Specialty Dining Reservations Strategy

sakigemcam

Hello Cruisers -

If we pre-book specialty dining, can we seek out special offers onboard and then swap out our reservations? We'd obviously rather get a deal onboard but also want to ensure we'll be doing some specialty dining if not.

Thanks very much! :cool:

From what I've read on CC, the deals you get aren't really going to be much better that the value of the packages you can buy pre cruise. For example, the four night package at $109USD works out to $27.25 each and most people are saying the deals they score on board range from $25 - $35 depending on the restaurant.

Not worth the haggling in my opinion, I'd just go with the package.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If you purchased a 4 night package at full price($125pp) that is $31.25 for each meal; so to beat that in Murano would require a on-board discount of 40% which is not very likely. If you got a dining package during a sale even less likely to beat the price on the ship.

Just off Reflection. We were Aqua Class, and on embarkation day we happened by the gelateria. The young lady there noticed our seapass card for Aqua class and offered us 50% discount (2 for 1) in Murano. That's our favorite specialty restaurant, so it was a no brainer! She asked what time we wanted and made the reservation for us right then and there.

Ughghgh I just checked and the packages are sold out online. We've been waiting for friends to be ready to handle these and now they're sold out. So what's our strategy for onboard?

We have seen the packages on sale at embarkation. I think they only sell a limited number online. First night speciality dining is usually available at a discount as well.

And once you've got your package, once on board book all your speciality restaurants for the cruise, even if you may change things slightly later. The popular times on the popular days in the popular restaurants get booked up very quickly. We booked within a couple of hours of boarding the Silhouette in October, and some "slots" we wanted had already gone, necessitating a reworking of our plans.

Edited by Wiltonian
clarity

We have purchased a package prior to the cruise and sometimes upgrade on board. For example if the first night is offered at 1/2 price, we use that , and use the package for other days. See a restaurant agent when you board. They have little stations all over the ship, especially upon entering the buffet area. Enjoy your cruise.

Enjoy your cruise

Depends on when and where you are sailing.

Short itinerary with lots of green pea sailors, book as early as you can.

Longer itinerary with mostly experienced cruisers, book on the ship with discount. These are the cruises we take. Dined in specialties over 2 dozen times. Smallest discount, 35%. Largest discount 50%. Only time we ever paid full price was eons ago when the Ocean Liners restaurants were $25. Wouldn't ever consider paying full price now.

Longer itinerary with mostly experienced cruisers, book on the ship with discount. These are the cruises we take. Dined in specialties over 2 dozen times. Smallest discount, 35%. Largest discount 50%. Only time we ever paid full price was eons ago when the Ocean Liners restaurants were $25. Wouldn't ever consider paying full price now.

With a good package and additional discounts, you pay about $20 to $25 pp the most for a specialty dinner- The reason we book off the ship, and then adjust if a better price on the ship which you can do, is to lock in a time we like- and then we discount "final" price if a lower rate is available.

We have cruised over 40 times and are considered experienced cruisers- Celebrity will always lower the price of dining if available on or off the ship.

I've found that early morning in front of the MDR there are waiters offering at a minimum discount of 40%. If you get there early enough and say no thanks but can I make an offer they usually take it. I've usually always ask for 50% and on port days they usually take it. Seems sea days the specialty restaurants are fuller.

Agree 100%. Have gotten 50% off on 14/15 night cruises, but never more than 30% on shorter cruises, and on our last 10 day cruise they refused to offer any discounts except the first night as they claimed the restaurants were 'full' (which they were not, as walking by would attest - perhaps that was a new strategy). You must be a better negotiator to get that 35%:)