Carrying on your luggage

We will be arriving at the Port by car so I'd like to carry all my luggage onboard. Does anyone know the maximum dimensions of a suitcase that can fit through the xray machine prior to boarding. I spoke with RCCL and they said as long as it can fit you can carry it on but the Rep I spoke with didn't know those dimensions.

Thanks

We will be arriving at the Port by car so I'd like to carry all my luggage onboard. Does anyone know the maximum dimensions of a suitcase that can fit through the xray machine prior to boarding. I spoke with RCCL and they said as long as it can fit you can carry it on but the Rep I spoke with didn't know those dimensions.

Thanks

The machines I have seen are just like airport scanners. So carry-on size. If it's full-size luggage it will have to be checked.

Figure it's the same size as the machines at the airport security point, which means not much larger than 22". But why? If you arrive before 1 or 1:30 you won't be able to go to your cabin and therefore you will have to schlep your luggage around until cabins are ready.

Average rolling carry-on is OK. Don't expect a full size suitcase to fit in those scanners.

Not sure what arriving by car has to do with it. Once people are on site with their bags, how they arrived is irrelevant to the luggage check in process.

Thanks

It can depend on the port. I know the machines at Terminal 1 in Port Canaveral can fit a 26" suitcase since I put one through. We were visiting Port Canaveral as a port stop on Anthem and visited my Mom. She sent a 26" suitcase home with us so she didn't have to pay the luggage fee on her flight home. I didn't think it would fit and would need to be hand checked, but the agent told me to put it up on the belt because it would fit. It just fit through the opening.

Average rolling carry-on is OK. Don't expect a full size suitcase to fit in those scanners.

Not sure what arriving by car has to do with it. Once people are on site with their bags, how they arrived is irrelevant to the luggage check in process.

My point was that if I was arriving by plane, then I'd have the RCCL rep take the luggage or if we came by shuttle then i'd have them take care of it. But thank you for the info.

It can depend on the port. I know the machines at Terminal 1 in Port Canaveral can fit a 26" suitcase since I put one through. We were visiting Port Canaveral as a port stop on Anthem and visited my Mom. She sent a 26" suitcase home with us so she didn't have to pay the luggage fee on her flight home. I didn't think it would fit and would need to be hand checked, but the agent told me to put it up on the belt because it would fit. It just fit through the opening.

You are lucky because I have witnessed terminal workers tell people to go check their bags because "they are too big to carry on" without even trying to fit them. "Just because they can."

It was a port stop, no option but to carry it on.

Good point.

Still, I'm almost surprised that they didn't refuse it or insist on hand-searching it.

I have several tales about the unnecessary nastiness of pier workers at Port Canaveral. 😣

Good point.

Still, I'm almost surprised that they didn't refuse it or insist on hand-searching it.

I have several tales about the unnecessary nastiness of pier workers at Port Canaveral. 😣

I fully expected it to be hand searched and asked the agent as I approached. She told me to put it up on the belt because it would fit. She asked if I had done a lot of shopping and I told her it was my Mom's stuff and that she was saving money. She just laughed and off we went. I think a person's attitude towards the screeners goes a long way, same with the customs agents.

This last time, I brought a suitcase down for my Mom and the official at the door told me not to fill that up with alcohol and try to bring it back on. I told him, I was just going to be bringing back Christmas presents. I only took a 21" roll aboard this time since we were renting a car and driving to her and would have had to abandon the suitcase if they didn't let us on with it. Last time, she had met us and could have taken back the bag had it been rejected.