Cancel After Final

Pickels

If you purchased insurance thru Princess it's very easy and medical documentation isn't required.

Princess has a "Cancel for any Reason " option. They will give you all the information and cancellation notice with the penalty . You submit as Cancel for any reason , no documentation is required.

Other companies will require all the proper documentation.

This is not true, if you have Princess Insurance, you must submit your claim to the insurance company either way. If it is covered by the insurance you will get a check for the full amount, less the insurance premium. If it is denied, it is submitted back to Princess as a "cancel for any reason" and you will receive a credit with Princess for the amount specified by your policy useable within one year on Princess Cruises.

It really would be rare for a doctor's letter to make cancellation if a cruise without penalty possible. Airlines used to allow cancellation without penalty with a doctor's letter. Too many people were able to present one.

That's why bereavement fares disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

However, do note that you can be refunded taxes included in an airline ticket price with proper MD documentation.

Note also that travel savvy credit cards used to purchase those tix provide Trip cancel/interrupt insurance coverage though most cards do not waive pre-existing conditions during the "look back period" preceding date of purchase.

READ THE FINE PRINT ALWAYS!

This is not true, if you have Princess Insurance, you must submit your claim to the insurance company either way. If it is covered by the insurance you will get a check for the full amount, less the insurance premium. If it is denied, it is submitted back to Princess as a "cancel for any reason" and you will receive a credit with Princess for the amount specified by your policy useable within one year on Princess Cruises.

Sorry I will disagree. I went thru this process late April.

1 - Cancel with Princess . They will send you a satement of the no refundable amount and the insurance claim phone number.

2 - Call the insurance company

3 -They will send you the insurance claim document and tracking number in the email.

4 - Fill out the form . In the reason you put "cancel for any reason"

5 - Then you can email , Fax or Postal Mail to them the paperwork ( including claim and confirmation from Princess)

6 - Then in about 19 days (if emailed) , you can call about the claim.

7 - When approved you'll get an email (easiest method & fastest) saying approved and funds are being transferred to Princess

8 - In a week Princess sends you a conformation.

This Method doesn't require a Doctors letter. Total time about 4 to 6 weeks.

If you claim full medical , you'll have to submit full documentation. If denied you lose your money.

We are having to cancel our upcoming cruise... end of Feb.

My husband has had a medical emergency, and HOPEFULLY, will be recuperated as much as can be hoped for in March.

Definitely not by the end of Feb.

We just got back from his first post-op eval this morning.

We just recently bought insurance thru Nationwide.

It is still within the review-and-cancel window.

We are supposed to have the Waiver of Pre-existing Conditions... But I am not counting on them stepping forward and paying on this easily.

I believe that Princess will still refund 1/2 of our fare, at this point.

Thank goodness, we held off until the last minute, and were just now getting ready to hit the button to book our flights.

We are going to have to explore our options here.

Maybe try to find out if our policy will actually pay out on this, and honor the pre-existing condition waiver.

Maybe Princess refunds 1/2, and then we file with Nationwide for the other half.

Right now we are still overwhelmed with my husbands situation.

But, we are def. going to have to figure this out ASAP.

We are having to cancel our upcoming cruise... end of Feb.

My husband has had a medical emergency, and HOPEFULLY, will be recuperated as much as can be hoped for in March.

Definitely not by the end of Feb.

We just got back from his first post-op eval this morning.

We just recently bought insurance thru Nationwide.

It is still within the review-and-cancel window.

We are supposed to have the Waiver of Pre-existing Conditions... But I am not counting on them stepping forward and paying on this easily.

I believe that Princess will still refund 1/2 of our fare, at this point.

Thank goodness, we held off until the last minute, and were just now getting ready to hit the button to book our flights.

We are going to have to explore our options here.

Maybe try to find out if our policy will actually pay out on this, and honor the pre-existing condition waiver.

Maybe Princess refunds 1/2, and then we file with Nationwide for the other half.

Right now we are still overwhelmed with my husbands situation.

But, we are def. going to have to figure this out ASAP.

If the emergency and/or it's related new diagnosis or treatment change for a previous diagnosis occurred during the insurer's "look back" period prior to purchase: THAT is a "preexisting condition." Whether it's waived depends on your compliance with the insurance purchase window requirements related to the cruise purchase payment(s).

If, during the look back period, there's nothing related to the cancellation for medical reasons, there is no "pre-existing condition."

Read your fine print regarding who pays for what. The insurance may specify coverage for non-reimbursable expenses.

And, if you're considering trying to double (or triple) dip across different insurers, be aware that some US states' laws do look too kindly at that.

Thanks!

Since we did not purchase the insurance when we made the deposit (which is refundable, and I mistakenly was thinking that we could purchase until we paid before final payment date NOT TRUE!!!) We did pay a bit more to get a plan that had that waiver if purchased within that window.

Right now, Princess should cover 1/2 of the fare....

If what was posted here by one expert is true.

