Passengers killed in bus accident

Jdfireman

Sending prayers and love to all who have been affected by this tragedy. Sam...I don’t know you but my heart dropped when I read your post. Condolences to you and your family. I’m just returning from a cruise on Allure and was completely in the dark about this. Unimaginable!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anyone caught using a phone it is a 6 point penalty and a fine.

12 points gets you a 12 month driving ban.

The courts have the power to sentence someone who causes death by dangerous driving(Speeding,drink driving or using a phone) to a life prison sentence but in reality it is left to a judge to decide and it could be anything from 3-20 years.

Such s pity lorry and van drivers always seem to pay no attention to this on our motorways Grapau.

I’m thinking of all those affected by this tragedy ☹️

Such s pity lorry and van drivers always seem to pay no attention to this on our motorways Grapau.

I’m thinking of all those affected by this tragedy ☹️

I agree.

The lorry and van drivers who should be professional drivers are the worst culprits with regards to using their phones and because as a Rep i drive a lot i experience all sorts of dangerous driving every day.

So if you didn't hear anything, all is well!

You really should not have been disseminating information that you could not verify, even though you meant well. I hope you did not cause additional pain to those family members impacted.

• 2 weeks later...

My sister and I were on the Serenade of the Seas docked Costa Maya when the bus accident occurred. We had talked about taking the excursion but decided to go relax at the beach instead.....thank you Lord!! One of the passengers that was on the bus did die during the night after the accident. The ship was very subdued for the rest of the cruise. I had heard that the bus drivier was speeding. My sis and I noticed on the way to the beach that day that the highway had curbs.....and were told that the speeding bus hit the curb and then flipped. So very sad. I'm going to have to rethink every going on another cruise line or independent excursion!! My thoughts and prayers to all of the victims, family and friends.

My sister and I were on the Serenade of the Seas docked Costa Maya when the bus accident occurred. We had talked about taking the excursion but decided to go relax at the beach instead.....thank you Lord!! One of the passengers that was on the bus did die during the night after the accident. The ship was very subdued for the rest of the cruise. I had heard that the bus drivier was speeding. My sis and I noticed on the way to the beach that day that the highway had curbs.....and were told that the speeding bus hit the curb and then flipped. So very sad. I'm going to have to rethink every going on another cruise line or independent excursion!! My thoughts and prayers to all of the victims, family and friends.

It’s nothing to do with cruise line. It’s a 3rd party that does the excursions. All cruise lines probably use the same ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my humble opinion, the cruise line is obligated to contract with reputable tour companies that have procedures in place to ensure that quality equipment that is properly serviced is used and that they employ quality drivers that drive safely and maintain an excellent driving record - and to regularly verify that this is the case. I don't think any of us have enough info to know whether the cruise line, and the tour company, had been doing their continued due diligence.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Having booked and participated in numerous private tours all over the world, many times we cannot book with a vendor as the cruise lines have them locked up but IMHO I don't believe they vet the tour companies any better than we do...it's the luck of the draw.

There have been accidents with private tours and ship sponsored tours,..no way to discern the difference.

This is a very sad tragedy and there's no way to determine who's better or worse...and who knows if the driver was speeding because he wanted to or because he had a deadline....:rolleyes:

Like anything else, we might never know the answers and will continue to travel.

My husband and I took this tour last week and I noticed that the seat belts were on top of the seats. There was one missing when I first sat down, so I moved to a seat with a belt. The bus driver drove responsibly, never sped or passed other vehicles. Maybe he has always been a safe driver or perhaps the recent tragedy motivated him to drive carefully. I felt safe on the bus. I admit with the recent tragedy fresh on my mind I was glad the tour was over, but only because of what had happened just a week earlier.

It’s nothing to do with cruise line. It’s a 3rd party that does the excursions. All cruise lines probably use the same ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, it has nothing to do with the cruise lines. They just make money off of selling the excursions.

Having booked and participated in numerous private tours all over the world, many times we cannot book with a vendor as the cruise lines have them locked up but IMHO I don't believe they vet the tour companies any better than we do...it's the luck of the draw.

There have been accidents with private tours and ship sponsored tours,..no way to discern the difference.

This is a very sad tragedy and there's no way to determine who's better or worse...and who knows if the driver was speeding because he wanted to or because he had a deadline....:rolleyes:

Like anything else, we might never know the answers and will continue to travel.

You are completely right. Royal drops excursions on the time, and if you ask them why they give the same standard line written by their lawyers that says without directly blaming a vendor that they make choices based on the safety of their guests. Royal started using a different bus tour that we had used in Key West. So the next time we went there we booked with them. A few weeks later, still months from the cruise they canceled it. I called and asked and got the same canned response. It was way too early to say it was canceled because of low numbers. I called the vendor directly and they told me that Royal wanted them to drop their price more to increase their margin.