could document was on Oasis in 2016. My wife and I were going to dinner on Formal night and were taking the elevator from deck 12, down to deck 5. We got in the elevator and the door's closed and some sound came over the elevator speaker. It was garbled and we just looked at each other. My wife said, "It sounded like it said something about an emergency. Suddenly the elevator went up in stead and down and the display that said what floor we were on said EMERGENCY of an abbreviation of that. The elevator went straight up to deck 17 where we thought we might see a stretcher and medical personnel. We thought we might have to get out, but instead we saw two crew members casually get on, I think they inserted a key, hit deck 5, fortunately that is where we were going, and they quietly rode down with us and then got Coffee at the Promende Cafe. Lots of people on that cruise reported similar things.

I just hope they aren’t designed by the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation or they might end up sulking on deck 1.

(RIP, Douglas Adams)

The Sirius Cybernetics Corporation

Notice

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

This may also be the motto of Royals IT department..

Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. ...