Have they ever been known to do more than that??? Credit towards a rescheduled cruise? Anything at all?

Given the info I just posted...

Does anybody have any slight idea on what we might expect thru Princess????

Your profile doesn’t state if you live in the US, but if you do, the cancellation penalty up until 57 days before the cruise is only the deposit amount. Princess would give you everything else back. I believe you are 67 days before your cruise. Pam posted the cancellation penalty chart on the first page of this thread.

Thanks!

Since we did not purchase the insurance when we made the deposit (which is refundable, and I mistakenly was thinking that we could purchase until we paid before final payment date NOT TRUE!!!) We did pay a bit more to get a plan that had that waiver if purchased within that window.

Right now, Princess should cover 1/2 of the fare....

If what was posted here by one expert is true.

Have they ever been known to do more than that??? Credit towards a rescheduled cruise? Anything at all?

There are a few companies that will provide a PEI waiver with purchase before final payment (rather than w/i XX days of initial cruise deposit.

Thanks you guys...

Gotta love the experts here on CC.

I think we will be able cancel and they will just keep the deposit.

That is good news, and simplifies everything for us!

If you purchased insurance and your med issue was not a PEI [see my earlier post] or it was and you had a PEI waiver, it will cover the unrefundable deposit and any other such costs. Check your credit card used for the cruise, air tix, etc. if it's travel savvy, you're covered there as well (if no PEI).

While it's nice that you call the responders "experts," please recognize that there is a tremendous amount of misinformation posted here every single day.

I am in the priocess of cancelling my dads cruise for January 7th. We have insurance. But we lost on a cancellation fee of 50.00 for a scooter i rented. (never again will I do that ahead of time) we lose insurance money paid- government taxes and air fare

If you do not have insurance the cruise lines will not really work with you. Good luck

I am in the priocess of cancelling my dads cruise for January 7th. We have insurance. But we lost on a cancellation fee of 50.00 for a scooter i rented. (never again will I do that ahead of time) we lose insurance money paid- government taxes and air fare

If you do not have insurance the cruise lines will not really work with you. Good luck

Either your purchased trip insurance or your credit card purchase insurance (e.g., United Explorer Visa or Chase Sapphire) should cover this non-refundable scooter deposit expense. Likewise, if you've cancelled air tix, check your purchased insurance or CC coverage. Even without insurance, many airlines will refund taxes for documented medical issues.

We had to cancel a cruise earlier this year due to medical issue. We even got non-refundable show tix in London reimbursed thanks to well written (and documented) request as well as gracious service personnel at the other end.

My husband and I needed to cancel a few days before our Jan. 2017 cruise for a medical emergency. We had the Princess premium insurance. I first called Princess, told them the situation, and they issued a credit for the taxes and pre-paid tips. I then went on-line to the insurance company website, stated my claim, and printed off the appropriate forms. I submitted the forms to our doctor, and after he filled them out, I mailed the info to the insurance company. We received a credit on our charge for all the remaining money we had paid except the insurance cost. Southwest required a letter from the doctor stating that we could not fly on both legs of the flight. They also issued a credit for the flight.

Yes, I had been mistaken... and I was not finding that Cancellation schedule posted by Pam, onlline.

So that post was very helpful!!!

We were still within the window to only lose our deposit. So good!!!

We asked if there was any way they might credit that deposit to reschedule the cruise. Basically the same cruise that we still have on deposit for later in the year. I think maybe the super low promo rate we had was 'non refundable deposit'. So a no-go on that one.

But, all considered, we came out well.

We have cancelled the trip insurance that we had bought.

So, we will basically get back the same amount of money that we paid for the insurance as we paid Princess on that deposit.

Even - Steven!!!

A note about insurance.

For trip or cruise insurance... I don't think it is usually recommended to buy the plan offered by the carrier.

It is usually pretty limited.

Like the Princess policy that did not cover the flights or any other expenses.

A good Trip Insurance policy covers the whole trip... Door to Door from home and back. Flights, Hotels, etc...

I am NO real expert.

But, IMHO, it is better to get a good Trip Insurance.

I am not making a specific recommendation. But just wanted to mention that it seems that Nationwide offers policies that are designed specifically for cruises. And, those do not have to be purchased and paid until final payment date. They cover things like delays, missed ports, etc...

There are sites online where one can compare the different policies and quotes offered by most of the major Insurance Companies.

Sorry I will disagree. I went thru this process late April.

1 - Cancel with Princess . They will send you a satement of the no refundable amount and the insurance claim phone number.

2 - Call the insurance company

3 -They will send you the insurance claim document and tracking number in the email.

4 - Fill out the form . In the reason you put "cancel for any reason"

5 - Then you can email , Fax or Postal Mail to them the paperwork ( including claim and confirmation from Princess)

6 - Then in about 19 days (if emailed) , you can call about the claim.

7 - When approved you'll get an email (easiest method & fastest) saying approved and funds are being transferred to Princess

8 - In a week Princess sends you a conformation.

This Method doesn't require a Doctors letter. Total time about 4 to 6 weeks.

If you claim full medical , you'll have to submit full documentation. If denied you lose your money.

Isn't that what I said and of course the first thing you do is notify Princess to stop the clock.

Yes, I had been mistaken... and I was not finding that Cancellation schedule posted by Pam, onlline.

So that post was very helpful!!!

We were still within the window to only lose our deposit. So good!!!

We asked if there was any way they might credit that deposit to reschedule the cruise. Basically the same cruise that we still have on deposit for later in the year. I think maybe the super low promo rate we had was 'non refundable deposit'. So a no-go on that one.

But, all considered, we came out well.

We have cancelled the trip insurance that we had bought.

So, we will basically get back the same amount of money that we paid for the insurance as we paid Princess on that deposit.

Even - Steven!!!

A note about insurance.

For trip or cruise insurance... I don't think it is usually recommended to buy the plan offered by the carrier.

It is usually pretty limited.

Like the Princess policy that did not cover the flights or any other expenses.

A good Trip Insurance policy covers the whole trip... Door to Door from home and back. Flights, Hotels, etc...

I am NO real expert.

But, IMHO, it is better to get a good Trip Insurance.

I am not making a specific recommendation. But just wanted to mention that it seems that Nationwide offers policies that are designed specifically for cruises. And, those do not have to be purchased and paid until final payment date. They cover things like delays, missed ports, etc...

There are sites online where one can compare the different policies and quotes offered by most of the major Insurance Companies.

Still missing the point that the credit card you used to purchase the cruise, air, etc. may have its own coverage. If you "lost" the deposit or the value of the separate air tix (or at least the taxes within), you are not "even steven".

We don't have that cheap of option for us in the US. Actually year long insurance is somewhat limited and expensive in the US.

That is not true. I have seen and actually have purchased annual travel insurance policies for <$100/year. Sure they can be a bit more limiting, especially with the "cancel for any reason" provision. But my main reason for travel insurance is for things I can't self-insure. I mainly get travel insurance for med evac and repatriation, but I have had claims for trip delay, trip interruption and baggage delay too. What I have is no longer available on the open market, but they continue to renew mine annually. But I have seen other policies for about the same price - def under $200/year for very good coverage.

That is not true. I have seen and actually have purchased annual travel insurance policies for <$100/year. Sure they can be a bit more limiting, especially with the "cancel for any reason" provision. But my main reason for travel insurance is for things I can't self-insure. I mainly get travel insurance for med evac and repatriation, but I have had claims for trip delay, trip interruption and baggage delay too. What I have is no longer available on the open market, but they continue to renew mine annually. But I have seen other policies for about the same price - def under $200/year for very good coverage.

I have looked at several and they don't cover everything that I need (though I don't need cancel for any reason). I also found their medical coverage extremely limited. My coverage outside of the US is minimal so this matters a lot. $10K - $20K is not enough medical coverage for real accidents that occur (this is why I am not a Princess Insurance fan). I randomly pulled up 3 policies this morning and they had $20K or less of medical coverage. If anyone has had any type of illness or accident, you know $20K doesn't cover much.

I know annual policies are more popular in other countries compared to the US.

Edited by Coral

If you have a doctors stating that you cannot travel due to an illness. The reason I know this, is because it happened to my girlfriends husband. They had already made the final payment. Double check with you TA or Princess in case the rules have changed this year.

That's not the same as cancelling after final due date

i cant understand why so many Americans travel without travel insurance, its almost a daily topic on here

When I ask people if they have travel insurance and when they say "no, nothing will ever happen to me," I point them to cruise critic and the horror stories of people getting into different situations and they have no travel insurance and lose. I don't get it either. Those people injured and killed on the bus in the Caribbean the other day made me wonder if any of them carried travel insurance. If there was ever an example, that's one of them.

When I ask people if they have travel insurance and when they say "no, nothing will ever happen to me," I point them to cruise critic and the horror stories of people getting into different situations and they have no travel insurance and lose. I don't get it either. Those people injured and killed on the bus in the Caribbean the other day made me wonder if any of them carried travel insurance. If there was ever an example, that's one of them.

To be fair, everyone’s situation is unique, and there are different types of insurance. I don’t routinely insure my trips because I do think that I have a lower than average chance of needing to cancel, and I’m prepared to lose the money if I do. My health insurance also covers me outside the country so I’m not too worried about the injury/illness (and yes, I realize I have to pay upfront and have high limit credit cards with me). I have also gotten medical only policies before and they are soooooo much cheaper than comprehensive insurance. So, just because someone doesn’t want to pay a few hundred to hedge their bet against cancellation, doesn’t mean they are up a creek if they get hurt on the trip. I also have life insurance (provided by work) so if I die outside the country it should cover bringing me back.

I have no problems with people not buying insurance (especially if you have good coverage outside of the US for medical). Though - if you are not going to buy, don't come here or contact the cruise line and expect a refund for your cruise fare if you have to cancel.